You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-02 05:11:46

A Fine Sadness

Just To Clear Up Any Misunderstanding...

I spent an hour with Mr. Irving at his Mayfair apartment in the summer of 1991.  I was a second year student and one of the first to take the Special Subject course on 'Shoah' under (now rtd.) Professor Colin Richmond, a noted scholar of anti-semitism in both the Middle Ages and the 19th and 20th centuries.  I wrote two dissertations for my final year, the first on so-called 'revisionism', the second on Ezra Pound's conversations with Ginsburg (who I think kind of forgave him).  Any informed Jew will know what I'm talking about here.  Irving had a desk that would not have disgraced Mussolini, talked balls for a full hour and gave me a cup of tea into the bargain.
Next morning, a member of staff at the Imperial War Museum threw me out.  My crime was to have talked to Irving.
The shop at the museum was openly selling his books.
Funny old world.

#2 2021-12-02 12:39:10

A Fine Sadness

Re: Just To Clear Up Any Misunderstanding...

I assume Yuca can't be bothered to wander this far.

#3 2021-12-02 12:46:37

Yuca

Super.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#4 2021-12-02 12:50:36

A Fine Sadness

Still only got an Upper Second With Honours.

#5 2021-12-02 12:55:27

Yuca

I got a third. There may be an inverse relationship between grade and intelligence.

#6 2021-12-03 04:55:12

A Fine Sadness

Sure.  A friend of mine took a Double First at Cambridge.  Completely thick.

#7 2021-12-03 18:07:04

Yuca

I want to agree but at the same time I really want to study again and this time do very well. The chances of ever having the opportunity to do so are almost zero, but if it does happen and I do well it will defeat my inverse relationship theory.

#8 2021-12-04 02:52:53

A Fine Sadness

To become bilingual is no mean achievement.

#9 2021-12-06 06:56:32

A Fine Sadness

I had to spend some time at the Wiener Library.

You couldn't just walk in there.  You had to have an appointment and a letter of introduction.

Mine read, 'To the best of my knowledge, this person is not a Nazi'.

To the best of my knowledge! 

Thanks a bunch.

#10 2022-09-23 21:40:24

Dulouz

''To become bilingual is no mean achievement'' all of my progeny are at least fluently trilingual. Sadly, I'm just a duffer.

My theory is that Brits are in general useless at foreign languages as that part of the brain is dormant due to the English language having the most simple of rules. No complex grammar or differences between masculine and feminine, instead the English language focuses on lots of vocabulary.

''...I really want to study again and this time do very well'' There was a time I felt the same way, but my destiny was to be a recalcitrant student and I don't have a desire to write essays, take exams and a thesis anymore. At least in the academic world.

Board footer