You are not logged in.

#26 2018-01-22 09:59:13

Kingston1an

Re: Peaky Blinders style

woofboxer wrote:

Everything you need to become a real Peaky Blinder can be found here:

https://www.garrisontailors.com/

You can buy a classic Victor Meldrew cap for half that price in The Edinburgh Woolen Mill.

Some Birmingham people give a nod towards Peaky Blinders style, but they don’t put much effort in. Mind you, Thomas Shelby’s eyes are never visible when he has the cap on. That was never a problem with Albert Tatlock.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m … rs-7765533

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#27 2018-01-22 10:30:27

RobbieB

As I am follicly challenged I find a flat cap can be a useful form of Headwear. Around Essex it may be interpreted as an East End,  barrow boy market trader look but when I was in Ireland an Irish Republican mate thought I was going for a English landed gentry look. So my 'cheese-cutter' appears to cross the social divide.
I managed to get to episode 4 of Peaky Blinders. What a load of old 'pony'?

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#28 2018-01-22 10:43:43

stanshall

Worried Man wrote:

I think Stan's a fan of the 8-panel. ....

From a historical perspective, yes, I enjoy old photos of Mick, Keith, Lou, Donny Hathaway, John Lennon, Bowie, Babe Ruth, Baby Face Nelson, Stevie Wonder, and many others wearing newsboy caps.

I don't wear them myself though, but if I lived in a cold climate I might have one around just for the sake of weirdness and because I like them as objects and to dress like an early '70s rock star on occasion.

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

There is something #menswear about the tweed cap here outside the UK too,...

yes, they're more than a bit costume, and it was that way back in my school days decades ago as well, in my opinion.

MCM Geography Teacher wrote:

Could be worse, they could be grown men in baseball caps

the baseball cap just works when it's hot and you're outside and need to protect your head and eyes from the bright sun, being an adult doesn't stop me from wearing a baseball cap when I need one, I'm unfazed, I wear them naturally, whereas the newsboy and the flat cap are not what we grew up with and for me are a bit too historical.

Babbling Brooks wrote:

Watch cap when its cold and windy
Baseball cap when its warm

Me too, that's it.  And straw beach hats sometimes too though I've just thrown out my two old faves, they finally disintegrated after many years of service.  I've also got a khaki boonie hat for super-hot days on the water.

I have a good number of baseball hats and a respectable number of knit watch caps, and prompted by this thread, I've just, while writing this post, gotten one more, from J. Press, on sale plus I had a store credit, so yeah, definitely the knit wool watch/ski bobcap for me when it's chilly.

----------------

About television shows, I've got no time for them these days, except for maybe Bizarre Foods and the Eric Andre Show.

My fave tv stars were Marlon Perkins and Jim, Jacques Cousteau, Jacques Pepin, Don Meredith,  Elizabeth Montgomery, Barbara Feldon, Jeannie, Redd Foxx, Grady, Aunt Esther, Joe Besser, the Monkees, the cartoon Beatles, Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny, Bullwinkle, Flipper, Sponge Bob, Eddie Haskell, Herman Munster, Grandpa Munster, Cousin Itt, Thurston Howell IV, Scooby Doo, Shaggy, Muttley, Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, and Wolfman Jack, and of course Chappelle, Key & Peele, Chris Farley, and SNL and SCTV.

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#29 2018-01-22 11:08:31

mhalat

I find the newsboy is similar to the fedora - often worn by toffs who see them on a television show and just kind of toss them on with whatever they're contemporary dress is, and it just looks like an awkward anachronism/is highly distracting. Worse though, as mentioned in thread, are the fellas that know a bit about the historical context, and dress like they're about to run their hounds at something. I'm largely of the belief that men's headwear is, outside of athletic hats, dead in the water - though that could be my 8+" noggin talking.

#30 2018-01-22 16:21:39

Jeff Reed

I must respectfully disagree. Hats are a vital functional piece for me. My hatred of umbrellas is fierce. A baseball-style cap is good on the beach, or when it is bright. I wear a flat cap if it is drizzling. I have a fedora for downpours, but this is too large to travel with, and is of limited utility. I last wore it on election day when it was raining hard and I had to go and walk a fair distance. Knit caps when it is very cold or when it's too windy for the flat cap.

If someone thinks it's costume, so be it. I'm definitely not wearing a hat for any effect. I look at them like I do belts. I want them to look as good as possible, but they are actually doing work first and foremost. Just as a turtle/polo neck can take the place of a scarf...

https://s14.postimg.org/jc853q629/mmexport1516141400358_2.jpg

#31 2018-01-22 18:27:07

stanshall

/\  most of the flat cap/newsboy cap images I recall are of musicians, but some some guys can pull it off, I remember seeing my uncle always wear them in the winter, he wore Ivy, and they've always been sold at our favorite kinds of haberdashers, they've been around for more than a century ....

I wear a hat when I'd be cold or sunburned without one, and at those times I'm always glad I have one.

I always liked Andy Capp's newsboy cap, and I know that tons of you guys from Yuca to Woof to Worried , probably Thee Captain, definitely Leer, and of course Jeff Reed, wear them,  the flat cap certainly is a part of Ivy history, and they can look cool.

But while we're talking about costumes, "costume" shouldn't always be construed strictly pejoratively, costumes are fun, I love pictures of rock stars in all sorts of weird get-ups, I actually have a high tolerance for anything people want to wear, on a personal level, and I like to see all kinds of clothes being worn and people wearing them with style, especially when it's well-done and it's all in good fun.  Somebody with a bad attitude could call anything a costume, all clothing is costume to a degree.   

Wearing the ocbds, cuffed flat-fronts, penny loafers, wash and wear 3/2 patch sack suits, repps and emblematics, Shetlands, walk shorts, short-sleeve buttondowns, cords, that is natural to me, as are baseball caps and knit caps, I'm a '70s teen, and the flat cap is something the English economics professor in Back to School wears, but they've probably got a lot more style and class than a baseball cap, anyyway, you guys wear them well, and so does Jack here:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/2c/7e/e5/2c7ee52efe3067f44fc590e629d07b53--jack-nicholson-famous-people.jpg

#32 2018-01-22 20:07:32

mhalat

Jeff Reed wrote:

I must respectfully disagree. Hats are a vital functional piece for me. My hatred of umbrellas is fierce.

Incidentally, as a Canadian, I often find myself wearing a knit hat of some variety (touque, or beanie) in the cold; and when I lived in Britain, all the
more so in the rain. I may need to walk back my earlier statements and attribute them to jealousy, owing to my oversized head.

#33 2018-01-23 03:50:48

Chet

Jeff Reed wrote:

I must respectfully disagree. Hats are a vital functional piece for me. My hatred of umbrellas is fierce. A baseball-style cap is good on the beach, or when it is bright. I wear a flat cap if it is drizzling. I have a fedora for downpours, but this is too large to travel with, and is of limited utility. I last wore it on election day when it was raining hard and I had to go and walk a fair distance. Knit caps when it is very cold or when it's too windy for the flat cap.

If someone thinks it's costume, so be it. I'm definitely not wearing a hat for any effect. I look at them like I do belts. I want them to look as good as possible, but they are actually doing work first and foremost. Just as a turtle/polo neck can take the place of a scarf...

https://s14.postimg.org/jc853q629/mmexp … 0358_2.jpg

I'm with Jeff on this.

Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

#34 2018-01-23 04:09:16

Jeff Reed

I understand that a fair number of men are costuming it up. There is the Fedora Lounge after all. But still, hats are functional.

We can look at a photo from the past like this:

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/9d81c4ffea524 … fk08rh.jpg

and confidently say that the ubiquity of hats, as there, is not coming back. But we can probably say the same about the suits and the ties. And what exactly is the function of a tie? And why is that item not picked on like the hat? I wear ties all the time when I don't have to. Then I am in costume, but none dare call it costume.

#35 2018-01-23 06:42:28

Kingston1an

People who go outside for any length of time will always want some protection for their head from the wind and rain. Unless they choose to look like bedraggled Premier League managers.

A hood can provide protection, but peripheral vision is compromised. Umbrellas are not the best in strong winds.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#36 2018-01-23 06:50:59

Berkeley_Breathes

Jeff Reed wrote:

I understand that a fair number of men are costuming it up. There is the Fedora Lounge after all. But still, hats are functional.

and confidently say that the ubiquity of hats, as there, is not coming back. But we can probably say the same about the suits and the ties. And what exactly is the function of a tie? And why is that item not picked on like the hat? I wear ties all the time when I don't have to. Then I am in costume, but none dare call it costume.

Great point...

"I happen to believe that the 1954 decision was right. But my belief does not matter; it is now the law. Some of you may believe the decision was wrong. That does not matter - it is the law. And we both respect the law." - RFK

#37 2018-01-23 07:57:15

mhalat

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

Jeff Reed wrote:

Great point...

Truly - I must admit, any interest I have in things like sports jackets, button downs etc. was birthed by my superiors at work. Put simply, they liked how I looked, and were vocal about it. When the time came/comes for promotions and things, it is the quality of my work that is the biggest consideration - but secondary to that is the fact that I put out the image that I take it seriously.

But what is that image? Largely, it is one that reflects the tastes of the boomers I work for, and allows them to see themselves in me. To your point, Jeff, I am in costume as a young businessman from the 1970s in many respects. I am lucky, insofar as I enjoy that particular aesthetic, but it is almost incidental - I am using semiotics to convey an image of myself to important decision makers.

This has been a really enlightening conversation, Jeff - have greatly enjoyed it.

#38 2018-01-23 10:16:15

Kingston1an

mhalat wrote:

...... I am in costume as a young businessman from the 1970s in many respects. I am lucky, insofar as I enjoy that particular aesthetic, but it is almost incidental - I am using semiotics to convey an image of myself to important decision makers.

“How to Win Friends and Influence People”

Oh dear!

#39 2018-01-23 10:21:48

Berkeley_Breathes

Kingston1an wrote:

mhalat wrote:

...... I am in costume as a young businessman from the 1970s in many respects. I am lucky, insofar as I enjoy that particular aesthetic, but it is almost incidental - I am using semiotics to convey an image of myself to important decision makers.

Oh dear!

or How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ff/f1/0e/fff10e146eb841ada86470ad94179ff8--dapper-gentleman-brooks-brothers.jpg

"I happen to believe that the 1954 decision was right. But my belief does not matter; it is now the law. Some of you may believe the decision was wrong. That does not matter - it is the law. And we both respect the law." - RFK

#40 2018-01-23 10:30:19

mhalat

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

Kingston1an wrote:

mhalat wrote:

Oh dear!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ff/f1/0e/fff1 … others.jpg

Ohhhh dear. It isn't quite so calculated - was more just thinking critically, having been spurred to do so by Jeff. But, the world is full of circumstances and variables one can't control, and which may spur one to have to swim against the tide. So, sure, I'm not above ensuring that the few things under my control are executed well and work in my favour - just picking my battles.

#41 2018-01-23 10:32:11

Berkeley_Breathes

mhalat wrote:

Truly - I must admit, any interest I have in things like sports jackets, button downs etc. was birthed by my superiors at work. Put simply, they liked how I looked, and were vocal about it. When the time came/comes for promotions and things, it is the quality of my work that is the biggest consideration - but secondary to that is the fact that I put out the image that I take it seriously.

As long as that's not still why you do it...?

You can find sources out there talking about how this worked in the Ivy heyday, too... Guys would wear their tweeds and madras to class, but then they graduated, it was conservative business suits every day... The Kennedy brothers are a great example of this in action... and of course the reason was that in the business world, that's how you dressed, you'd be looked down upon otherwise... And that's still true in fields like law... But in other places, that kind of mentality started declining even a few years before the '70s -

https://s26.postimg.org/j72pxg5fd/Screen_Shot_2016-05-22_at_2.56.08_PM.png
https://s26.postimg.org/m15vavs61/Screen_Shot_2016-05-22_at_2.56.16_PM.png
https://s26.postimg.org/mdx9h2i5l/Screen_Shot_2016-05-22_at_2.56.28_PM.png

What I'm saying is, in 2018, dressing in Ivy or 1960s business dress (3/2 suits, black oxfords, repp ties) is as individualistic as suede, jeans and cowboy boots at a buttoned-down would have been in 1966... so it honestly seems to me that dressing that way because your superiors expect it of you is missing the point somewhat...

#42 2018-01-23 10:56:38

Berkeley_Breathes

mhalat wrote:

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

Kingston1an wrote:

Oh dear!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ff/f1/0e/fff1 … others.jpg

Ohhhh dear. It isn't quite so calculated - was more just thinking critically, having been spurred to do so by Jeff. But, the world is full of circumstances and variables one can't control, and which may spur one to have to swim against the tide. So, sure, I'm not above ensuring that the few things under my control are executed well and work in my favour - just picking my battles.

Re: the Brooks illustration - my point in the post I made after (we posted at the same time, I think) is that, by all means, dress like a 1960s drone - the fun part of doing so in 2018 rather than 1962 is that it isn't being a drone anymore smile So to do so to please superiors does take some of the fun out of it, in my view, and returns you a bit to dronedom...

But of course I know you don't dress like that to please superiors, or at least not totally - and I also know the benefit of doing little things to demonstrate to those who matter that you're serious, and dress is certainly one of those things...

#43 2018-01-23 11:07:56

Kingston1an

For this to apply in the UK you would dress like Bob from ‘The Likely Lads’.

I am not sure the world is ready for that yet. On the other hand, Terry did wear a cloth cap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lvYf73Y4Ww

#44 2018-01-23 12:31:17

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

mhalat wrote:

...... any interest I have in things like sports jackets, button downs etc. was birthed by my superiors at work ....

'Seniors' ...... never 'Superiors' MH and don't think of them as superior either, because they're not.

But the point about dressing at work is well made, I think being smartly turned out and looking comfortable being so still carries some weight. For the office I try to pick classically proportioned and fairly restrained outfits, middle of the road lapel, trouser and tie width. Looking like a museum piece or straying into dandy territory isn't going to do you any favours. I'm past worrying about promotion, but it still makes life easier if the boss's impression of you is that you are smart and effective. This kidology also works on new people that you meet during business hours.

Of course anyone who works closely with me all the time knows the truth ... haha!

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#45 2018-01-23 12:37:01

stanshall

/\  excellent post Woofboxer

#46 2018-01-23 12:46:02

Berkeley_Breathes

I agree with stan, excellent post... I'll own up to using "superiors" here, my bad - Army mentality... Of course you're 100% right, seniors not superiors is the way to view it...

I personally am fortunate to be in an environment (higher education) where you can get away with a lot... Also, not being a business context, I stick out like a sore thumb anyway, haha... But for job interviews, etc., I try to blend a bit more...

That old adage, they should remember you, not your outfit... (and if they do remember your outfit, it should ony add to their positive impression of you...)

#47 2018-01-23 13:22:14

stanshall

mhalat wrote:

... it is the quality of my work that is the biggest consideration ....

The biggest consideration is whether your jacket is an undarted natural shoulder 3/2 sack wait wtf Ivy.

#48 2018-01-23 13:25:57

mhalat

I'd quote everything that I'd like to in this conversation, but the post would be simply massive. Suffice to say, you are all stand-up fellas, and it's been a joy shooting the shit with each one of you.

#49 2018-01-23 13:47:05

stanshall

woofboxer wrote:

... Looking like a museum piece or straying into dandy territory isn't going to do you any favours. ....

Yes, do not attempt to stray into dandy territory unless you know what you're doing and can handle being "noticed."

#50 2018-01-23 13:54:32

Berkeley_Breathes

stanshall wrote:

woofboxer wrote:

... Looking like a museum piece or straying into dandy territory isn't going to do you any favours. ....

Yes, do not attempt to stray into dandy territory unless you know what you're doing and can handle being "noticed."

I hear rotating bow ties work wonders

Board footer