You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-25 10:57:03

An Unseen Scene

Magee Donegal Salt & Pepper Jackets

I ordered one of the Magee Donegal Salt & Pepper jackets in green to see what it was like.
It wasn't 'Ivy' at all in styling which I appreciated but I wanted the real thing.
There's so little in proper Donegal fabric around and I didn't want to do a USA import.
It has dual-vents, very slight shoulder padding but it just feels right.
Any qualms I had just went once I saw it and then tried it on.
The jackets feel like they will last a lifetime. 

I ordered the dark green version and absolutely adore the jacket.  It's a grey-green really:
https://www.magee1866.com/en/Green-Handwoven-Salt-and-Pepper-Donegal-Tweed-Classic-Fit-Jacket/m-11445.aspx

The fit, fabric, the fleck - everything is brilliant. If you check the link above and look at the fabric image in the gallery, you'll see how impressive the weave is.

I've now plumped for the Blue-grey in the sale snagging the last one in my size:
https://www.magee1866.com/en/Blue-and-Grey-Handwoven-Donegal-Tweed-Blazer/m-10347.aspx

That's equally good with subtle green fleck woven into it.
This is not the jackets that claim a Donegal fabric just because of a bit of fleck in it, this feels and is the proper article.

Magee do not actually weave much of this fabric, so when the jackets go out of stock they can be hard to find. There aren't any in the Spring-Summer 2019 range, though I envisage there may be for Autumn-Winter..

Ahume do some I see, but not many in the sale and pepper.  I see this one but they have limited sizing available:
https://www.ahume.co.uk/donegal-tweed-jacket-p2724

So I just wanted to start a thread appreciating Magee and Donegal tweed really.

#2 2019-01-26 02:50:35

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Re: Magee Donegal Salt & Pepper Jackets

I like the look of these... https://thearmoury.com/products/the-armoury-model-a-wool-donegal-trousers?variant=13594831421511

I know the fit is good on me in this model but my wardrobe is swimming in grey trousers and for the money I can get a pair made up so for those reasons, I'm out. Nice though.

Last edited by Goodyear welt (2019-01-26 02:51:02)

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#3 2019-01-26 06:21:48

An Unseen Scene

Nice trousers. Donegal trousers are great with the subtle salt and pepper weave. When it is as prominent as in the jackets I posted it is either for country pursuits or looks a bit comedic in a formal setting. Some great Donegal tweed trousers out there, I haven't bought any for a while but I might.

#4 2019-01-26 12:03:16

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I got a pair of these in the NYC J Press sale. US made by Hertling, great quality, nice high waistline and clean cut.

Good price right now.

https://jpressonline.com/collections/dress-trousers/products/grey-donegal-trousers-classic-fit?variant=9439513280559

At the time of my visit in December they had swatches for 25 different patterns of Donegal tweed and had a deal going where you could have a jacket made up to measure in it for the same price as their ready to wear version. They are the masters of Donegal.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#5 2019-01-26 15:14:51

An Unseen Scene

I wish J.Press used Magee fabric then I would be in. In the same way that we often want Harris or Shetland Tweed, I really wanted Donegal fabric originating from there.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2019-01-26 15:33:05)

#6 2019-01-26 16:23:40

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#7 2019-01-26 17:04:41

An Unseen Scene

Excellent, next time I am in USA I will explore further.

#8 2019-01-26 23:38:05

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#9 2019-01-28 22:05:37

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

I have bought Magee tweed fabric. It's very nice. Great colors and feel.

#10 2019-01-29 20:07:06

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#11 2019-01-30 04:49:24

McGeorge Bundyburger

Board footer