You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » John Simons - A Modernist. .... second showing 12 May

#101 2022-05-28 06:11:17

AlveySinger

Re: John Simons - A Modernist. .... second showing 12 May

Woof,
Let's go along with your idea and then see what happens....

.....Oh it's a film about ivy, suede, mod clothing. I thought it was about John Simons and his retail history

....I wouldn't have put that shirt with that jacket

..... What I purchased from Squire was different from that

.....I like Paraboot, Vetra and Japanese denim. Why isn't that also shown

.....Oh, I wouldn't call that Ivy in my book

And here is my favourite...

.....Oh, it's just a promo film for what's on sale at Chiltern Street. I thought it would feature more about John.

hopefully, you get the point. We all have a view. We all want different things. We forget how difficult these things are to produce

#102 2022-05-28 06:17:32

AlveySinger

I wonder how much involvement with the scripting John had.

I would of thought he had some say on the content.

#103 2022-05-28 09:50:19

AFS

All fair points, Alvey, certainly.

#104 2022-05-28 10:16:41

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I get your point Alvey, we can all find aspects we liked, or didn’t like about the film. My point was that the film didn’t go into any elementary explanation what of the Ivy look consists of, that look is what makes the JS shops unique. So I saw that as an omission, it doesn’t mean I thought the film was dreadful, far from it.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#105 2022-05-29 11:39:27

Tworussellstreet

Alvey, you're talking out your tuchus. John Simons is contemptuous of pop stars. Whilst he is pleased it was made, and a degree of acknowledgement of his achievements has been achieved, he had no say in the content, and boy does it show. Mono(tonous) Media's stuff is just standard issue, box-ticking mediocrity with not a smidgen of surprise in anything they make. Many of us who have met John have quickly become aware that we are in the presence of someone with a unique perspective, with original insight, immersed in a distinctive London Jewish background that has coloured everything he says and thinks. It's not just clothes, it's a life, a culture, a personality.  There is a fantastic story to be told, a vanished world to be evoked but this script was like something a 16 year might come up with for their Media Studies GCSE. Like virtually everything that mod touches it was knuckle-scraping, slow-witted, pseudo-geezerdom of absolutely no worth.

Last edited by Tworussellstreet (2022-05-29 11:40:53)

#106 2022-05-29 20:37:47

AlveySinger

TRS, your opening sentence is a pretty unpleasant thing to say. I have never been discourteous to you.

Possibly you might want to read what I posted again.

I am confused where have I mentioned pop stars?

In my second comment I simply raised a question asking if he had any involvement in the scripting.

#107 2022-05-30 01:26:38

Tworussellstreet

Alvey, I apologise. It was hormones, low blood sugar, poor sleep. Probably all three. Sending you warm wishes!

#108 2022-05-30 03:20:22

AFS

Not TRSs usual approach to his fellow human beings.  Not at all.  He has firm opinions - so do I, which often run counter to his own - but one has to sometimes agree to disagree in order to live in something like harmony - no?

#109 2022-07-13 10:02:01

AFS

Remembering something on TV years ago in which chaps rambled on about Ben, Brutus and Bugger All, I still cannot find it in myself to watch this thing all the way through. 
A glimpse of a particular pair of brogues, though, did me a huge favour by reminding me I've gone right off brogues. 
Who is Dylan Jones?

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » John Simons - A Modernist. .... second showing 12 May

Board footer