You are not logged in.

#76 2022-09-18 13:51:16

Streetlight

Re: Dressedwell

The Ivy Room seems to have gone.

#77 2022-09-19 02:36:51

Tworussellstreet

Oh dear, and Sammy put up such a concerted and prolonged recruitment campaign. And it all came to nowt...

#78 2022-09-19 03:08:23

Kingston1an

‘Ivy style for today’ is still there. I just had a look. Last post by FXH.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#79 2022-09-19 05:18:44

Sammy Ambrose

Streetlight said: "The Ivy Room seems to have gone."

Yes. Although the Ivy threads are still there, the distinct  section dedicated to Ivy has gone. The separate section was at a guess  provided as a special favour to Ivyists given the problems with this part of FNB. However, given the lack of appreciation for this favour that notion was abandoned.

Last edited by Sammy Ambrose (2022-09-19 05:21:17)

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#80 2022-09-19 18:38:25

Dulouz

How very gracious of mine host at Dressedwell to set-up an Ivy section only to disband it when the Ivyists weren't appreciative enough. Not for him to give it time to develop. Over there, it's a playpen of crankpots and ex-colonial types with chips on both shoulders as the response to the Queen's passing does attest.

It's a place where Ivyists, jazz cats, pop kids and the Brits are most unwelcome.

Still, if the lockdowns weren't quite long enough for you, you feel a need to disband the police, you entertain the notion that the IRA are behind the stunning defense of the Ukraine, take great offense at Buzz Rickson's, are scarred by the sheer brutality of 1980s pop videos, post doomladen climate hysteria then post asking for help which is the best SUV to buy, then yes, it's definitely the toxic non-style and menswear forum you've been looking for. A place for cool cats, just like you.

#81 2022-09-21 04:59:53

Mr Barker

Dulouz - A very accurate summation unfortunately. The most popular topics are non-clothes related, or sneering at posts on other forums. ‘Discussion’ for most of the regular contributors consists of posting an internet link, often to cranky news sites, accompanied maybe by a sentence of their own, there are some oddballs and illiterates on there for sure. Check out the donations part of the site, I was surprised at the amounts that some of their members are willing to contribute to keep the DW drivel going.

As to the Ivy section closing; it wasn’t being used and as it’s their site it’s their prerogative to shut it down. We could have migrated there en masse and set up our own Ivy republic, but people here didn’t fancy it. Sammy Ambrose showing up here as a recruiter, with his track record of years of trolling on Talk Ivy, didn’t help much either.

So be it, we’ll just have to think of something else.

#82 2022-09-21 14:45:19

Runninggeez

Sammy's sales pitch was that you could post photos on there, but I've IG for that.

It's a shame you can't do that anymore, but it's nice to have the odd chat on here with like minded souls.

#83 2022-09-21 20:29:52

Dulouz

They've certainly got the platform, but it should be renamed Jacobin.net where they can all whine about the royal family and attract the non-sartorial crowd it's evidently now aimed at. Kingy was banned for no good reason, other than being English, Formby gave up on them as a lost cause and that 4F Hepcat/Leslie Howard chap goaded them into banning him with the owner complaining he was inundated with complaints of the offensive music videos he had posted as justification. Check it out. A quick glance of the music video thread will reveal that's definitely the case if you find ska, modern jazz, punk and new wave, 80s pop, reggae and analogue synth tracks very offensive indeed. Which they evidently do, if you don't fit in. And Brits don't over there. Except for Sammy, for now, but they're rapidly tiring of him, he'll get the cold shoulder too, soon enough.

We need the right platform, this is a legacy one and so we must wait, or develop one ourselves.

#84 2022-09-22 02:44:29

Kingston1an

I was not banned. I gave up on it.

Posting ‘police activity’ videos really annoyed the owner as it clashed with his ‘all cops are bastards’ philosophy. They were just footage of police worn cameras. Viewers could then make up their own minds. The ‘complaints’ justification was wheeled out though.

As far as I am aware, Pimpy/hepcat is still posting over there.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#85 2022-09-22 02:59:55

Kingston1an

Pimpy and Formby and others would have been better off over here. However, they are not so interested in Ivy, they are more Wardrobe. If The Wardrobe was still active FNB himself might take more interest.

#86 2022-09-22 19:29:37

Dulouz

Kingston1an: Knew they had started a ''complaint'' procedure against you and assumed they had banned you for not keeping in step with the narrative.

Pimpernel Smith was banned, they were telling all the new members to put him on ignore, then Grand Potentate went nuts with lots of expletives. One Morrissey video too many, or so it seems.

#87 2022-09-27 19:47:00

Dulouz

Note that the Dressedwell inner sanctum are losing no time having banned Pimpernel Smith to mentioning him with more than a nod and a wink in several ongoing threads. It seems having got rid of him, they just can't get enough of his wit and perspective on their rather humdrum lives as displayed in their current affairs, famous people who died, climate hysteria and leather clad middle-aged Lou Reed wannabee forum. Resplendent with aviator sunglasses in budget no thrills hotel rooms. How very apt and sad indeed.

#88 2022-09-28 13:10:25

Streetlight

This I have to see!

#89 2022-09-28 14:10:04

Dulouz

One should immediately go to Page 406 of the What Are You Wearing Today thread:

https://www.dressedwell.net/threads/what-are-you-wearing-today.86/page-406

Magnificent ensembles by inner sanctum member, Dropbear. Super-duper, unlike Gary Cooper, a leather clad trooper!

Two thumbs up too. There will be several more as they all step into line.

Who can deny? It's a great edgy look. Bespoke and yet quite sinister.

They've all got it on today over there!

#90 2022-09-29 02:46:03

FlatSixC

I can only conclude that he must be sending himself up in those pictures. If he genuinely thinks that’s a good look for a middle aged man then he’s got a problem.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2022-09-29 04:14:06)

#91 2022-09-29 03:39:12

Spendthrift

'One should immediately go to Page 406 of the What Are You Wearing Today thread:'

That's hilarious. He justifies that jacket by saying it's so well made it'll outlive him and his kids.

As will anything once you realise it looks awful and quietly put it in a box at the back of the shed.

#92 2022-09-30 05:47:02

Dulouz

''I can only conclude that he must be sending himself up in those pictures. If he genuinely thinks that’s a good look for a middle aged man then he’s got a problem.''
No, he's serious in his lack of sartorial IQ and giving his fellow middle-aged dad trendies a shot of the street man.

No sympathy, he had a big hang-up on Buzz Rickson's gear accusing someone of not earning the right to wear a rather benign looking WWII USMC chore jacket as that person's dad hadn't earned his medals at My Lai in Vietnam, or some other excuse for fake moral outrage. Then the inner sanctum formed a frenzied mob accusing the poor chap of being a neo-Nazi with a taste for SS Einsatzgruppen uniforms from an obscure website that they all happened to know quite intimately and posted the links. Strange cats.

The mob over there, also have a big hang up on Levis Vintage Clothing range 501's as being not authentic enough for them in build and only Japanese raw selvedge jeans cut the mustard for them. Little knowing that the current range of Vintage 501 denims are made in Japan.

''That's hilarious...''
Zero self-awareness. I think it's quite wonderful that someone of his age thinks that's remotely a way to project gravitas, flair and style. Can you imagine if he was your dad? You could always say to your mates ''Don't laugh, that's how my dad dresses when he's doing his Lou Reed tribute act. You should see him when he does Donna Summer!''

#93 2022-10-03 10:04:45

Skipper

Maybe it's not so exciting that fewer than a handful of users in a dysfunctional forum talk almost exclusively about what John Simons has to offer and gossip about other forums.

#94 2022-10-03 10:57:18

Runninggeez

Obviously not much to offer on DW Skipper, as you've decided to come back to bitch and whine on a dysfunctional thread.

#95 2022-10-03 13:32:20

Skipper

It is psychologically understandable that it is easier to meet justified criticism with embarrassing insinuations than to think about why this forum is in such a desolate state. That's not productive in the slightest, but it's very amusing.

#96 2022-10-03 14:41:08

Dulouz

Nothing wrong with a bit of gossip. It is what it is...hardly as if DW isn't populated by a couple of cranks, weirdos and gobshites.

#97 2022-10-04 11:21:41

Tworussellstreet

Ah dear old Skip, driven mad by the nutty Brits banging on about madras popovers and The Blessed St. John Simons. Dont'cha just love it? Stroking that handsome hound of yours should bring that blood pressure down a bit old chap.

#98 2022-10-04 20:36:02

Dulouz

''Ah dear old Skip...'' He certainly wants to participate here and that's a good thing.

#99 2022-10-05 02:16:33

Skipper

Dulouz: ''Ah dear old Skip...'' He certainly wants to participate here and that's a good thing.

I'm conflicted about this. This used to be a really good forum that I enjoyed hanging out in. Then it suddenly disappeared because the operator had missed updates for years. When it surprisingly reappeared, most of the users were gone and it hasn't worked properly ever since. In addition, the range of topics has also become significantly smaller, which I criticized exaggeratedly.
What became of users, e.g. "stanshall" whose contributions I greatly appreciated? Isn't there a way to get them back? For this, however, one would also have to offer a platform that is technically up to date. Because I used to be a forum administrator myself, I know it's not rocket science.
But I've written all this several times in the past and nothing has happened so far. It's no wonder users are migrating.

#100 2022-10-05 02:18:42

Skipper

Tworusselstreet:"Stroking that handsome hound of yours should bring that blood pressure down a bit old chap."

My blood pressure is fine.

Board footer