You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-30 10:04:26

Beestonplace

Leave the pocket square at home

No need to wear it.
You dont need to prove yourself.
Dont copy the others.
Oh, and shave before you leave the house.

I LOVE , this foum

#2 2019-03-30 11:05:08

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: Leave the pocket square at home

Not a fan of pocket squares personally, and they can be an affectation for sure. I think a plain white handkerchief folded in a suit jacket pocket can look very nice though, on others. Not with sport coats.

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#3 2019-03-30 11:45:29

captainpreppy

I'll just recount a little story from a Christmas party I attended last year. Most of the men were very well dressed, but hardly any of them rocked the square. I commended one little fellow for sporting a square. He replied, "MEN don't wear pocket squares, GENTLEMEN do!" The "little fellow" turned out to be a retired jockey (our host is a very prominent turfman) so obviously a tougher, braver man than I ever was!

Unless I am wearing a "beater" sport coat for yard work or walking the dog, I invariably wear a pocket square in a jacket that has a pocket for one.

"Ascots and pocket squares,
that's what every cool guy wears!"

#4 2019-03-30 11:46:54

Beestonplace

I look good when dressing down. In the last few days I wore 3-button-cuff shirts from T&A instead of the usual double cuffs. No pocket square. Shoes polished to perfection. A new watch. All very plain.

The pocket square has become very mainstream in my region.

I LOVE , this foum

#5 2019-03-30 17:14:15

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I tend to feel that if you want to look dressed up and you can be bothered to fold up a handkerchief/square and stick it in your jacket pocket quite nicely, why the hell not just wear a tie. They're both just superfluous bits of cloth that don't actually perform any function.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#6 2019-03-31 04:44:00

Patrick

I don't wear one or not wear one automatically. Depends on my mood.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#7 2019-03-31 11:25:59

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#8 2019-03-31 12:49:10

Beestonplace

Its an affection shown by everyman.

I LOVE , this foum

#9 2019-03-31 14:20:51

Berkeley_Breathes

I don't really have an issue with it as something everyone does. First of all because I don't that's true where I am, so I don't have the same perspective on it that Beeston does. In the 1950s or 1960s many men wore them, not as an affectation but as an automatic part of wearing a suit, and if someone wears them the same way today I have an issue with it. I also don't have an issue with a pocket square worn a la Prince Charles - it's obviously a conscious choice, not simply automatic, but he uses his squares to add something to the outfit, as they usually are a different pattern than his tie and rarely plain white.

But I do have an issue with it:

a) as some kind of standard of "good dress," as if you're doing it wrong if you don't wear one. "An outfit isn't complete without one," or some dreck like that.
b) as pure affectation. There was a hilariously overblown discussion of pocket squares a while ago in this Styleforum trad thread I keep an eye on (we all need a laugh now and than) that really summed that up. Minute discussions of the pros and cons, with this jacket or that tie, etc. Someone even wrote "especially if you’re going for the Trad’s nonchalance it can really make you look like you agonized over it." Aren't you agonizing over it right now? How can you "go for" nonchalance? Unreal.

I just don't wear them because I don't care. I don't own any, don't want to spend the money on them, and don't think they'd look good on me if I did. But I'm not against them on principle.

#10 2019-03-31 19:57:32

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

I like them of course, they add some flair, color and some gloss to the matte-ness  of much of the rest of the wardrobe. I find that many men dont understand them although theyve become more the mode with many in recent years. Ive seen some matching tie and handkerchiefs sets that work and ive seen some drastically mismatched ones work. I think where men get themselves in trouble is when they try to get them to relate but not match but they dont have a knack for that touch, it comes out looking like they tried too hard.

#11 2019-04-01 04:20:04

Classic

#12 2019-04-01 06:55:29

The_Shooman
A pretty face

I do wear a pocketsquare sometimes, but only on days when I am in the mood and it enhances the outfit. Sometimes a ps is needed to really take the outfit to the next level, and other times it is needed to pull an outfit together (to match it to the socks or shoes or something on the outfit when wearing various colours in order to anchor it all down). Other times the ps can give a really relaxed casual classic look when done a certain way  with certain clothes. Pocketsquares can produce so many good effects.

Too many men don't know how to wear a ps, they don't know how to pull it off. Wearing a ps is an artform imo...one can't wear them like a uniform. Left brained reptilian men still need to learn this. Pocketsquares are not for robots!

#13 2019-04-01 07:40:58

mhalat

It was hard enough for me to learn to tie a tie with these big roast beef mitts of mine. I don't need to be fussing with yet another piece of cloth....

#14 2019-04-01 14:17:12

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

You are bang on trend Beeston. Pocket squares are indeed being worn less. Though far from out of fashion. It seems men no longer feel the need to use one to complete an outfit ALL the time. This was noted the other night by friends and myself while we were having drinks.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#15 2019-04-02 07:32:04

Patrick

Here's my "thought" process, if anything so muddled can be described as such:

Working day, sport jacket, no tie, chinos, rumpled Irish poet look. Carrying a notebook, camera, 87 pens and hand computer. And reading glasses.

This last item is the key. I need to get at the cheaters, and the handiest place by far to stash them is jacket breast pocket. Square gets in the way.

Or:

Highbrow concert of group my elderly mother sings in. No honorable way to get out of it. Thus, jacket, wool pants, tie, pocket square, good shoes (as opposed to mocs or Bean boots or something). It's appropriate and I don't need my cheaters to sit in the back and look at the ensemble. (And looking at the program just makes it go on longer.)

And I won't be overdressed. If anything, I will be the master of subtle elegance, with the rumpled Irish poet lurking just below the surface.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#16 2019-04-02 08:20:25

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#17 2019-04-02 11:12:48

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#18 2019-04-02 12:06:50

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#19 2019-04-02 12:19:27

Beestonplace

There is nothing wrong with a handkerchief. OR a large rose gold watch with complications. OR fancy socks. OR double monks. OR that contrast lined jacket. OR....

I LOVE , this foum

#20 2019-04-02 22:20:53

stanshall

#21 2019-04-02 22:29:08

Berkeley_Breathes

#22 2019-04-03 20:36:55

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#23 2019-04-04 09:40:41

stanshall

#24 2019-04-04 10:30:00

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare