You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-15 23:21:00

The_Shooman
A pretty face

What unusual colours do you like in your wardrobe?

I am a fan of various tones of green in clothing and shoes. A lime green shirt can go well with navy, while a murky creek green tweed coat goes well with gray trousers, and green olive tweed trousers go well with a cranberry shawl collar 6 ply cardigan. Green antiqued shoes can also be made to work. I also have numerous kelly green and dark green jumpers (about 5) because l love those shades of colour in knitwear.

I am also a fan of purple in the wardrobe. I have two pairs of purple shoes and various purple cashmere knits. They can match with various tones of jacket and various colours of trousers. Well selected purple shoes can also work with khaki and bone and tan trousers in summer. I am also going to pair my new purple shoes with Prince of Wales check clothes and trousers.

Green is perhaps my favourite colour in clothes, and besides purple l am also a fan of navy bloo shoos. Another unusual item l have is an orange Hermes cashmere turtleneck, that is always interesting and memorable. I find adding a nice colour piece is something l like to do and it can really enhance lots of outfits.

Please share with us the type of colours and things you all like in menswear.

#2 2019-10-22 07:17:16

mhalat

Re: What unusual colours do you like in your wardrobe?

1) Green - for all of the reasons you've described. To add to your list, olive green cavalry twill trousers are fall + winter mainstays for me, and I also have a soft spot for bottle green corduroy. Also enjoy an olive green shoe.

2) Red - I really like bright, scarlet red bengal stripes, bright red knitwear, and so on. Cranberry is great too.

3) Purple - echoing your sentiments, everything from lilac knits, to deep purple bengal stripes, to grape purple university stripe oxfords and beyond.

4) Yellow - Yellow and yellow striped OCBDs, lemon yellow knits, have a really nice pale yellow bengal stripe from Inglese.

5) Orange - burnt orange seems to be back for women, and i'm a big proponent of the colour on men too. Also quite like an orange accent stripe, or in a windowpane. Orange ties of all varieties are also a weakness of mine....

#3 2019-10-22 17:25:12

stanshall

I like greens too, a lot ... for yellow I've got some ocbds in solids and uni stripe from Press and Andover as well as some short-sleeved striped bd Makers from Brooks

got in the habit of not wearing crimson but I do have a several great old Press, Andover, and  Brooks, foulards, repps, ancient madders, maybe a knit, those I could use, don't wear them too often but you don't throw them away ...

in purple I've had t-shirts and I know I had a pair of purple suede Pro-Keds circa '71-'73 ... had a great grape and white ocbd, lot of white in the weave, from a shop called Ara's in the spring '82 period and some favorite purple/white uni stripe ocbds from Andover for years, wore them to shreds

burnt orange is not my fave but I might have a foulard or two but Press and Andover in that shade, also socks and a funky old t-shirt too

red is a color I'm currently avoiding but I've got red stuff, in fact I bought a red t-shirt a month or so ago, it's breaking in well

I do have red socks and also red scarf, ski cap, t-shirts, ties, but they are in reserve

pink ocbds

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#4 2019-10-22 17:51:10

Berkeley_Breathes

Green, as others have said (so perhaps not that unusual!) - just bought a green and yellow horizontal stripe knit tie from J. Press, pics to come soon...

Pink, of course... In shirts and various accents...

Though not as much to our minds perhaps, I think that a true unusual color when thinking of the general population - increasingly clad in tan shoes and medium blue or medium gray suits - is brown. I wear brown Shetlands, brown shoes, brown cords, brown tweeds, even a light brown J. Press suit on occasion...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#5 2019-10-22 17:51:36

Berkeley_Breathes

Yellow in ribbon belts, watchbands, etc...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#6 2019-10-24 22:15:29

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

I cant get enough of pink, to the point where I like pink stripes in my suits. I dont know if the color is unusual but I like many different shades. Unfortunately, my favorite source of pink silk used for ties in the UK hasn't been available for years due to an overabundant production of what the UK market considers the "wrong" shades of pink which doesn't seem to ever sell down to make room for redyeing/reweaving of the smarter shades.

#7 2019-10-25 17:35:39

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Last edited by The_Shooman (2019-10-25 17:48:12)

#8 2019-10-25 17:40:39

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#9 2019-10-26 08:15:35

Ed13

I am a big fan of pink.  Always great paired with blues or greys.

Red pants are great, currently have a pair of poppy red cords.  Also like deep red stripes on shirt by themselves or with varying shades of blue.  Just ordered a shirt with red and ice/aqua blue stripes.

Burnt orange is a staple for me in fall and I like some light orange shades for the summer.  Just ordered a burnt orange and navy stripe shirt.  For some reason I always like a burnt orange in combination with dark greens.

Dark greens are also a favourite.  I have to be careful with lighter shades of green or any yellows against my skin.  I have a slight olive complexion and the wrong shade can make me look sickly if I don't have a tan.  I save lighter shades of green for pants.  Currently have a pair of bottle green cords.

This year I have already had two brown jackets made and am waiting for a new camelhair with oversize blue checks.  I find brown versatile any time of year and a great casual colour I don't see worn often.

Board footer