You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-12 12:28:29

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Luxire

Anyone tried them? Thinking of giving them a try for trousers and would want to send them a pair to take measurements from. Feedback/advice appreciated.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#2 2018-05-14 00:14:04

RFS

Re: Luxire

I've tried them for shirts & trousers. The success depends a lot on the accuracy of measurements you give them; sending a pair to copy as you are doing should make life easy. The quality of sewing is good - machine done where you'd expect (i.e. on long seams) but with some nice handwork where it makes a difference.

They make a very good pair of trousers - generally.

Where they do fall short is customer service when things go wrong. I recently quoted a previous order for measurements & details for a couple of pairs of trousers, unfortunately when they arrived they were too tight around the seat & thighs (I've used the same measurements for several pairs all of which still fit fine so it's not me who's 'expanded'). I pointed out this error in size but the response I received was totally dismissive i.e. "we've made them to your measurements" - end of story. Not even an expression of regret that there was a 'possible' problem. The waist & thigh measurements are actually smaller than my existing pairs when I check one to another. I've yet to resolve this issue.

I use them because I like trousers cut a bit higher in the waist & with side adjusters. I also like to pick the cloth. There's little available 'off the rack' which matches my requirements hence it's worthwhile using a company like Luxire & to be fair to them I've been very happy with virtually everything from them. I don't mind them getting something wrong if they sort it out in the correct manner but I do object to the attitude of their customer services department or at least that of the person I dealt with.

My advice would be to give very clear instructions on what you want & specify good cloth from one of the well known mills which they stock (or send your own cloth). You'll then get an excellent pair of trousers back.

#3 2018-05-14 13:38:43

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Thanks for taking the time for that RFS. Hope they sought out their mistake on your order. Please let me/us know how you get on.

I'll mail them about what I'm looking for and take it from there.

Thanks again.

#4 2018-05-15 08:51:40

mhalat

Am curious - their pricing on, say, a loro piana trouser (ca. $400 CAD), is about equivalent for me to having them made by my own tailor. It's possible he gives me a deal, because I'm there regularly and we have great rapport. He charges ca. $5,000 CAD for a suit, which is par for course in my city. So, I don't think he's particularly inexpensive. If not for reasons of cost (which vary greatly from city to city), why would one select Luxire over a local maker?

#5 2018-05-15 14:11:47

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

A. There isn't a tailor in the city I live, infact as far as I'm aware the nearest one is an eight hour train ride away.
B. The stores that offer MTM have their stuff made in Naples, most likely the same place, and while I'm happy with the one I use they don't offer the style of Gurkha and Luxire does.
C. The only place I've seen them online is Rubinacci and they offer them at 380 euro, Luxire do them in a better looking cloth for 200 euro with some handwork.

#6 2018-05-15 15:15:36

mhalat

#7 2018-05-16 09:16:05

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I'm trying to get my head round your tailor doing trousers at only $400 when a suit is $5000.

#8 2018-05-16 10:03:14

mhalat

Last edited by mhalat (2018-05-16 10:03:43)

#9 2018-05-16 14:51:34

Berkeley_Breathes

Marry him.

A tailor that's willing to actually work with you on prices and who also does good work is one to hold on to...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#10 2018-05-17 00:13:15

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#11 2018-05-18 05:47:02

fxhmail

#12 2018-05-18 08:55:35

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Cleared out now Fxh.

Board footer