You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-09 11:09:45

A Fine Sadness

New In At Chiltern Street...

Some rather nice cashmere scarves; thus continuing a Russell Street tradition.  Jeff G once got rather snippy with me when I inquired about them during - possibly a heatwave, certainly during July or August of whichever year it was - the only time he wasn't sweetness and light. 
Not heard of the maker before.  My one and only cashmere scarf is a relatively modern Brooks offering. 
A nice buy as the evenings grow darker.
These new flannel shirts are doubtless on their way.

#2 2021-11-09 16:43:22

Tworussellstreet

Re: New In At Chiltern Street...

In there today. Would be very easy to spend a grand on bits and pieces. I got the Paraboot Michel and a few other things. Loveliness abounds. My only criticism would be they seem to get small runs of things made up, and thus run out of sizes very quickly. There was a very stylish older couple in there today, in their 60s, well put together, live in Oxford, knew the Covent Garden shop, clearly under the spell of the whole JS formula. He wanted to replace the Paraboots he'd had in the early 80s, from 2 Russell Street, but JS had no stock.  Paul says that John does pop in now and again, no set day, no set pattern. It's all Paul's baby now.

#3 2021-11-10 02:51:21

A Fine Sadness

Oh, easily.  No-one I've spoken to about it would go within a mile of the place.  My son-in-law lost the power of speech for a few minutes when I mentioned the prices.  I wouldn't like to think how much I ended up spending at Russell Street.  I only know I ran into debt. 
What happened to the Aertex collaboration?  I bought something then didn't much care for it.  Also the JS seersucker cap, which I used to wear when trotting round NGS gardens with my wife pre-illness.  Hats simply make me look like a pervert.  I need no additional assistance. 
Wouldn't mind some JS chinos, though.  No longer in my size and Paul seemed vague as to when - or whether - they would reappear. 
But wasn't it always a bit like that?  Thus the eventual rarity value.  The guys at Zebra (Chesterfield) told me there'd once been a real problem bringing in Paraboot.

#4 2021-11-10 03:52:01

A Fine Sadness

Just taking a look at the flannel - and some other - shirts.  Impressed - nice prices, too, more than reasonable.  With my sixty-second birthday looming, not to mention Christmas, I might well be tempted by the Clifford.  I might even try reworking our Gibson's long-ago 'Woody' look, with the tweed jacket.  Only trouble is, I went through a few dozen examples just a few weeks ago - all the wrong sizes, or darted, or the wrong sizes and darted - nothing in any way appealing.  I mean, you can buy a tweed jacket for next to nothing on Ebay (USA-made, too) but nothing you'd want to wear.  Mostly Harris.  There was a fucking great box of them in Hockley, including something from the Brooks Boys Department.  Still worth thinking about, that Manhattan look - although I might consider crossing over to 'Play It Again, Sam' territory and simply wear the shirt with rumpled chinos and sand Astorflex.

#5 2021-11-20 01:22:33

A Fine Sadness

Lambswool scarves.  Very nice, too.  I buy them wherever I see them.  Some go into a drawer for my use exclusively, others are draped over pegs at the foot of the stairs and are common property.  Those at Chiltern Street are by Amanda Christensen and reasonably priced.  My own personal favourite remains an Irish-made J.Press - my first purchase from them and the only item I could afford from the catalogue at the time.  I still remember removing it from its box and eyeing it with instant devotion.

#6 2021-11-20 12:01:30

AlveySinger

Just back from a quick visit to London.Very busy and the crowds put me off.I underestimated the Christmas shoppers.
I had a few ideas of what I wanted from Chiltern Street but business must be good as they had sold out of both the cord popover and the BD chambray in my size.

Still so many interesting items there I knew I wouldn’t leave empty handed.The one thing I’ve noticed about John Simons recently is that things tend to not hang around.You need to be decisive or end up disappointed.Service is superb as usual and where else do you hear Stolen Moments.

Personally I enjoy the Chiltern area more and more.Monocle cafe and Rubin’s around the corner on Baker Street provide the necessary refreshments and the newsagent carries some great titles.It’s just a really conducive place to shop.

The other stores I visited were Ralph on Bond Street and the ever reliable Hatchards in Piccadilly.
The Ralph store is currently going through a bit of an identity crisis.The massive queue out the door is for coffee.Nobody looks like they’re there for the clothes.So it can’t be a loss leader.

When you do barge through the moca-frappa-single shot-soya-extra whip crowd you can hear the sounds of festive jazz, encounter some great merchandising  and a few snippets of clothes that would appeal to many on here.

#7 2021-11-20 12:21:48

A Fine Sadness

What did you end up buying?  We're agog.

#8 2021-11-23 08:13:07

A Fine Sadness

Quite a few things appear to be OOS (at least in my size) including the varsity jackets.  And shoes?  Seems a pity, especially if one has made a special, sometimes lengthy journey, probably by train or coach.

#9 2021-11-23 10:37:15

Tworussellstreet

They have no stock! They sell out in a fortnight. Don't know what's going on there.

#10 2021-11-24 16:48:42

AlveySinger

Every time I go in I rarely see any customers in what I would describe as Ivy or broader Americana.
There is the occasional mod though.
I think a lot of customers must simply see something that tickles their fancy and that’s sufficiently different from what’s available elsewhere. The scope of the merchandise covers such a good variety I think you would be hard pushed not to find something you liked.
Good for the shop to cast a wide net but if you, like me and I guess the majority of guys on here, are focused on a specific look it makes it pretty frustrating.

#11 2021-11-26 13:20:32

Staxfan

I made a visit today, picked up the astorflex leather boots, ( almost Ivy), pleasantly surprised with  the cloth & fit of the flannel shirts, so bought one, had a result with a one-off pair of frogmouth cords, not everyone’s taste but I like f/m strides, good price, in the window they had a new cord suit, different to the current crop, frogmouth strides, Tom said there were more of this suit to come, softer cotton cord, so a good day out despite the Piccadilly line drivers being on strike... grrrr ,hehe

#12 2021-11-26 13:45:29

AlveySinger

Staxfan,
Last year I purchased a micro cord suit from them.Not frog mouth pockets.
Nice style. I wish it had a bit more structure though.Half lined trousers  and buggy lined would be ideal

#13 2021-11-27 01:29:53

Staxfan

And I tried on one of the JS overcoats, it was a very good fit, felt comfortable, the medium finished just above my knee so to me an ideal length,  but I don’t think I can justify spending a large chunk of change for something that I’d wear maybe 2-3 times a year, I also looked at their Harris tweed jackets, again they looked good, nothing in my size so couldn’t say how they looked & felt on,

#14 2021-11-27 01:53:49

A Fine Sadness

I do hanker after one of those overcoats.  But I would have to have an awful lot of wear out of it - and probably wouldn't.  You know, when we're nothing but ashes under the rose bushes, all these lovely things will end up binned or at Help The Aged.  I saw some Paul Stuart cords, an Andover Shop shirt and a so-called 'Bleeding Madras' shirt leave the house on Wednesday, destination unknown.  Reminded me of the holocaust of 2013, when my wife insisted (after a lengthy separation) that I part with something like seventy per cent of my wardrobe.

#15 2021-11-27 03:24:58

Staxfan

In the unlikely event one in my size popped up on  ebay I'd be straight in there, maybe Woof has a spare one amongst his many coats, Woof remember you're in need of moving something out in the coat department after your recent overcoat purchase , just saying..... haha

#16 2021-11-27 03:55:14

Staxfan

The photo on the JS fb page today shows the suit I mentioned, I only looked at the trousers really ( I was in a trouser buying mode), didn't notice the jacket was darted, probably not for most of us on here but nevertheless a fine looking suit,

#17 2021-11-27 03:56:51

RobbieB

I'm about Woofs size and my ears pricked up when he said he was going to start a one in one out policy. Come on Woof you need to downsize. Haha

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#18 2021-11-27 11:42:06

Staxfan

Another thing Tom told me yesterday was they’re getting in some of their Ivy Shirts in green, thought this might be right up your strada Robbie as you’re in a green mode at present hehe, I’m also about Woof’s size but I bags 1st dibs as I live closer to Staines than you Rob ....

#19 2021-11-27 15:24:07

RobbieB

Yes mate first dibs to you. If JS are getting in more green shirts I might be interested but the Harris Tweed jacket is top of the list. Luckily for my bank balance I'm too lazy to visit London anytime soon.

#20 2021-11-28 01:34:37

Staxfan

These days I have to psyche myself up for a trip into town , didn’t help on Friday that I was unaware of the strike on the piccadilly line, I parked the car at Hounslow West, went into the station and no trains, back to the car thought about just going back home but checked what lines were out and decided to drive 20 mins to Eastcote to get on the metropolitan line,TBH it was better, just 30 mins direct to Baker St,probably use this route in future, Robbie - go spend your dosh , you can’t take it with you as my Mrs keeps reminding me, ( especially when it comes to spending on the home! )

#21 2021-11-28 02:08:43

A Fine Sadness

I wish my wife would say that kind of thing, Stax.  She's pretty tolerant of my spending habits but my purchases tend to be on the low side.

#22 2021-11-29 15:40:20

AlveySinger

Robbie,
The Harris tweed is something special. The material is more substantial than their earlier tweeds. Highly recommended

#23 2021-11-29 23:33:24

RobbieB

I'm going to have to make that trip if the jacket is that good. I regret missing out on the ones that H &J did. One problem is that the missus   (who used to come with me to shop at JS on the '90s and is an ivy fan) is back with me and spent yesterday going through my wardrobe discovering all the stuff I have bought in her absence.

#24 2021-11-30 01:37:10

Runninggeez

Just seen on the JS Fb page coming soon another collaboration with Weller, Fairisle Yoke Sweaters.

#25 2021-11-30 01:54:16

A Fine Sadness

Oh Lord.

Board footer