You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-04 01:37:57

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Why do we have so much stuff?

Quite an interesting video about the psychology of shopping and excessive consumption. It's on the BBC so apologies if anyone overseas can't view it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/ideas/videos/why-do-we-have-so-much-stuff/p07jm4xc

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2 2020-01-04 06:07:44

Patrick

Re: Why do we have so much stuff?

I don't know but I'll be able to tell you more later today after I cover this:

https://www.scovillelibrary.org/event/the-psychology-of-stuff-why-we-have-so-much-and-what-we-can-do-about-it-presented-by-dr-kelly-kandra-hughes-phd-psychology/

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#3 2020-01-04 10:20:30

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#4 2020-01-04 21:43:12

Patrick

Lady said it was a dopamine thing, like addiction. We buy stuff because it makes us feel better. The feeling wears off, and we have to buy more and more to get less and less of a kick. Next thing you know, it's Homer and Langley time.

I have about 60 fly-fishing rods and 40 or so reels. I use all of them at least once a year, in part to justify having them. But I generally use about 10 of them most of the time.

But I'm not married and at age 58 I'm not exactly cutting a wide swath through the female population around here, most of whom have been collecting Social Security for a while. So I can have a giant rack of sport coats and a mess of fishing gear and piles of CDs and books. There is nobody to complain. And I wouldn't listen anyway.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#5 2020-01-05 01:55:50

The_Shooman
A pretty face

A man may have hundreds of shoos and socks and cashmere jumpers (highend Made-in-Scotland), and it would be easy to buy hundreds more of each, but it gets to a point when one needs to become rational and stop the desires and dreams because it gets too extreme. I reached that point with shoos years ago and more recently with jumpers, and with socks it is getting to that point despite having hundreds of pairs stored up for a rainy day, none-the-less, l still have a big sock list of socks l wish to get. With shoos l could buy thousands of pairs, but there is no point because the satisfaction of having enough would never be filled, that is why l am really strict with buying shoos now...they are far too addictive. I could own 10,000 pairs of shoos and still want more, so l have largely retired from shoo buying now. The silliness needs to stop.

Last edited by The_Shooman (2020-01-05 10:36:28)

#6 2020-01-05 06:52:52

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Personally I've reached a point where I won't be buying any more shirts, knitwear or ties. I will be buying one pair of shoes this year, some EG Portlands for summer. And I'm waiting for a pair of MTO to collect. I've reached the point where I can look in stores and online and just realise that no matter how much I like an item I know I wouldn't wear it enough to justify buying it. But that took me years to acknowledge.

I'll be getting some pants from time to time this year cause I've started wearing them higher on the rise and my old pairs don't feel right and its looks pretty bad. Though their ok with knitwear I guess.  Something from Attolini again this year, most likely a sportscoat from their trunk show, but thats a treat I'm going to allow myself. I don't really have to have it.

In the past I've given stuff away or sold it and just ended up filling the gap in drawers and wardrobes with more stuff. Right now I'm happy with the quailty and lot of my wardrobe. I'm done with chasing the buzz of having something new made or purchased.  I agree with Shooey, the silliness has to stop.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#7 2020-03-05 12:51:06

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Well we have more stimuli hitting our brains than ever before. most of it is crap. Whether on the Internet of other media, using smart phone or tablet, think of all the new things you can see all the time?

Maybe we should all be devotees of Marie Kondo.

#8 2020-03-05 14:45:58

Berkeley_Breathes

I have a friend with a "One in, one out" policy for books. Imagine doing the same for clothes?

I have a shortlist of clothing wants for the near future, but it's truly a shortlist - after that it's just maintaining (repairs and replacements as needed). My closet is huge but also full.

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

Board footer