You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-30 01:28:09

The_Shooman
A pretty face

SHOO DAMAGE - the painful stories

I am sure most of us have had a really nice pair of shoos that we owned only to trip on a gutter or something and damage the beautiful uppers. Tell us your stories of how your shoos got scratches and deep cuts. 

Story 1
I was wearing my stunning beautifully polished black John Lobb captoe oxfords. When l got home at night l was unpacking the car when l walked on the side of the path and slipped. It left a really deep cut on the side of the captoe. Even looking at it years later makes me sad because the damage was really significant to the leather.

Story 2
I unpacked a pair of stunning Vass dark brown wholecut adelaides. After 5 minutes l walked over near a cabinet and the toe got stuck underneath and put a big scrape right on the captoe. The scrape was medium deep. Still spit chips when l look at it.

Story 3
I bought a pair of moderately grain corrected Prada chelsea boots about 25 years ago, quite nice boots too. The first few minutes after wearing them outside l clipped a gutter and ripped the surface right off the toe area. No way to polish it out. The surface got ripper off exposing white leather underneath. I said bad words and put the boots back in the box where they have remained ever since. I've been meaning to get them repaired but haven't got around to it yet.

If l can think of anymore stories l post `m. Now it's your turn guys.

regards,
Shooey

#2 2019-05-10 20:34:08

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Re: SHOO DAMAGE - the painful stories

Wait, I think a good shoe repairman can grind a cut or scuff out of a shoe. Ive done similar things and has the leather ground and polished to as good as new.

When I was in school, I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds Boar skin shoes with a tred sole and two minutes after putting them on stepped in a huge pile of dog stuff. So big that it wrapped around the upper of my shoe and touched my sock. Plus being a tread sole, it was impossible to get out. Had to find an outdoor hose to rinse it.

#3 2019-05-11 23:33:47

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#4 2019-05-24 20:30:02

Popeye Doyle

Brand new brown suede tassel loafers from Brooks--first time wearing them at a garden party and a big blob of grease from the big blob of grease I was eating dripped right onto the toe, size of a half-dollar. Stained forever, no known remedy.

"All in all they are a pretty sleazy bunch."
                                            --Cruiser
"Can one safely bone the cordovan of the dead?"
                                            --Quay

#5 2019-05-24 20:55:42

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#6 2019-06-08 21:55:37

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#7 2019-11-09 22:56:08

ganxtr

I have no idea, but this is my opinion.
shoes – they are usually rubber solled, and although this may appear to be done because of rubbers durability, it is actually done because rubber does not conduct and we are now all separated from mother earth, out true provider of life and everything material.

sajid

#8 2019-11-10 08:42:35

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#9 2019-11-12 09:07:13

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I scuffed my St. Crispins on their opening night out. Right across the toe, really pissed me off.  I Can't seem to get a shine on the scuff. Any tips guys?

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#10 2019-11-15 02:19:36

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#11 2019-11-15 08:32:32

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#12 2019-11-20 05:19:13

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#13 2020-02-11 09:17:28

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Cardiffs are ready for collection. Picking them up Friday after work. Well excited.

#14 2020-02-14 23:28:28

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#15 2020-02-15 09:53:55

Rivella

A bold choice! Did you pick the colour of the soles aswell?

#16 2020-02-15 10:56:50

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

No, just the sole type and material. I wasn't expecting the Chelsea pair to be resoled and tipped. It really was a small rip on the sitching. Pretty sure the soles were that colour when I purchased them. My first shoe trunk show and I was really surprised how much EG can change on the last for a better fit. Though the standard 202 is a really great fit for me so just went with it as is. Lots of options for the shoes but I don't think the colour of the sole was one of them.

#17 2020-02-15 11:24:13

Rivella

Please excuse, I meant the natural looking soles and edges of the Cardiffs. Frans Boone carry shoes with this colouring aswell and I've wondered wether this is an automatic choice depending on the lightness of the chosen leather or if one can pick this. The sole on the Chelseas seems to be the standard business one.

Glad to heat about your pleasant experience, adjusting the fit wasn't possible during the last trunk show I attended in Germany. It was just for standard MTO where the configuration was down to last/style/sole/colour. Was the EG fellow a representative for Scandinavia or sent over from England? The one I met was a friendly lad but not very helpful while the selection he had on display was a bit odd, to say the least.

#18 2020-02-16 00:35:15

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

The rep was from England. Sounds like a different guy because this rep, Antony, was super helpful. The customer who was selecting a pair before me had an alteration on his chosen last. If I remember correct Antony said the company holds a lot of standard lasts with slight alterations.  I thought there were some odd looking shoes as well at my trunk show. Some very strange looking Dovers out of mixed leathers, perhaps done to show off variations EG can do.

I think it must be automatic choice with the sole and edge. I can't remember being offered a choice on that but it was about four months ago now.

Have you seen their London grain leather? Quite nice I thought.

#19 2020-02-16 02:50:00

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#20 2020-02-16 04:57:04

Rivella

A little cyberstalking for 'Antony Edward Green' reveals a bald guy from London, that's definitely not him. His pronunciation of Cadogan or Beaulieu certainly wouldn't have been as creative.

That would've likeley been my choice for a pair. I had my mind on a pair of Dovers or Sandringhams in a darker grained leather with a slightly thicker sole. Well, it wasn't meant to be. Come the next trunkshow in November I will have attempted an order for 4 years. They also had these very nice Utah leathers and a sort of needlepoint grain, overall an excellent selection to choose from.

#21 2020-02-16 07:40:09

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Yes the Dovers are a great looking shoe. I have a nice pair of lookalikes by Carlo Santos. Created I've been told after the shoe store, Skoaktiebolaget fell out with EG. The Skoaktiebolaget owners asked Santos to make a lookalike for them. TBF they've been quite a good shoe.

EG Portlands next for me I think. I need a nice easy going loafer for summer.

#22 2020-02-16 09:45:32

Rivella

Promenading the Oslo riviera in those while being clad in Ambrosi and Inglese sure sounds like fun. *I was walkin down the street, concentrating on truckin’ right…*

I had something similar by Santoni once and wish they came with a weight limited. They crumbled badly under my 100+kg.

My current line-up is mostly C&J with many others thrown in. Most of those have been resoled one or two times and while a move upmarket doesn't make sense financially, it would stylewise. After a brief encounter with Saint Crispin's I'm mostly looking at EG, J.M. Weston and some Aldens. There is a store called Anatomica in Paris that seems to stock a great variety of Aldens that I'm hoping to visit this year.

#23 2020-02-16 10:20:09

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

The only C&Js I have are the Chiltern chukkas. I love them.  I think they do some great looking shoes. The Pembroke and Grasmere rock. And their Dover lookalike of course. I wouldn't mind a pair of Aldens longwings. I'm all shoed out for now though, apart from the Portlands. The Oslo riviera won't know whats hit it. When I find it.

#24 2020-02-16 17:24:32

Rivella

Hear, hear! Anglo-Italian flamboyance hitting the cold and reserved Scandinavian soul. One can already see a call to make bunad obligatory in view of being invaded by the sprezzatura army.

You've just described my collection apart from the Brecon boot and some loafers. The Chilterns have died a peaceful death after two resoles and being put on life support by my cobbler for another two years. My first pair of English made shoes ever. The second one was the Norwegian model, I think it's called Onslow. Unfortnuately C&J don't fit me any more, rather irritating but they're either too small or too large.

Still, you're lucky to have Cavour nearby. I've been eyeing their online shop for some time. Thoughtfully chosen pieces and they stock LARGE sizes. Decent shops in Central Europe hardly ever go beyond a 54.

#25 2020-02-16 19:06:34

Ed13

When I was still in school I purchased a pair of light tan suede shoes and would be careful where I wore them.  One night unexpectedly ended up at a rowdy bar with blood and beer flying everywhere.  Didn't pay attention to my shoes until the next day and they were completely ruined.  Put me off suede shoes until my mid thirties.

Board footer