You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-23 07:17:28

A Fine Sadness

Alvar Aalto, Nanny Still And Others...

Alongside buying vintage clothing - I even had my own stall at one time but selling more 'Americana' than 'Ivy' - I became hooked on fabrics, textiles, ceramics, furniture, glass, art pottery - that sort of thing.  Plywood.  Finnish and Central European glass - standing on shelves before me now.  Also art nouveau, art deco.  I recall a conversation with John Simons about Christopher Dresser, too.  Ercol I always knew about and sold a quantity online, including to Japan.  Still have a lovely piece to this day, now over sixty years old.  John Piper and other post-war, post-Festival Of Britain designers became big for me.  Lovely trips to Paris and Barcelona.  It can't all be about clothes, you know.  Anyone else gone down this route?  Just as big a thrill as sourcing Norman Hilton suits, Walkover shoes or Lion Of Troy shirts.

#2 2022-01-14 06:45:02

A Fine Sadness

Re: Alvar Aalto, Nanny Still And Others...

Another term that is absolutely everywhere at the moment is 'Mid-Century': vague enough for even the dopiest Ebay seller.  Doubtless the next development is 'Curated Mid-Century'.

Board footer