You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-05 15:03:08

GeorgieBoy

Leith clothing

Hello everyone.
Long time no posting. Coming in from the cold here.
Has anyone heard what has happened to Leith Clothing?? Went to look at a new Shetland and the website appears to have gone?

#2 2022-10-01 02:38:51

FlatSixC

Re: Leith clothing

For anyone in the UK who develops an interest in Ivy clothing there is a reasonable range of stuff on offer from a variety of sources (pricipally John Simons in London) without going to the trouble and expense of importing from the USA. But ten years ago the picture wasn’t quite so rosy. A young man called Guy Barley who was working in John Simons’ shop noticed that Ivy styled madras button down shirts just weren’t obtainable. So he left his job at the shop, enlisted the aid of a shirtmaker and set about producing his own bleeding madras numbers under the name of Leith Clothing. He marketed a few other bits and pieces, block stripe tee shirts and Shetland sweaters bought from a Scottish maker with the the Leith label sewn in. The madras shirts were outstanding and well received by the relatively small number of Ivy enthusiasts in the UK and Europe. Alas it only lasted for a few years but I have a Leith shirt and a Shetland which are both superb.

Whilst idly leafing through Jake’s Shirts website I came across this description of one of his Madras shirts:

‘ A few months ago I was approached by Lewis, formerly of Leith clothing. He sent me some pictures of this cloth and as soon as I seen it I knew I had to have it!  Around 10 years ago Lewis and his business partner Guy had this cloth woven in India. They went to great lengths to get it just right - so much so that it now sits in the Harris collections ledger books alongside its mid-century counter parts. 100% authentic in design and manufacture, this stuff is so bloody special.’

https://www.jakesldn.com/product-page/bleeding-massive-madras-mkii-button-down-shirt

#3 2022-10-01 03:32:47

Runninggeez

I too have one of Guy's Madras shirts which I absolutely love.

#4 2022-10-01 06:24:01

colin
Bright Light

How did they fade/bleed in the end? I seem to be weirdly specific about Madras colours and didn't entirely hit the mark at the time for me....which I very much regret! Likewise, missed their Shetlands too, although I think they were easier to get produced than the Madras shirts.

Love the block stripe t shirt I have but it's a size too small for me and long since possible to get bigger sizes.

Credit to Guy for working on that project. Was a nice guy. Wonder what happened to him in the end?

#5 2022-10-02 18:10:09

Dulouz

''Credit to Guy for working on that project. Was a nice guy. Wonder what happened to him in the end?''

Well they got burnt and lost the shirts design/block to the maker, is my understanding.

I had one, but it didn't bleed much, it shrunk a bit and when I went up a size it was too slim-fit for me. So it never got the chance to bleed.

#6 2022-10-03 01:13:18

colin
Bright Light

Did you sell it on in the end?

#7 2022-10-03 06:44:25

AlveySinger

I didn't know the history of Leith. I colleague of mine had one of their shetlands. Superb colour and quality.

#8 2022-10-03 08:11:20

RobbieB

The Leith block tee shirts were pretty special. Good luck to Jake and his shirt making ventures in my spiritual home of Silvertown.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#9 2022-10-03 08:24:33

RobbieB

As a matter of interest does anyone know where J Simons get their Made in London shirts and clothes manufactured?

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#10 2022-10-31 21:19:24

Dulouz

''Did you sell it on in the end?''

It went to the charity shop. Haven't the time or inclination to sell stuff on platforms.

Board footer