You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Length question: shirt sleeves & jacket sleeves

#1 2017-12-15 13:12:18

Berkeley_Breathes

Length question: shirt sleeves & jacket sleeves

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#2 2017-12-15 14:44:23

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: Length question: shirt sleeves & jacket sleeves

It could be either e.g. jacket sleeve too short or shirt sleeve too long, or both. Another factor, that I've only become aware of recently, can be that a lot of ivy jackets have high sleeve holes and if the jacket itself is a bit tight it can cause the sleeve to ride up, one of my suits does this. You can see this with the top picture of Buckley, the sleeve of his jacket is pulling tight around the top of his arms ... or is it just the way he is sitting?

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#3 2017-12-15 16:35:55

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#4 2017-12-16 09:03:07

subliminal kid

Last edited by subliminal kid (2017-12-16 09:04:57)

#5 2017-12-16 23:06:42

Berkeley_Breathes

#6 2017-12-17 00:56:26

Pennies_and_Oxfords

As do I. Neither of my jackets show shirt cuffs, partially because of laziness but primarily because it's not worth it to spend some money to alter a half- or quarter-inch.

De gustibus non disputandum est.

36R | 15/32 | 32x29.5 | EU42 | 7 3/8

#7 2017-12-17 01:24:02

Classic

#8 2017-12-17 02:55:24

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#9 2017-12-17 04:20:10

Babbling Brooks

Are you talking about your JPress one? I was never quite happy with my one, fitted me but wasn't mad on the cut.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere.

#10 2017-12-17 05:14:31

subliminal kid

That's exactly it, Woof. Personally I have only started wearing jackets recently and at the moment I only own one that fits perfectly right. The other ones are wearable with the right shirt, but I will look to gradually replace them with better fitting jackets or have them altered. But right now I have to work with what I have.

#11 2017-12-17 19:24:07

Berkeley_Breathes

Yes, I agree completely with woof, and that has been my trajectory completely. I remember not caring much at all about those small fit details in the past, and now (while I applaud those like subliminal kid who work what they have with confidence) I'm a stickler for sleeve length being correct...

Group and zero... First get the right pieces, then get them to fit! smile

For those like subliminal kid just starting out on the jackets and suits road, my unsolicited advice - do take the time to measure yourself correctly. Then take the time to find one jacket that fits you*perfectly.* The first jacket I got that fit perfectly was a revelation and only cost me $35, a vintage Brooks Brothers. Then use that jacket's measurements to help you decide if the fit of others is right for you... Plus it can help if you need alterations to have an example to show a tailor... It costs less in the long run to buy correct from the start than have to adjust everything later on...

But I also like having some idiosyncrasies in my jackets... sleeves slightly different lengths (still fitting correctly), slightly different lengths... Same with shirts... Gives them personality smile

#12 2017-12-17 23:06:18

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#13 2017-12-18 06:56:58

Berkeley_Breathes

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Length question: shirt sleeves & jacket sleeves

Board footer