You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » John Simons - A Modernist. .... second showing 12 May

#26 2018-04-30 08:42:50

Chet

Re: John Simons - A Modernist. .... second showing 12 May

Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

#27 2018-04-30 12:19:07

Thee Captain

I was out with a load of people Sat night who all went to the first showing and thoroughly enjoyed it...

CrackHeads all mind..

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#28 2018-04-30 19:30:52

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#29 2018-05-01 01:34:28

Babbling Brooks

If you weren't so eager to play mother hen Berkley you'd understand my point. The hypocrisy of beamoaning the exclusivity of a place when you yourself are about as exclusive as hydrogen seems a bit OTT My issue is not with where, how, or with whom he buys his clothes, and whether that meets any preconceived notion on my part as to whether that bares any importance on anything, I too buy (shock horror) Gant and RL. So please don't think I'm commenting on that. I'm saying that Unseen as a man that still probably buys his trousers through the Littlewoods catalogue does not need to worry about exclusivity of JS' clientele base.

Then to offer insight in where John might be going wrong when he is been in the rag trade for over 60 years again deserves a brief reminder that the poster may be a little wet behind the ears.

Last edited by Babbling Brooks (2018-05-01 02:08:46)

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere.

#30 2018-05-01 02:47:35

Yuca

This is a forum for people obsessed with clothes that went out of fashion decades ago - we all look daft. To be fair Bop is a gurning freak so maybe he looks slightly dafter than the average forum user, but on the other hand he does have some considerable competition (without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I like to think I can give him a run for his money in the daft-looking field).

And to be fair US your original comments were a little odd. Not that I personally was sufficiently motivated to question them at the time, but I'm not surprised they were questioned. You're going to avoid the JS shop for a month or 2 because you're worried about an influx of plastic mods? Firstly: damn you must spend a lot on clothes if avoiding the JS shop for a month or 2 takes a conscious effort. Secondly: if any plastic mods decide a clothes shop is of interest, they'll be patronising it indefinitely. Thirdly: wtf?

some sort of banal legitimacy

#31 2018-05-01 03:04:56

Yuca

Maybe GW's explanations answer my question 3 (or maybe not), but 1 and 2 remain a mystery.

Last edited by Yuca (2018-05-01 03:05:49)

#32 2018-05-01 03:19:29

An Unseen Scene

I'm in London every week for work with time to spare, so often pop in or by JS. Good point on 2!  Right, going now. It's sunny.

#33 2018-05-01 03:40:39

Yuca

Last edited by Yuca (2018-05-01 05:23:07)

#34 2018-05-01 03:47:35

Acton_Baby

I think the main point being missed here is John sells John Simons type 'stuff',
the shop is filled with vintage point-of-sale material not because they've scoured the internet to add a fake authenticity to the shop but because they had it all from the first time around.

The lineage of the products John now sells isn't some random collection of 'Ivy type' clothes to fit a 'fad'.
For example the Keydge jackets were the (literal) successor to the Linnet brand he sold in Covent Garden in the 80s ( I still curse the fact and I didn't follow John Lally's advice and get a second pair of trousers to go with the Linnet cord suit I bought at the CG shop),
the reason he knows that current Bass loafers are 'slippers' is because he was the first place in the UK to sell the imported 874 model ( altho' you could get them £5 cheaper at the Natural Shoe Store just around the corner or in their Kings Road shop within a year) and also why he comissioned the Rancourt shoe to replicate what he used to sell.
The details on his own brand shirts are there because those are the exact things on the imported shirts he sold by the truckload from the Ivy, Squire and Village Gate shops long before the Covent Garden shop.
He's happy to sell the current BD Baggies shirts cos 'near as dammit' they are the same as the old BD Baggies he sold , and he still had a few of the old ones to make a comparison.

His longevity in the retail game hasn't been because he's followed fashion, it's because he's stuck with a style and it's resonated with multiple sub-cultures, as each sub-culture has faded another finds something in his shop that fits their look.
Just because some chubby 'weekend mods' with shit haircuts will find the shop 'cos Weller is on a dvd extolling it's virtues doesn't detract from the place or the man, in fact it may serve us well allowing the shop to continue in it's glory in John's dotage.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#35 2018-05-01 05:32:03

An Unseen Scene

Viewing from train - Acton Baby post is ace.  Ignore my stuff above, squabbling is pointless, that post by AB is excellent reading.  Moderators - if you now want to edit that post of mine out, go ahead. Far better to read AB post.

#36 2018-05-01 06:00:02

Yuca

You're not getting off the hook that easily. We need at least one photo a week of you in the JS shop for the next 6 months.

#37 2018-05-01 06:46:45

Babbling Brooks

I really didn't have any issue with you before this thread you were someone trying to dress smartly with the more ivy informed end of high street brands, absolutely fine I buy a lot of those brands myself, secondhand admittedly , but I did think it odd that when in japan you sought out brands that you could get in the west, but then tbf you were asking about any other destinations.

I just thought your statement was absolutely ridiculous.

#38 2018-05-01 07:12:39

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#39 2018-05-01 07:21:53

Babbling Brooks

Equally a green as grass poster/punter can be criticised too.

Last edited by Babbling Brooks (2018-05-01 07:22:14)

#40 2018-05-01 07:28:46

Babbling Brooks

And an open response to BB ...I think your interfering moderation is getting a bit over the top now, not just from this but quite a few things recently and others have bought it up too,

I don't really need to be taken aside like a school child, what was wrong before with the mods here was letting political/religious posts get way out of hand, the back and fourth has always been part and parcel, you're sanitising this forum to the point of beige. Going in and editing, private messages slapping wrists...I'm quite happy to be modded off a sanitised forum, you won't even need to show me the door.

#41 2018-05-01 12:01:42

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#42 2018-05-01 12:04:20

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#43 2018-05-01 12:48:31

Yuca

#44 2018-05-01 13:23:03

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

To be honest I find the whole thing laughable these days, seems to be a pecking order of middle aged men in really average stuff  looking down their nose at middle aged men wearing pure crap. But there are two mod scenes and sometimes they cross but you only get the comedy ones at places like Brighton. I've read people who are wearing cemented shoes and Ben Shermans, relco trousers ect calling others "comedy" mods. You've only gotta look at those jokers from MG forum, totally clueless, or checkout Parka Ave. Just terrible. And yet their belief that their top dressers is solid, all slapping each other on the back on their forums and in their clubs. Best off out of it.

So when you see something that should be cool like this DVD and it has the same old suspect, Weller on it along with the bloke outta Madness you can see why it's off putting to some before its even gone into the player. (Don't even get me started on "9 lives" Elms) I know its good for sales but you get the feeling its gonna be the same old same old.

Unseen comparing it to returnees to the northern scene is bang on, thats split into two things now as well. I've not even got round to watch that film "Northern Soul" that came out 3 or 4 years ago yet, thats most likely same old. I stopped buying books on mods and related stuff years ago. Theres only so much same old you wanna read or watch. But there you go, it is what it is.

#45 2018-05-02 12:28:43

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Not his (JS) fault at all but historically every thread that has involved this damn film has casued fall outs.
And this is about three years since we first learned of its planned existence.

For that reason alone i wont be watching it...like ever !

Last edited by Armchaired (2018-05-02 12:29:09)

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#46 2018-05-03 13:44:07

An Unseen Scene

I watched it tonight, it was fairly enjoyable - more so I'm sure if you're unaware of some of the anecdotes before and haven't seen the source imagery shown. Anyone who has been here for a while, or read The Look, of the various other books/articles covering the shop - will know some of the stories.

I found it better than the Tubby Hayes and Peter Blake documentaries by the same team, perhaps because there isn't as much to try and cram in across the length of a life.  This isn't that much about John's life as we know, it's a summary of his style ideology and shops - so fits well.  The contributions were okay, especially I thought from the customers.  John Hegarty was insightful and balanced out the more obvious celebrities that help bring in viewers.

I guess for film length (and possibly the era's style) reasons the Village Gate and 70's 'hairy, flarey' decade wasn't touched upon much. But that's okay, it's not intended to be definitive in that regard.  I was surprised the Suedehead time got so much attention, it was short lived stylistically giving way to the Smooths fairly quickly and meant there was probably 10 minutes, maybe more without mentioning John at all.  I do appreciate that style though.

The section at the end with Paul talking made me wonder if there will ever be a P. Simons spin-off where he can focus on other aspects of his style interest.  Just idle thinking.

I had previously raised the strong promotion of the Mod interest on social media (if you look at Twitter, there's a lot of that doing the rounds, which will help sales as people said) - but the specific Mod referencing was fairly low key and not predominant in the actual film.

The DVD is just the film, it would be nice to have footage of John just walking around the shop talking about the items maybe or further unedited talking, but that could be put online maybe if there is any.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2018-05-03 14:23:58)

#47 2018-05-03 14:20:55

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

We'll that's it, you've given the plot away, ruined the suspense... I might as well not bother going to see it.

wink

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#48 2018-05-03 14:22:42

An Unseen Scene

Whoops.  It's a more atmosphere than plot driven movie.

#49 2018-05-11 05:29:02

Thee Captain

Ok kids - anyone going to this tomorrow?

I shall be there... so if anyone wants to buy me beer... popcorn.. or fight me afterwards...please pass me a note, or preferably a beer... at some point during the evening and we'll go from there...

My name in real life is Penelope...should anyone want to holler from a distance...

Best

Penny

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#50 2018-05-11 11:06:17

Yuca

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/may/11/john-simons-dressed-mods-shops-style-explosion-martin-freeman-paul-weller-kevin-rowland

Whoever wrote this seems to be confusing JS for John Stephen and/or The Merc, but still it's good publicity and a well-deserved tribute. Plus a nice old flyer I'd not seen before that shows how they really had to spell it out back in the day.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » John Simons - A Modernist. .... second showing 12 May

Board footer