#1 2020-06-19 09:00:55

Sid Ford

White jeans

Yes or no?

#2 2020-06-19 10:05:18

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: White jeans

No. My humble opinion.

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#3 2020-06-19 11:14:32

Tomiskinky

Erm, in a 501 style I would say no - unless your after a more Ivy-Mod look

I have white Galey and Lord trousers, which I think look superb but white denim is a different fish altogether.

Not the best article and the example image of Newman he is wearing stone 5 pockets which are very acceptable imo.
https://therake.com/stories/how-to-wear-white-trousers/?utm_source=instagrambau&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=170520_whitetrousers

#4 2020-06-19 11:23:24

colin
Bright Light

off white worn short in west coast, stripy t shirt surf style? - a big yes

......white white? do-able but not for the faint-hearted!

#5 2020-06-19 21:37:21

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#6 2020-06-20 07:28:01

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

White clothing is as stark as black, so apart from a collared shirt worn under a jacket I generally avoid it.

I did once have a pair of white Lands End jeans that I picked up for next to nothing from a LE outlet that used to operate near us. They worked okay with a strong coloured Madras or Hawaiian short sleeve shirt. But I did feel slightly self conscious and they weren't particularly practical as the slightest mark stands out. I ended up sacrificing them to some half-assed dyeing experiment - I ended up with khaki jeans with white stitching that had to be binned.

But the all white look? No thanks, I think it looks a bit cheesy ... unless you're sitting on a yacht in the Med.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#7 2020-06-20 09:12:36

Berkeley_Breathes

#8 2020-06-20 10:18:43

Yuca

Wheat yes white no. Even wheat are a bit heavy for summer temperatures for my personal tastes.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#9 2020-06-20 10:19:56

Yuca

I wore white jeans for many years in my mod days and don't miss them in the slightest.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#10 2020-06-20 15:02:37

Tomiskinky

The McQueen ones above are cords, the infamous white tab 6614s

Like white bucks, you have to be nonchalant about any marks. Easily done if you haven’t paid through the nose, but if you ever luck out on a pair of the above you’ll not want to be getting marks on them! Haha

Last edited by Tomiskinky (2020-06-20 15:03:01)

#11 2020-06-22 02:30:48

Sid Ford

Cheers all
My problem is finding a pair of ecru/off white that aren't stupidly expensive.

Living in the UK, I will not be wearing a pair of lightweight trousers this colour very often so I am not keen on paying that much... and I have found a pair of Edwin's online that look like they would fit quite nicely (high waist with a gentle taper) BUT they look very white. Very. No hint of an off white in them...

#12 2020-06-22 09:29:12

Tomiskinky

If your not too insistent on the rise etc you could maybe consider these from Uniqlo.

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/men/bottoms/jeans?quickView=422364

Or, search eBay for any LVC518s (surfin’ safari white Levi’s brand), don’t come up often and are not cheap but they were one of the better reissues for spec, sold mine as lost weight and they were huge on me. Sadly.

Last edited by Tomiskinky (2020-06-22 09:35:00)

#13 2020-06-22 10:06:05

Sid Ford

Last edited by Sid Ford (2020-06-22 10:07:01)

#14 2020-09-19 11:21:31

Leer R.

#15 2020-09-20 10:25:01

stanshall

very difficult for most men to wear well ... most of these archive pics show them being worn on boats or seaside, that was traditional

white trousers were worn for tennis Hi Bop but not white jeans

white jeans in a West Coast surf style with a striped t-shirt, as described above by Colin, were a good '60s look for clean-cut surfers and Beach Boys, but I really don't see many guys wearing white jeans these days

white jeans are not good on pudgy dudes

in my mind's eye I see them being worn onstage by mid-'60s garage rock bands and by Pop painters in their studios ........

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#16 2024-01-20 04:58:40

FlatSixC

I was re-reading this thread and mulling my comment decrying white jeans … as with other things, your views can change with time.

During the summer I bought a pair of white Bedford cord jeans at John Simons, they were worn a time or two, but largely languished in the wardrobe. However this winter they have seen a renaissance during the recent dry, crisp weather. I have mainly been wearing them with playboys, a Shetland sweater, a scarf and tweed overcoat plus sunglasses. Wearing sunglasses in the winter can look very cool, providing it’s sunny of course, if it’s not you look a bit of a twat.

I’ve noted Stax’s comments about the Peter Christian white drill jeans, but I’‘ve taken the plunge on a pair of white Wrangler 13MWZ denim jeans. To my shame, these are coming from Amazon but they were the only online shop in the UK where I could find them. We’ll see what they’re like.

Anyone else doing white jeans this winter?

#17 2024-01-20 07:57:14

Staxfan

FSC - I had a pair of wheat ‘Liberto’ 5 pockets NOS from JS, I persevered with them for a few winters as they were ‘winter weight’ and too heavy for the warmer months, but I felt uncomfortable in them, I think if you are tall’ish ( which I’m not ), you can pull it if with some style on a cold bright winters day,

#18 2024-01-21 06:42:09

Tomiskinky

My recent score Levi’s canvas spikes are a natural unbleached fabric and perfect for this cold weather. Like FSC worn with snuff PBs and some nice knitwear

#19 2024-01-21 12:22:18

RobbieB

I have a pair of 5 pocket, high waist, ecru white jeans from All Saints that I picked up from TKMaxx last year, for a song.They fit me perfectly and look 'the business' but have I worn them outside? Not on your life. One day, one day. At least that's what I tell myself. Living by the Thames estuary allows me a bit of leeway with dressing outside excepted norms as I walk along the promenade but I do not yet have 'the bottle' to put on my off white strides.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#20 2024-01-21 15:31:45

AlveySinger

I'm a fan and have both white and ecru jeans but they are far too lightweight for Winter.

Something I'm currently investigating is white cords.

My inspiration was Press Pennant. They've featured them with a camel coloured tweed jacket.

I was in Arkett yesterday and spotted a pair. They looked too wide and I wasn't in the mood for trying anything on.

#21 2024-01-24 16:05:58

FlatSixC

There is a definite step (up?) from wheat or khaki jeans to pure white ones.

You’ll see plenty of men wearing various off-white colours of jean and trouser… beige, cream, sand, stone etc, but very few pure white.

Pure white seems to be the preserve of the adventurous dresser, the one who doesn’t care about standing out from the herd, the one who can live with the odd grubby mark and the need to wash his trousers more often. They’re not the thing to wear if you’re going for a curry or a spag bol.

It’s also quite hard to find pure white jeans, you almost never see them in the shops. John Simons have got some , but I’m not minded to pay £200 for them. I ordered some Levi 101s that were described as white, only to find when they arrived that they were a wheat colour. I’m still waiting for my Wranglers, they are coming from the USA.

Board footer