You are not logged in.

  • Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

#1 2018-01-11 13:15:03

Kingston1an
Member
Posts: 3448

Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

Has anyone got one of these yet?

There is one in an Abraham Moon cloth, but before that there was one in a Magee Donegal cloth.

Interested to hear more about both.


"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

 

#2 2018-01-12 04:34:34

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 6185

Re: Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

I haven't bought either of those but I have seen and tried them on and I do have the cord jacket. The latest H&J jackets are really good in my opinion and they have got the cut, detailing and shoulders just right. As they don't have a bricks and mortar store they are able to produce a excellent quality item at an very attractive price.

They are usually there in Putney on a Thursday and happy for you to call round (phone ahead), try on stuff and have a chat. They might even give you a cup of tea. You could go to the River Cafe before and the Railway Arms after. PM me if you want Lloyd's number.


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#3 2018-01-12 09:49:11

Kingston1an
Member
Posts: 3448

Re: Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

Thanks Woof. Been there before to buy a blazer. Grey herringbone seems just as useful. Not sure of the difference between the Donegal or the Moon herringbone. One is cheaper though.

River cafe is nice for a bacon sandwich. I use the Rocket for beers. Bricklayers used to be good but she has started opening at funny times. Half moon too, of course. Started using that after Fulham games. Always have beer - unlike The Brick - and you get served promptly.


"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

 

#4 2018-01-12 15:05:59

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 6185

Re: Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

Kingston1an wrote:

Thanks Woof. Been there before to buy a blazer. Grey herringbone seems just as useful. Not sure of the difference between the Donegal or the Moon herringbone. One is cheaper though.

River cafe is nice for a bacon sandwich. I use the Rocket for beers. Bricklayers used to be good but she has started opening at funny times. Half moon too, of course. Started using that after Fulham games. Always have beer - unlike The Brick - and you get served promptly.

The Rocket is short on character, but a nice spot, especially sitting outside in the summer. I'm afraid 'spoons has got most places licked these days, they seem to be the only busy pubs in the suburbs.


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#5 2018-01-12 23:12:58

ste
Member
From: San Francisco
Posts: 53

Re: Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

I've got mine in the black/white herringbone. It's GREAT. Well-made, and it's like a perfectly-preserved vintage jacket. Great lapel, great shoulder, great cut-away, great swelled-edge, great button stance, great pocket flap dimensions. I like the lining color and the buttons.

I can't imagine anything else like it other than 100% custom. Even J Press won't go less than 3.5 inches in the lapel.

 

#6 2018-01-13 05:25:52

Kingston1an
Member
Posts: 3448

Re: Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

ste wrote:

I've got mine in the black/white herringbone. It's GREAT. Well-made, and it's like a perfectly-preserved vintage jacket. Great lapel, great shoulder, great cut-away, great swelled-edge, great button stance, great pocket flap dimensions. I like the lining color and the buttons.

I can't imagine anything else like it other than 100% custom. Even J Press won't go less than 3.5 inches in the lapel.

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if it is the Donegal or the Moon fabric in your jacket.

Did you visit in person or mail order from the US?


"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

 

#7 2018-01-13 05:30:55

Kingston1an
Member
Posts: 3448

Re: Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

woofboxer wrote:

Kingston1an wrote:

Thanks Woof. Been there before to buy a blazer. Grey herringbone seems just as useful. Not sure of the difference between the Donegal or the Moon herringbone. One is cheaper though.

River cafe is nice for a bacon sandwich. I use the Rocket for beers. Bricklayers used to be good but she has started opening at funny times. Half moon too, of course. Started using that after Fulham games. Always have beer - unlike The Brick - and you get served promptly.

The Rocket is short on character, but a nice spot, especially sitting outside in the summer. I'm afraid 'spoons has got most places licked these days, they seem to be the only busy pubs in the suburbs.

Spoons are packed all day when other pubs are lucky to get custom before the evening trade. They are affordable. Most people don’t want to drink in an empty pub either. I used the Rocket before Putney Odeon which used to be good for a film no riff riff and reasonably priced. Now it is a “luxe” cinema and they have jacked the prices up, so I won’t bother with it.

By the way, the spoons opposite Putney station was scheduled to be sold off.


"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

 

#8 2018-01-13 05:35:17

colin
Bright Light
Posts: 1033

Re: Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

^^^ It's now a Vodka Revolution bar................

 

#9 2018-01-13 06:09:26

Kingston1an
Member
Posts: 3448

Re: Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

colin wrote:

^^^ It's now a Vodka Revolution bar................

That Spoon was never great, but it was a useful stop on a pub crawl.

Next stop Green Man is still sound, then 85 bus back to Kingston.


"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

 

#10 2018-01-16 16:13:36

ste
Member
From: San Francisco
Posts: 53

Re: Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

Kingston1an wrote:

ste wrote:

I've got mine in the black/white herringbone. It's GREAT. Well-made, and it's like a perfectly-preserved vintage jacket. Great lapel, great shoulder, great cut-away, great swelled-edge, great button stance, great pocket flap dimensions. I like the lining color and the buttons.

I can't imagine anything else like it other than 100% custom. Even J Press won't go less than 3.5 inches in the lapel.

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if it is the Donegal or the Moon fabric in your jacket.

Did you visit in person or mail order from the US?

Purchased via email, first chatting on the facebook group. (Size seems quite true, and I shortened the sleeves).

I'm pretty sure it's the Moon, from the photos. No label.

 

#11 2018-01-17 03:13:30

Treble Clef
Member
Posts: 73

Re: Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

Did they do a custom sleeve or did you do it after getting the jacket?

 

#12 2018-01-17 04:26:25

Kingston1an
Member
Posts: 3448

Re: Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

ste wrote:

Kingston1an wrote:

ste wrote:

I've got mine in the black/white herringbone. It's GREAT. Well-made, and it's like a perfectly-preserved vintage jacket. Great lapel, great shoulder, great cut-away, great swelled-edge, great button stance, great pocket flap dimensions. I like the lining color and the buttons.

I can't imagine anything else like it other than 100% custom. Even J Press won't go less than 3.5 inches in the lapel.

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if it is the Donegal or the Moon fabric in your jacket.

Did you visit in person or mail order from the US?

Purchased via email, first chatting on the facebook group. (Size seems quite true, and I shortened the sleeves).

I'm pretty sure it's the Moon, from the photos. No label.

Thanks for the update. H and J labels do not reveal much. My blazer has no size label, just the H and J label listing all sizes around the edges.

Interesting too that someone in the US is finding better Ivy jackets in the UK.


"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

 

#13 2018-01-18 10:40:31

Chris_H
Ivy Original
From: Watford
Posts: 1631

Re: Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

We've got a couple of the Magee grey herringbone left in 38 & 40.  The Moon is in stock in 40 and 44, we are having more made and all sizes will be back in stock soon.

 

#14 2018-01-18 12:02:55

ste
Member
From: San Francisco
Posts: 53

Re: Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

Treble Clef wrote:

Did they do a custom sleeve or did you do it after getting the jacket?

Did it when I got it. Took in the waist a  bit, too.

Having it done before wearing it (I'm in the USA) would defeat the purpose, in my opinion. I'd want the tailor to see it on me first.

 
  • Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Hardy and Johnson grey herringbone jacket.

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 Rickard Andersson