You are not logged in.

#101 2021-12-14 00:58:03

A Fine Sadness

Re: New In At Chiltern Street...

Actually, some of you are beginning to remind me of some of my old Sixth Formers, who seemed to imagine the half dozen or so computers they had dotted around the house might have been knocked up in a wooden shack in Albania.

#102 2021-12-14 03:16:21

A Fine Sadness

Mind you, I agree wholeheartedly about the nature of the Internet.  Trying to make a 101 call earlier I could have prepared a four-course lunch whilst listening to the waffle about Twitter etc.  The Old Bill around here do not exactly radiate reassurance to their public.  Be amazed if they ticket the guy for blocking the pavement.

#103 2021-12-14 03:16:38

Yuca

'The answer, of course, is to abolish the electorate of each country that has what is often called democracy and create a new one.  Out of thin air if necessary.  Meanwhile, try persuading the consumer that that new ipad/flat screen TV/new car/whatever isn't really necessary to their well-being.  Try interfering in existing markets i.e. the distribution of goodies and see what the consequences turn out to be.  Of course, we could always run car boots, Soviet-style, trading home-distilled vodka for Pink Floyd records.'

You really think the government doesn't interfere in existing markets? The bank bailouts are only an extreme example.

As for electorates and democracy: much of the rest of Europe has rejected neoliberalism and replaced it with social democracy. One of the reasons why much of the rest of Europe is superior to the UK in many respects. Many of those countries have PR though, which is far more democratic than the UK system, where so many people detest the Tories and vote against them, yet they always end up in power. As for the US: it's highly debatable whether it is actually a democracy any more. I say no.

Your final sentence suggests or implies that the only alternative to neoliberalism is Eastern Bloc communism. FFS.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#104 2021-12-14 03:20:55

A Fine Sadness

Sometimes a dark sense of humour is required.

#105 2021-12-14 03:23:28

A Fine Sadness

Or any sense of humour.

#106 2021-12-14 04:42:59

Yuca

You mean your political beliefs are all a wind up? That would explain a lot.

#107 2021-12-14 06:35:26

colin
Bright Light

Wasn't expecting this turn in the thread (but will try to loop it back round to ivy at the end). If ever there was a need for the quote function to work! Before we get reprimanded for talking politics...

Neoliberalism (or neoliberalisation) is indeed a slippery term. And you're right, neoliberalism seems to be everywhere these days, so does it lose it's meaning? I would say, no, it is a highly valuable, if ambiguous, term that is helpful to make sense of an uncertain, crisis-ridden world we're living in (and how these crises are responded to), even if neoliberalism may be seen to take hold differently, in different times and places. Geography and history matters to all this.

It's useful to think about neoliberalism across different registers:

*Neoliberalism as a class project*: Characterised clearly by the massive redistribution of wealth upwards from labour to capital over recent decades, anti-trade unions (through laws and often backed up by police violence), the growing influence of global finance capital (rather than productive sectors, i.e. making stuff). This is clearly apparent in the growing social and spatial inequalities across UK and US. Although the narrative is 'free markets', usually comes backed by heavy state intervention, domestically or elsewhere, rolling back welfare states to something a lot more punitive. Chile in the 1970s would be an obvious example, as well as in the UK and US.

*Neoliberalism as ideology*: How ideas are mobilised as 'common sense' to frame how we understand an uncertain world. A good example of this would be, following massive bailout of the banks following the global financial crisis, that this was framed as a public debt crisis whereby there is a need to 'pay down the deficit', used to legitimise huge cuts to local government budgets, in particular (with clear impacts on more vulnerable social groups). This was of course only one response to the crisis - but it was framed very much as 'There is no alternative' (Thatcherism very influential working on 'common sense'). Heavy influence of Chicago school who were peddling these ideas in the 1960s, and still with lots of think-tanks etc today.

*Neoliberalism as governing ourselves*: How we might imagine, police and work on ourselves in particular ways, for instance, how we might see ourselves as 'entrepreneurs' or 'small business owners' rather than 'workers' or how we might see ourselves as responsible for our own success/failure in life, rather than wider social and political forces (e.g. the instabilities of capitalist economies, structural racism etc) or even how we might monitor our own productivity through iphones and apps and what not.

This obviously plays out differently, and is pushed back against and reworked in lots of different ways in different cities and regions as well as countries. The City of London, for instance, has been particularly influential in shaping places around the world in terms of the prevailing forms of globalisation, the influences of finance and debt etc - which in term has created all kinds of divisions within London and beyond (e.g. in relation to housing).

There is a growing tendency of liberals (read Observer writers) who deny the existence of neoliberalism, usually because like to think of themselves of being nice and left wing, despite holding quite obviously right-leaning views and don't like being called out on their hypocrisy (and tend to see themselves as somehow outside ideology).

Looping it back to Ivy: well, in the 'heyday', mass produced ivy league clothes were often (not always) union-made, and their lasting quality was a selling point whereas now the pressure is on ever more rapid consumption, buy more, more quickly, often on credit. Those US companies have struggled to remain viable, usually moving production overseas where labour is generally much cheaper. They then tend to get asset stripped over time, and taken over so that all that lasts is their name. I'm sure more could be said there, but I'm getting very boring now I'm sure!

#108 2021-12-14 06:49:28

RobbieB

There is a growing tendency of liberals (read Observer writers) who deny the existence of neoliberalism, usually because like to think of themselves of being nice and left wing, despite holding quite obviously right-leaning views and don't like being called out on their hypocrisy (and tend to see themselves as somehow outside ideology).

It's this that I find the most disturbing.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#109 2021-12-14 06:51:49

RobbieB

And Colin you were just moving on to the most interesting aspects with regard to 'our' interests in in Ivy. Not boring at all.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#110 2021-12-14 07:03:10

colin
Bright Light

Maybe one day I'll write something that uses the (rise and decline of the) Brooks Brothers shirt to help make sense of neoliberal capitalism, its cultural and political formations, and worn by its political proponents as well as those resisting such political tendencies! Or maybe not!

#111 2021-12-14 07:12:45

Yuca

A related topic is nostalgia in general and ivy in particular, and how one or both appeal to people of completely different political tendencies.

#112 2021-12-16 05:29:56

A Fine Sadness

Getting right away from neoliberalism, it appears that Paul has stopped stocking Anonymous-Ism, so I've had to on onto Ebay for new pairs.  I wonder if they simply weren't selling at the full price.  They're excellent socks and I don't think (although I may be wrong) that Paul carried the full range.

#113 2021-12-16 05:33:52

AlveySinger

AFS,
Yes, great socks.
I thought Paul only got a random selection as opposed to stocking the full range?
Have they stopped selling them?

#114 2021-12-16 05:45:45

A Fine Sadness

I think you're right.  Nothing now appears on their website (bar Weller).  A pity but those on Ebay are reasonably priced.  I bought four pairs from Paul, two for my wife, two for myself - and began to fancy duplicating hers.  Lovely, aren't they?

#115 2021-12-16 05:46:46

A Fine Sadness

^ Sorry.  The Weller jibe does not mean that the website is not functioning.

#116 2021-12-20 04:08:13

A Fine Sadness

Just in in time for Christmas: Distressed and thrashed, paint-spattered, 1970s model painting and decorating overalls in shiny poly/cotton.  Madras or seersucker trim can be an option.  Natural shoulder, flap and patch pockets, back button, locker loop and gigantic tear between crotch and arse.  You also get a long white wig for the full 'Weller vibe' or stockings and suspenders if feeling like celebrating 'Your Beauty' rather than His Coming.

#117 2021-12-20 04:11:42

A Fine Sadness

More seriously, has anyone seen that poly/dacron 'Museum Piece' Brooks shirt being offered on Ebay?

'Eeeeeeeee...' as they used to say in the EC comics.

#118 2021-12-20 07:39:10

Tworussellstreet

1. You look into the eyes of Weller in that bloody JS fairisle and you just see a chasm, vanity, ignorance, pride looking back at you. I wish the boys on Chiltern were collaborating with non-mod celebrities.
2. Colin's conception of the Brooks Makers shirt operating as a medium through wish to explore socio-political shifts of the last 50 years. Yes, brilliant idea. I can absolutely see how this applies. Would love to read this.

#119 2021-12-20 08:22:23

AlveySinger

The Weller collaboration is about 35 years too late.
The Cafe Blu period has got to be one of the most beautiful dressed periods in pop.
The look Weller wears to the recording of Band Aid - tasseled loafers, college scarf, the tweed polo coat – is possibly the defining look of the early Style Council.
The white raincoat, the red bell sleeved cardigan, the mauve Smedley polo shirt. All things of beauty.
Add to this white Levi's, suede Golden Bear blouson. Now this would be collection worth remortgaging your house for.

https://husbands-paris.com/en/paul-weller/

#120 2021-12-20 09:22:16

Uncle Ian

"You look into the eyes of Weller in that bloody JS fairisle and you just see a chasm, vanity, ignorance, pride looking back at you. I wish the boys on Chiltern were collaborating with non-mod celebrities."
Having met Paul Weller when he was still picking out colours etc. for the Fairisle sweaters I have to disagree here. I found him to be a lovely, unassuming and modest bloke, more interested in my get-up than in talking about his music. As with Kevin Rowland, the public image differs vastly from the reality.

#121 2021-12-20 09:50:38

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I have to agree with Uncle here, when I met PW in JS there was no big ‘I am’ about him and he complimented me on my madras jacket, so immediately struck me as man of great taste and insight.  He could do with a haircut though.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#122 2021-12-20 15:09:37

Staxfan

Sounds like you mix in celeb circles Ian ( you’re only a few years older than me so I can’t call you uncle ), my claim to fame is the footballer Paul Parker bought my house in 1988, in his QPR time, link back to hooped shirts? , and when I’ve heard PW talking music on radio or tv comes across as an OK chap, KR seems an interesting individual,

#123 2021-12-20 15:56:01

AlveySinger

I like the PW/JSA fair isle yoke sweaters but I'm not a fan of crew neck sweaters of any description without seeing a collar underneath.
It probably goes back to childhood and scratchy knitwear.
As with all these things it's a matter of personal taste. I have no axe to grind about PW.

As per my post above I genuinely think that in a decade known for excess, that started off with men in mascara and ended up with men in dayglo, The Style Council remain one of the most visually relevant groups to people of a certain age interested in Ivy/Modernism.

I listed a few of the classic items worn around this time and no doubt many came from Russell Street. I still think most of it would still work today.

#124 2021-12-20 16:08:09

A Fine Sadness

I have it on good authority that the sweaters are well made.  They don't appeal to me in the least.  Nor - ever - did Mr. Weller.  Kevin Rowland, on the other hand, I quite liked around 1980 but not much thereafter.  'Come On, Eileen' was a monumental bore.  I stopped listening to pop music of that era as soon as - with my father's encouragement - I began listening to blues and then jazz. 
As for the look of Style Council, yes, I can see the attraction.  I would simply need ear-plugs.

#125 2022-01-03 03:58:15

Staxfan

Without any inside info I'm guessing the JS sale will start this weekend, anyone got their eye on anything they hope pops up in the sale ?, footwear is usually excluded from the sale,

Board footer