You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-14 11:44:40

Skipper

What's going on here?

I've run a forum myself for a while and know that it's not a big problem to update to a new version. But that hasn't happened for years. The forum only broke because this was neglected for a long time. As a result, almost all users are gone. Now the quotation function no longer works, which makes dialogues impossible. Nothing changes in that either.

Actually, I think forums are much better than social media, but for me this means that I look in here and participate much less often than I would if I could look at the forum on my mobile phone and if it was basically usable.

What are the opinions about it? Am I missing something?

#2 2021-10-14 11:54:01

A Fine Sadness

Re: What's going on here?

Skipper, you've raised some good points; echoing some of Yuca a little while ago (re mobile 'phones).  I only wish I could provide you with an answer.  Maybe FNB will drop in soon and comment.  Woofboxer is also up to speed on this, I think.

#3 2021-10-14 13:09:56

RobbieB

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#4 2021-10-14 13:11:57

RobbieB

I see what you mean. Quotation not working

#5 2021-10-14 13:13:24

RobbieB

I can use my mobile phone to access the site however

#6 2021-10-14 13:15:37

RobbieB

Messages don't seem to work anymore

#7 2021-10-14 15:25:58

Skipper

Another question: is anyone taking care of bringing back the old users?

#8 2021-10-14 16:13:26

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I have emailed FNB asking what the outlook for the Forum is and if there are any timescales for things to get back to normal. He has previously made it clear that the current situation is a stopgap.

There’s nothing to stop anyone from roping in old members, but personally I shall wait until all the functions are restored and the place is a going concern.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#9 2021-10-15 01:33:53

A Fine Sadness

I just hope they haven't all become seduced by those sites where odd chaps stand round in circles taking pictures of one another's pants cuffs and loafers. 
'Talk Ivy' may be far from perfect but it serves to remind me exactly what drew me in the first place.  All that knowledge.  I lapped it up.  Maybe, in the fullness of time, others will feel the urge to post instead of simply viewing.  But they'll have to come to terms with the fact that this isn't a three-ring circus featuring a multitude of zippy images.  It should remain, as Woof said, a quiet corner of the internet.  As it is we're still discussing button-downs, chinos, bits and pieces.  Onward.

#10 2021-10-21 07:19:25

Skipper

A week has now passed and the administrator has not even considered it necessary to comment on these matters. Of course, nothing has changed and I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Hope dies last and I'll definitely stop by again, but for now I'm gone. Not that anyone cares.

#11 2021-10-21 07:47:10

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I thought my post 2 spaces above outlined the situation, perhaps I need to review my communication skills.

John Simons

#12 2021-10-21 07:55:39

RobbieB

Skipper I only use a mobile phone to use this site and don't appear to have problems apart from the messages and quotes and photos. I feel the site needs a critical mass of uses to justify an update so I think you should stick around.

#13 2021-10-22 02:24:14

Skipper

"I thought my post 2 spaces above outlined the situation, perhaps I need to review my communication skills." (Woofboxer)

You wrote him an email and he apparently didn't think it necessary to reply for a week. That says a lot.

"Skipper I only use a mobile phone to use this site and don't appear to have problems apart from the messages and quotes and photos. I feel the site needs a critical mass of uses to justify an update so I think you should stick around." (RobbieB)

The forum doesn't even have responsive design, which has been standard for at least ten years. In addition, several of the basic functions you mentioned are broken. The use of the forum on the mobile phone is generally an impertinence.

Regarding the critical mass: The only reason why there are no users left is because no update was made for years and everything collapsed. Not even an email was sent to the users explaining this. No email was even sent when the forum was back online. I only found out by accident.

I am not someone who has high demands on a free offer. That would be outrageous. But I decide how and where I invest my time.

#14 2021-10-22 03:33:58

An Unseen Scene

I know we all want more features back, but hey - the forum is here. There's some interest and diversity. At this point, I'll take what I can get. I'd rather be here than in the wild realms of FB. Hopefully we'll get some upgrade but if not... we're still chatting.  I could put pics up at my Pinterest and link to them if I get motivated enough.  Ivy style, a forum, us - it's kind of out of time anyway.  If I can find interesting stuff to post or read it here, I'm happy. Anything else is just 'gravy' as people used to say.

#15 2021-10-22 03:40:34

Staxfan

I'd second that... ( for what it's worth),

#16 2021-10-22 09:05:45

Yuca

I'm sympathetic to both perspectives. I can't resist enjoying what we have - after all we are able to chat here. I imagine FNB has lots of demands on his time, and maybe he would have to pay to upgrade the forum.

On the other hand, an upgrade would make such a massive difference, specifically: the ability to quote previous posts, to post images, to post links and to read the forum on a phone. Without those features I can understand why someone might feel like it's not worth investing their time in interacting here.

Of course, with improvements come more problems: as the forum grows more people will post inappropriate content and there will be issues to resolve. Hopefully more of the moderators will reappear so Woof is not left to solve it all solo and/or new moderators will be appointed. Also it's quite possible that with an upgrade there won't actually be any new posters. I doubt that though. Forums in general are not as popular as they were but there is still a demand for them, and certainly no ivy forum has appeared to replace this one. (Perhaps replacements for The Wardrobe exist.) Hence we are having this very conversation.

So please Mr FNB: if you can find the time and funds to upgrade the forum soon, you'll make a few harmless oddballs around the world happy.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#17 2021-10-22 09:11:16

Yuca

One advantage of an upgrade will be that we'll be able to moan about how it was better here before the upgrade.

#18 2021-10-22 11:45:07

doghouse

A forum where you can't quote makes dialogue almost impossible.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#19 2021-10-22 12:24:00

Yuca

#20 2021-10-22 22:31:14

RobbieB

#21 2021-10-23 01:34:07

A Fine Sadness

I hope the current posters will stick with it.  I sense no great unhappiness here, only a wish for it to be slightly different or at least for the former functions to be restored.

#22 2021-10-23 06:15:57

A Fine Sadness

Skipper - and anyone else thinking of quitting:

'You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies'.

A quip.

#23 2021-10-26 02:49:56

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Good Morning Talk Ivy Denizens

FNB has been in touch to say that he is checking up on the new forum platform, which should be ready shortly.

Just one thing mentioned above by Yuca- the question of funding. Given the hours I have spent on here and the fun I’ve had, I for one would be happy to put in a few quid towards the project if FNB was open to that. 

I have no concept of the cost of funding a forum like this, so I may be talking through my backside. But if I was out with friends I wouldn’t think anything of spending £20+ on a round of drinks.

This is just an idea, I haven’t had any comms with him on the subject - any thoughts?

John Simons

#24 2021-10-26 02:58:48

A Fine Sadness

Good news, Woof, but I hope it's not too 'different'.  I'd hate to see anything along the lines of 'DressedWell'.  I'd also hate it to be some kind of informal extension of IG,  TRS made a good point about typing things out, the discipline of debate (or even disagreement).

#25 2021-10-26 03:09:44

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

That’s a good point AFS and I have no idea what the intended format, but naturally there will be differences. I don’t mind a few pictures - just not all pictures.

See my edit above about funds.

John Simons

Board footer