You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » John Simons - A Modernist. .... second showing 12 May

#51 2018-05-11 12:34:14

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: John Simons - A Modernist. .... second showing 12 May

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#52 2018-05-11 12:42:06

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#53 2018-05-13 02:38:21

An Unseen Scene

Nic picture above. The team who made the documentary have achieved extensive reach through social media and news sources. It was the second showing last night. Anybody go?

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2018-05-13 02:38:49)

#54 2018-05-13 03:44:14

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Yes, I went to the second showing and it was a very enjoyable evening. John Simons did a Q and A afterwards, he was wearing a teriffic vintage batik jacket that he carried off in his inimitable way. Apart from a couple of snippets, there isn't much in the film that I didn't already know about John Simons career in the rag trade. But as a package I thought it was great, the music and the filming were spot on and the speakers, whilst they were the same old faces, put across their enthusiasm really well. The film also conveyed the passion that John Simons still feels for the clothes and served as a reminder of how fortunate we are to have a shop like that to go to in London.

It was once again a sellout and the bar was busy before and after the show. People's dress ranged from workwear to suit, collar and tie. Some good ivy style displayed with trad, mod and Italian variations.

There's a further showing sometime soon in Brighton and possibly Manchester. I don't know if there is a T shirt with tour dates yet. wink

John Simons

#55 2018-05-13 04:00:55

An Unseen Scene

The film is good and as you say, the speakers avoid going over the top. There really is a T-Shirt I saw on twitter but only in a run of twenty five.

#56 2018-05-13 05:07:29

Thee Captain

Now of course I'm a big John n Paul fan... but I enjoyed it far more than I thought...a really splendid hour of viewing and all contributions were spot on...

I pass the current shop a lot on my way home from work..always long after it's shut but ALWAYS spend time staring into the window displays as I did with Covent Garden, which are a work of art on their own.. it's heart warming to hear other folk have always done the same..planning new outfits as they do so..how they always leave having spent far more than they intended..and how the music, the art, the vibe.. all go hand in hand..and that a trip to the shop will nearly always, even now, be the best part of your day.. I've spent practically all afternoon in there on occasion chinwagging.. over various aspects of style..music..or hearing such great tales over the years on John's experiences with characters he's been involved with the world over.. having a break for fish, chips n mushy peas at the Golden Hind, in recent years, whilst I mull a purchase over...I've even gone back the same day to pick up another colour of summat, because you've been telling yerself since you left, why didn't you get that one too...? it's a far better shade to go with what you've got.. YUP..the place remains an absolute delight for me and wish I could get there more often tbh

Think John really enjoyed the night too which was wonderful to see n all!

Love the idea of a tour around the country with it too, he he.. why the hell not..

Had some splendid little chats with the doc makers later on too..and in a nut shell, the whole thing comes over as a work of love , passion and appreciation for a fella who's inspired so many out here..

A great night with some lovely peeps..

Would heartily recommend to all!

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#57 2018-05-13 05:39:18

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#58 2018-05-13 06:01:13

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Quality  smile. ...^

John Simons

#59 2018-05-13 13:11:59

Yuca

#60 2018-05-13 13:41:26

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Thanks for your kind words Yuca. Both Bop and myself were worried that the love scene,  though true to life, was too graphic.  Baxter seemed to think that a free packet of paper hankies would make it acceptable. I, however, felt that would lower the quality of product and we reached a compromise...hence the free pair of Rubinacci cashmere socks. I'm sure you'll find a use for them by the end of today though.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#61 2018-05-13 14:09:29

Babbling Brooks

I'd just like to point out I was drugged and held against my own will. Still it's something that looks good on my IMDB profile

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere.

#62 2018-05-14 07:20:21

Anglo_Ivy

Just to echo the earlier posts, I thought the film exceeded expectations and there was a good atmosphere on Saturday. Would have loved to hear more from Mr Simons on the first articles of ivy clothing he saw, purchased and fell in love with, the particular details that stood out etc but I understand how an hour long feature can not permit for the kind of detail obsessed analysis a lot of us here might crave.

Spotted a few regular posters including The Captain and Mr Woofboxer, both of whom were very well turned out.

All in all a very enjoyable evening.

#63 2018-05-14 12:21:27

RobbieB

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#64 2018-05-14 13:16:29

Yuca

If they're from the made in US days and you treat them well then I imagine they were indeed shoes for life.

#65 2018-06-21 05:59:12

SenorBlues

I've got tickets for the Monday night showing of this at the Regent St cinema. Anybody else going?

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

#66 2018-07-02 06:05:13

Thee Captain

How was the night btw Senor?

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..

#67 2018-07-03 06:36:50

SenorBlues

Thoroughly enjoyed it thanks Cap. I was amused to see John sitting alone at the front when I came in. I asked if he was contractually obliged to attend every showing, but he said he just thought he should show his face.

I read the discussion above with interest. I'm with Woof. I bet it's got to be hard enough keeping a shop of any kind open at the moment, so a bit of publicity like this must be a godsend. Far from worrying about being trampled underfoot by hordes of fat skins and comedy mods we should be thankful it's been made a little less likely they'll have to close in the near future.

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

#68 2018-07-03 07:49:47

Thee Captain

/\

I popped by the shop Sunday...it's boosted their sales alright... so I'm wit ya..and the Woofmeister... long may they be a haven of loveliness...

#69 2018-08-02 22:59:37

fxhmail

The film will get 4 showings in Melbourne at The Australian Centre For the Moving Image (ACMI) during Melbourne Fashion Week 31 August 2018 - 7 September 2018  https://mfw.melbourne.vic.gov.au/

While he might not be a house-hold name in Australia, John Simons’ careful curation of London fashion in the early 1960s popularised modern (aka ‘mod’) styles of dressing, transforming the way many young people dressed in Britain and around the world. The mod look, influenced heavily by Jazz and a very particular collection of classic American clothing, captured the hearts and wallets of a new generation of consumers, eager to distance themselves from their parent’s drab post-war wardrobes.

Featuring exclusive interviews with musicians Kevin Rowland (Dexys Midnight Runners), Suggs (Madness), the eternally stylish Paul Weller (The Jam, The Style Council), broadcaster Robert Elms (of The Face era), art and Antiques Roadshow expert Ronnie Archer Morgan, advertising guru Sir John Hegarty and Sir Paul Smith as well as John Simons himself.  Plus those who have loved John and his work for over 60 years.

John Simons continues to dress a host of contemporary names including actor Martin Freeman (The Office UK, Black Panther) who can often be seen sporting Simon’s enduring contemporary fashion.  Written by the super stylish Jason Jules.

Australian premiere. Exclusive to ACMI.

https://www.acmi.net.au/events/john-simons-modernist/

#70 2018-08-03 05:45:50

Babbling Brooks

What was the style in Oz, was it Sharpies?

#71 2018-08-04 05:12:33

fxhmail

#72 2018-08-04 07:09:09

Babbling Brooks

Relationship status: It's complicated.

#73 2018-08-18 05:11:12

fxhmail

Might have a Facebook page up by end of weekend

#74 2018-08-24 03:10:01

timbo

Hi - Just signed up
This group is primarily to promote the Australian Premier of the documentary John Simons: A Modernist.

The film is showing during Fashion Week @ Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI), Federation Sq. Melbourne from 1 - 9 Sept. 2018

While he might not be a house-hold name in Australia, John Simons’ careful curation of London fashion in the early 1960s popularised modern (aka ‘mod’) styles of dressing, transforming the way many young people dressed in Britain and around the world. The mod look, influenced heavily by Jazz and a very particular collection of classic American clothing, captured the hearts and wallets of a new generation of consumers, eager to distance themselves from their parent’s drab post-war wardrobes.

Featuring exclusive interviews with musicians Kevin Rowland (Dexys Midnight Runners), Suggs (Madness), the eternally stylish Paul Weller (The Jam, The Style Council), broadcaster Robert Elms (of The Face era), art and Antiques Roadshow expert Ronnie Archer Morgan, advertising guru Sir John Hegarty and Sir Paul Smith as well as John Simons himself. Plus those who have loved John and his work for over 60 years.

John Simons continues to dress a host of contemporary names including actor Martin Freeman (The Office UK, Black Panther) who can often be seen sporting Simon’s enduring contemporary fashion. Written by the super stylish Jason Jules.

Australian premiere. Exclusive to ACMI.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/234523753932713/?ref=bookmarks

#75 2018-08-24 05:55:26

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Good work Timbo, I hope you have a good turnout for the showings in Melbourne.

Is there much interest in the Ivy style in in Australia?

John Simons

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » John Simons - A Modernist. .... second showing 12 May

Board footer