Acton_Baby

Re: Jeans questions

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#27 2018-05-07 04:06:25

sunra

That would be great.
I have been thinking of getting a new pair of Edwins but these are more affordable.
BTW out of the Edwins what is your favorite cut?

#28 2018-05-07 08:09:58

Acton_Baby

^ I'm a Nashville's fan, but even they aren't what they used to be quality wise since switching production to Tunisia.
I've had the 55s and 47s too, but wouldn't buy a second pair.

Their new(ish) OWF range are lovely but nose-bleed expensive ( upwards of £290 a pair),
there's also the E-Standard range ( similar to 60's 501 cut) still not cheap at about £160 a pair and really hard work to find them.

Hugh Hefner

#29 2018-05-19 10:13:06

edward123

Long time reader, first time poster here. Glad to have found the forum!

Three potential solutions for the jeans issue (posting from UK here) as I've been through the same dilemma re. proper rise.

1. Blackhorse Lane Ateliers https://blackhorselane.com/shop/ - if you live in London you can visit the workshop and try on and buy. Rise is mid, not high. Wonderful ethos behind the company and the actually shop is the actual workshop so you can see them being made. I have a pair of the E5 model.

2. ...they also make the jeans for Drakes https://www.drakes.com/apparel/trousers/drake-s-updated-model-no-3-indigo-selvedge-jeans - which I *think* have an ever so slightly higher rise than BLA's own models.

3. Anglo Italian. I wanted something for summer (that wasn't heavy and selvedge) and bought the darker wash pair. https://angloitalian.com/ - they are designed with tailoring in mind so have quite a big taper and a medium/medium-high rise. Very happy with these.

Only downside is that the price points are £200+ but all worth checking out. Esp. considering BLA is made in London.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by edward123 (2018-05-19 10:13:35)

#30 2018-05-19 10:36:51

Berkeley_Breathes

Welcome to the forum, edward! Those AIC jeans look like they have a very nice cut...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#31 2018-05-22 01:32:37

Horace

Did anyone ever try the Japanese Sugarcanes?    I liked the Levi Vintage 501's.  Not cheap. 

I also had a few pairs of APC that I picked up in France.   They had different cuts.  The one the French push are way too tight for me.

But like you, I like them slim.  Certainly not 550 style that are baggy.

One that I thought was a good value is the stuff here:

Cone Mills '68 (USD145) or Cone Mills Standard (USD98).

I think the prices are pretty reasonable, and the quality is good and the so is the fit.  I like them better than the vintage levi's I've purchased.

https://www.taylorstitch.com/collections/mens-denim

I didn't notice a big difference between the slim and the "democratic" fit.

I liked them so much I bought 5 pairs once I found my fit.  And I should buy another 5 since the Cone Mills stuff is eventually going to disappear with the mill being sold.  They also make a decent pair of trousers. 

I've found the prices reasonable for the quality.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#32 2018-05-22 01:33:41

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#33 2018-05-22 09:51:16

stanshall

/\  I was liking me some Taylor Stitch but I dawdled and now the pair I liked are all sold out, but if they ever come back I will spring for them ......

aah who am I kidding

I can't disrespect my long-serving stalwart blown-out 501s that already have such perfectly baggy knees and droopy posteriors which would take a new pair 20 years to get.

plus now they're molded and shaped to my saddle though I don't know what that means exactly, I just know it when I feel it ....... 

wanna hear something else that should make you all feel better?  I've been wearing a pair of good old USA 517s a fair amount this year and only four strangers have come up to me and said "What you're doing is a crime against Ivy," to which I replied in each case "Late '70s Prep OK."

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#34 2018-05-22 10:02:08

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#35 2018-05-30 08:39:39

sunra

Did you ever get a look at those jeans Acton?

#36 2018-05-31 03:07:41

Acton_Baby

Hugh Hefner

#37 2018-05-31 11:00:40

sunra

Thanks Acton! They sound really good for the price.

Board footer