You are not logged in.

#26 2020-02-16 23:39:15

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Re: SHOO DAMAGE - the painful stories

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#27 2020-02-17 15:13:11

Rivella

At least they're not afraid of discounts. Here 20% are already seen as a divine gift.

The Northern Europeans have really overtaken the traditional retailers in other parts of Europe, be it Germany, Italy or Switzerland. Online shops, quick customer service, competent in-house MTM services and understanding that you stock basic colours and reserve specials for trunk shows, not the other way round. All not exactly witchcraft but seemingly difficult to adapt to for some. Too many are stuck in the 90s and 00s. A store I regularly visited was the prime example for this. He was one of the first to be offered trunk shows with Ambrosi before he blew up. I told him to do it as prices were excellent but he declined, too similar to Kiton or Attolini. I told him to contemplate an online shop but no again, too much effort packing and shipping. Today he's gone though he tried to groome a successor, the young guy was in his early 30s but already stuck in the past, no sense for business in modern times despite a business degree. When he cleared out his deadstock there were items worth over 200k€, in an online shop he could've cleared it out, just as Michael Jondral does now every season. It was all there for the taking, a fantastic store to be rebuilt, now business is elsewhere.

Last edited by Rivella (2020-02-17 15:17:40)

#28 2020-03-18 02:48:12

The_Shooman
A pretty face

I've had strange things happen to a pair of shoos last week. The pair l have is probably considered to be made by the finest cordwainer in the world, and the pair is new, yet after a day of wear one of the toes has this resin stain all over them and the two hand stitched soles have come apart (all in one day). They are so trashed that the famous shoemaker was shocked to see the pictures and said he had never seen anything like it in his 50 years of making, and he agreed to remake the shoes.

I've never had a shoo come apart like this ever, nor have I had a shoo become so stained with resin or muck. The shoe looks like it has come from a war zone. Truly puzzling, it makes no sense what so ever.

How can a world class shoo go from impeccable to trashed in 6 hours of normal walking. An 8th wonder of the world.

#29 2020-03-18 05:19:10

Rivella

While they were unworn, were they produced recently aswell? Natural materials are prone to ageing and drying out. Could it be that they are quite old and were kept in a warm place so the materials lost their elasticity?

Board footer