You are not logged in.

#26 2021-10-26 03:17:50

A Fine Sadness

Re: What's going on here?

'DW' have, I think, gone in for a bit of fund-raising.  I wouldn't object to paying an annual subscription fee.

#27 2021-10-26 08:58:30

Yuca

'I hope it's not too 'different'.  I'd hate to see anything along the lines of 'DressedWell'.  I'd also hate it to be some kind of informal extension of IG,  TRS made a good point about typing things out, the discipline of debate (or even disagreement).'

It will be a forum (that actually functions). You can post images, links and text. The content depends on whoever posts.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#28 2021-10-26 09:18:19

A Fine Sadness

It would be nice to see a few pretty pictures, I agree, so long as it's not a circle of chaps admiring one another's shoes, socks, hems, cuffs, ankle bones or what-have-you.  Some snaps of TRS, smiling shyly into the camera would be a nice accompaniment to my honey nut cornflakes and Vitamin D supplement.

#29 2021-10-26 10:04:37

doghouse

Dressed Well has always been user funded.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#30 2021-10-26 10:10:51

A Fine Sadness

No offence, but it looks far too pleased with itself.  Shimmering, glowing, dancing before the eyes.  'Talk Ivy', in stark contrast, is very restful.  Especially around tea-time when most of its elderly members are having Marmite on toast and perhaps a mug of Ovaltine before putting the cat out.

#31 2021-10-26 10:44:20

doghouse

I guess at some point you probably should tell FNB that you took it upon yourself to rename his forum Talk Ivy.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#32 2021-10-26 10:48:08

A Fine Sadness

I should grow yourself a sense of humour.

#33 2021-10-26 17:25:06

Yuca

'No offence, but it looks far too pleased with itself.  Shimmering, glowing, dancing before the eyes.'

It just looks like a forum to me. People converse and share images and links. The fact is, although most people on DW are into smart and quite traditional clothes, they're not ivy fanatics, so it makes far more sense for them to be based there rather than here. I can't see the need to disparage their home.

Last edited by Yuca (2021-10-26 17:26:02)

#34 2021-10-27 04:08:20

A Fine Sadness

^ Fine. 
No reason to begin another thread but, going back over the past ten years or so, I remain amazed at the knowledge and dedication on here.

#35 2021-10-27 04:36:29

An Unseen Scene

This group is the cosy chat down the pub, bigger groups are a combination of conference and nightclub.  I like the pub.

#36 2021-10-27 05:12:08

A Fine Sadness

^ Word.

#37 2021-10-27 08:26:40

Skipper

This is promising news.

I also like that this is the forums cozy pub. Unfortunately the pub was closed one day and the owner did not put a note in the window to inform the guests of the reasons.

At some point they looked for other pubs and are still there because they don't know that their favorite pub is open again.

;-)

#38 2021-10-27 08:44:48

An Unseen Scene

Actually, it's more like an endless lock in...

Oh the days of lock ins.

#39 2021-10-27 09:17:35

Yuca

I try to avoid pubs and nightclubs. For me this place is a cafe, owned by some Italians who came over to the UK many years ago.

#40 2021-10-27 09:18:40

Yuca

Maybe with a jukebox in the corner that has some very good selections available.

#41 2021-10-27 09:19:32

An Unseen Scene

The pub  vs conference/nightclub thing  just worked for conversation.  What's the rowdy, large version of a cafe?  Perhaps ironically..... The Ivy.  Ho ho.

#42 2021-10-27 10:46:14

RobbieB

I like the pub analogy. I go to a pub where people come and go, where there are a smaller group of regulars, sometimes someone dies. There was a refurbishment recently and people discovered other places. Not everyone came back. Occasionally there is a minor verbal skirmish. A person might just pop in to say hello then leave. People move on and maybe go to a 'Spoons, decide it's not for them and return to the fold. On a Saturday night security is employed to keep people in check. The conversation ebbs and flows. This place can be like that.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#43 2021-10-27 13:24:29

Patrick

Half the time when I post something (not a quote) it doesn't show up. I thought it might have been the VPN I use but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Worked this time though

Last edited by Patrick (2021-10-27 13:25:27)

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#44 2021-10-28 07:57:24

Sammy Ambrose

Doghouse wrote:

'I guess at some point you probably should tell FNB that you took it upon yourself to rename his forum Talk Ivy.'

Yes, that's how it certainly looks.

There's nothing wrong with the current posters trying their best to revitalise Talk Ivy. The problem is that to the rest of the menswear fora  world, Talk Ivy is the only thing they see when they click on FNB. And then when they click on posts... oh dear.

FNB was once referred to as 'the advanced forum '. Now DW at times edges towards that, but FNB still deserves a chance of emerging from the ashes created by the likes of Berk Breath and others who drove away the interesting posters. That is not going to happen if Talk Ivy doesn't actually represent that look with a bit more style.

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#45 2021-10-28 08:30:25

Yuca

BB and others rescued this place. If it appeals to people who aren't ivy fanatics then great, but that's certainly not the priority.

#46 2021-10-28 09:08:18

Sammy Ambrose

Yuca wrote:

'BB and others rescued this place. If it appeals to people who aren't ivy fanatics then great, but that's certainly not the priority.'

Well that suggests two things, Yuca. Firstly, that you were late to the game;  and secondly that you differ hugely in terms of interests and temperament from those who migrated from the other sites to FNB and then developed it. Having read a few of your posts, I suspect the first reason is the one that is behind your thinking. Ultimately, FNB was a refuge for those such as Mr.FNB himself, Shooey and others who were not prepared to deal with 'nomarks'.  Given that, it was disheartening for such escapees to see the nobody nonothings reappear in the guise of Berk Breath and others of that ilk.

And as Doghouse has pointed out, 'this place ' is FNB and not Talk Ivy. This is a distinction that you seem to have missed.

Last edited by Sammy Ambrose (2021-10-28 09:11:09)

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#47 2021-10-28 09:22:54

Yuca

FFS. I've been on here over a decade now. If that's not long enough to understand the purpose of the forum then maybe your understanding of the purpose is skewed. In fact, I think a cursory glance at this forum is enough to see its purpose. It's called Talk Ivy - it's for discussing ivy clothing and related topics. If people who aren't particularly into ivy find that boring, it doesn't mean people like me are misunderstanding the purpose of the forum, it means people who aren't particularly into ivy should stick to The Wardrobe and/or other forums.

You might miss all the BS that nearly killed this forum but I'm pretty sure most of us don't. You might not like BB's style but to any ivy fan it's what we like. If there are other posters you do like then stick around and enjoy parts of it. But please don't complain that Talk Ivy is based around ivy - we're about the only supposedly ivy place online that is actually ivy-based.

#48 2021-10-28 09:26:30

Yuca

If The Wardrobe didn't exist maybe you'd have a point.

#49 2021-10-28 09:27:44

Yuca

But it does. Also there are a lot of posters on here who don't post selfies. If they did I think you'd find they wear similar stuff to what BB used to post.

#50 2021-10-28 09:43:19

Sammy Ambrose

You are missing the point Yuca.

The forum is not Talk Ivy: it is Film Noir Buff. The  Ivy sub-forum came later.  The fact that you have just shown that you are not aware of that proves that you are indeed late to the game and thus can't grasp how much of an anathema Berkhead Breath was and is to the guys who started this forum. Once again - and hopefully finally - 'this forum' is Film Noir Buff.

As regards the sad state that the FNB sub-forum fell into, that's another story.

Board footer