You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-26 08:38:32

Patrick

British insults

I need some assistance in determining which of these insults is worse.

I have them grouped from least to most offensive:

Prat
Wanker
C***

I disguised the last one because in the US calling someone a C*** is suber ultra mega verboten, plus evil and bad.

I'm sure I missed many, but those turn up most often.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#2 2021-11-27 02:04:51

RobbieB

Re: British insults

You have the order correct  Patrick.
I used to use the word Prat in the 60/70s at school when it was a useful mild swear word. I think it's fallen out of use (in my circle anyway) somewhat.
Wanker seems to have largely replaced Prat and can even be used in a friendly sense.
The C word is becoming more widespread, at least in men's company. I notice in American films gangsters can call women C's . In the UK it seems to be between men only. However, I was at a birthday party recently with 21 people sitting around the table. I held the floor and told an anecdote that needed me to use the C word in front of women and children. To my surprise I got the biggest laugh of the evening, even from the women and children. My father would not have approved and I remember him 'having a word' with any man who swore in front of women.
I have noticed that young women think nothing of using the F word but do not use the C word.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#3 2021-11-27 02:28:54

A Fine Sadness

The C word has largely replaced the N word as the big social no-no.  Or is it the other way around?  It - the C word - was Noel Coward's favourite (as in 'you clumsy C), and it features in Chaucer and Shakespeare (in 'Henry V', where Henry's future queen is keen to learn English words for the various parts of the body).  Watching 'The Sopranos' eventually became slightly wearing. 
Elsewhere: nice exchange in Pinter's 'No Man's Land': 'A gentleman farmer?  A weekend wanker'.

#4 2021-11-27 02:30:58

A Fine Sadness

We and the Americans, needless to say, are two nations divided by a common language to this day.  Try a search for certain items of clothing on Ebay and you soon find that out.

#5 2021-11-27 02:39:27

A Fine Sadness

Oh, and an increasing favourite of mine is 'fuckstick'. 

Best remembered, from my brief period in the army (1977), my Sergeant, referring to a Corporal: 'A fucking bionic wazzock'.

#6 2021-11-27 02:42:25

A Fine Sadness

'Prat' is now mild.  Between my best mate and I (we were at school together in the 70s) the friendly term of exchange is 'fat bastard'. 

'Hill Street Blues' has Belker inventing his own verbal abuse.  'Dog drool' is classic.

#7 2021-11-27 07:01:15

Patrick

Thank you

Where does "twat" fit in?

#8 2021-11-27 07:23:48

RobbieB

I would say twat is pretty close to prat

#9 2021-11-27 11:22:57

A Fine Sadness

Twat is stronger.  'Twot' is sometimes substituted.

The Russians do the best cursing, as in one of Solzhenitsyn's books when someone is referred to as 'a bitch's twat', meaning, of course, its vulva.

Doesn't Jack Nicholson in 'Cuckoo's Nest' refer to the nurse as a c***t?

Last edited by A Fine Sadness (2021-11-27 11:29:41)

#10 2021-11-27 15:31:21

RobbieB

Yes when American males call a women a ct I wince. I've probably used the C word several times tonight but not to a lady.

Last edited by RobbieB (2021-11-27 15:32:08)

#11 2021-11-27 17:54:57

Yuca

Twat is, in terms of severity, up there with wanker. Ditto for cock, dick, dickhead and little shit. Fuckface is a good one I haven't heard for many years. Arsehole is of course the UK equivalent off asshole.

I was in the US as a young man and one of the first things I learnt was that it doesn't work to call a male a c***. Whereas in the UK it's mostly directed against males.

Incidentally berk is rhyming slang for the c word yet is generally considered far less offensive (probably because most people don't know its derivation).

some sort of banal legitimacy

#12 2021-11-28 02:15:35

A Fine Sadness

'Fuckface' is good: to be reserved for special occasions as is 'Fuck you and fuck the horse you rode in on'.  Motherfucker does not seem to have caught on in England in spite of every other tosspot telling you they're 'good' and 'can they get' in shops.  In spite of France being merely swimming distance, our impulses when it comes to mangling the spoken word are derived from some hybrid NYC/LA ideal.  Aside, perhaps, from 'Estuary', which has reached the north to some extent and 'gagsta rappa' in which young men in former mining towns say, 'Yeh, later, bro' and other copycat phrases.

#13 2021-11-28 02:35:22

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Pronunciation puts another spin on these things, so if you’re from ‘Landon’ you might call someone a ‘facking cant’.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#14 2021-11-28 04:03:10

RobbieB

Further north one might hear ' yer a fooking coont'

#15 2021-11-28 04:11:01

A Fine Sadness

The Scots have some lovely words of their own such as 'radge' or 'radgie'.  Applies to their 'neds'. 

Back to London, aside from 'fackin' cant' we have 'barstard'. 

North/South divide.  Heard back in 1978 (Manchester): 'They're just a load of norvern barstards'. 

'Northern monkey' is also a nice one.  'Norvern' of course. 

Woof's 'spunkbubble' I remember as an army phrase.

#16 2021-11-28 04:12:16

A Fine Sadness

For some lovely American expressions: the Gunnery Sergeant in 'Full Metal Jacket'.

#17 2021-11-28 04:14:05

A Fine Sadness

Does anyone remember 'Derek And Clive Live' from circa 1975?  'A bloke came up to me the other day...'

#18 2021-11-28 04:15:06

A Fine Sadness

Patrick can't claim he doesn't get full value for money on here.

#19 2021-11-28 06:18:50

Patrick

Hahaha

Here's one in return:

I had a friend, now deceased, would be 70-ish now. Black guy from Baltimore, ex-Marine, dock worker. We became friends in ahem rehab.

AT one point he decided he swore too much, which was a little like the Atlantic concluding it was a little on the salty side.

For "motherfucker" he substituted "mamma-tamma."

There were two variations of mamma-tamma. The first, mammy-tammy, was a term of endearment (or at least bemusement). Example: "You won the lottery? You lucky mammy-tammy."

Mumma-tumma was bad. Very bad. He dropped his voice when he used it. Example: "This mumma-tumma smuggled in some drugs and three kids overdosed."

#20 2021-11-28 06:54:46

A Fine Sadness

^ Love it.  Reading eating my chicken sandwich, contemplating drinking the bottled water I'm now on since finding a pair of USA-imported khakis barely fitted.  Coffee will follow (with a little sugar, my friends, with a little sugar). 
Reading all this reminded me of when I had to teach English to some Chinese kids.  We began with Bill Bryson, who I soon pigeonholed as a 'prize asshole'.  Paul Theroux I liked better, although he seemed as puzzled by the Brits as Bryson. 
Ex-Marines must - just must - have wallowed in 'Full Metal Jacket', the first half of which is about all the Kubrick I can stand bar 'The Killing'.  'A disgusting fat body'.  Me, looking in the mirror recently...

#21 2021-11-28 12:16:37

A Fine Sadness

I guess the worse term of abuse from around 1974 was 'mong' - even 'spaz'.  Someone's father would drive one of those cars: a 'spaz chariot'.  Someone - very colourful, this - would be 'a mongolling snot-gobbler'.  Well, we were only thirteen or fourteen and dull as brushes. 
The more common Brit term of abuse now is 'prick'.  I think Americans use this, too. 
Does it all demonstrate poverty of language/imagination?  Perhaps.  But there are people who will happily pay to hear a stand-up like Chubby Brown do his stuff whilst objecting to someone mouthing off in a pub. 
Funny old world.

#22 2021-11-29 02:28:40

A Fine Sadness

I wonder if Patrick and our other American friends have come across much cockney slang.

Jones the butcher in 'Dad's Army' slicing up 'a nice bit of Veronica Lake'.  Harold Steptoe telling the shrink, 'I've had more grumble than you've had hot dinners'.

Yuca touched upon it with 'berk'.  No-one turns a hair.

Not quite the same but the origin of 'crumpet' is what lies between the female thighs.

#23 2021-11-29 16:00:43

A Fine Sadness

A favourite phrase of mine, seldom heard.

Tony Soprano to Dr. Melfi - 'Well, I'll be dipped in shit'.

#24 2021-11-30 07:40:04

A Fine Sadness

Another that Patrick might care to mull over is the use of 'bell-end'.  So, my daughter to her greedy Siamese: 'Get away from my bell-ending pizza'.

This is turning into Urban Dictionary.

#25 2021-11-30 08:09:02

RobbieB

We didn't use the term crumpet in my circle but sometimes said Billy Bunt as in 'the club was full of Billy Bunt' (plenty of girls)
We called each other 'tarts' and upon meeting up greeted each other with 'alright girls?' I don't know why and it might have been local.

Board footer