You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-11 11:06:32

A Fine Sadness

The Cyclist Persecution Thread

Miserable.  The boiler decided to pack up and it was dull to begin with then began pissing it down.  Layered up in a Gant Madras, Bean Shetland cardigan, heavy Shetland v-neck.  Wranglers and Jack Purcell.  Rather mistreated Sebago jacket over the top. 
Drove along country lanes in thick mist looking for cyclists to abuse.

#2 2021-12-11 15:30:08

Madras_Seersucker

Re: The Cyclist Persecution Thread

AFS said- "Drove along country lanes in thick mist looking for cyclists to abuse."

A fine hobby indeedy sir!

#3 2021-12-11 15:31:13

Runninggeez

Shame you weren't in Surrey I'm sure you could've taken your anger out on me as I was out this lunchtime, but then it's usually me abusing car drivers overtaking you on bends and driving to bloody close.

#4 2021-12-11 15:43:04

A Fine Sadness

Only a joke.  We are extraordinarily careful around cyclists and anyone on horseback, believe me.

#5 2021-12-11 15:44:35

A Fine Sadness

P.S. I'm only a passenger.

#6 2021-12-12 02:24:14

A Fine Sadness

Will be on the prowl again today, when any cyclist with a beard will be especially vulnerable.

We'll be on foot this time.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

#7 2021-12-12 09:52:13

A Fine Sadness

No cyclists but we found a young girl on horseback and wrestled her into the mud.

#8 2021-12-12 13:06:51

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

A thread for all those motorists who can’t bear to be held up for a second or two.

Cycling is good , cycling is Ivy.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#9 2021-12-12 13:23:10

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I used to cycle on country roads a lot when I lived near the country. Now I find it terrifying due to increased traffic volumes and modern vehicles that can be driven at high speeds without any accompanying skill or road sense. I feel far safer cycling in Central London where car and van drivers homicidal impulses are generally curtailed by traffic mitigation features, cameras and congestion.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#10 2021-12-12 15:20:32

A Fine Sadness

Life sure has changed a lot since you first mounted that penny farthing, Woof.  Since then we've had votes for women (huge mistake), Charlie Chaplin movies, box brownies and Bri-Nylon.  Get with it, man!

#11 2021-12-12 23:38:33

RobbieB

I used to ride on country roads with a road bike but moved on to mountain bikes, cycling off road when it started to become dangerous on the roads. In the summer I refurbished two Marin 1990s bikes and now avoid any roads with cars. I had more problems with motorists when I was running. It wasn't unusual to get abused, or have things thrown at me from car windows. The people doing this tended to be obese and would not dare to approach me face to face. I used to run in races on Sunday mornings and motorists would go mad if held up for a few minutes when roads were blocked off for running competitions.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#12 2021-12-13 01:24:48

Runninggeez

Got abused many years ago by two spotty youths in Citroen Saxo when out running. The problem was they obviously didn't realise there were roadworks a 1/4 of a mile ahead. I caught them up and started banging on the car offering them out, the one who shouted all the abuse couldn't even look at me. I ended up putting a dent in the roof by thumping it. I then realised  how stupid I was as they could've had some sort of weapon in the car whether it be a baseball bat or knife. I've never retaliated since.

#13 2021-12-13 01:50:17

West Indian Limes

@Runninggeez. Italy also seems so positively different when it comes to tensions between cars and cyclists. Friendly
greetings, but no insults. At least that was my experience at a racing bike training camp in Cesenatico.
And if you ride an italian frame, then it is ... Tutto il rosa della vita.

#14 2021-12-13 02:16:52

A Fine Sadness

Runninggeez, I've done that myself when my wife has been abused.  They become rather meek - else bluster.  Road rage, stupidity on planes, confrontations in car parks - all part of life in modern England.  But forty-plus years ago it was worse. 
I have to exercise extreme caution as I'm of a highly uncertain temperament.  That's why I don't own a mobile 'phone.  I would end up smashing it against some hard surface.

#15 2021-12-13 02:40:45

RobbieB

I also tend to 'fly off the handle' very quickly and in recent years I've had to rein myself in because I can no longer be sure of not getting a beating.

Last edited by RobbieB (2021-12-13 02:42:05)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#16 2021-12-13 04:00:05

A Fine Sadness

Robbie, I believe it's a hangover from our early teenage years.  We had to be a bit, well, ready for action. 
Odd but true.  I lipped a well-known hard case in the pub.  A hushed silence aside from muttered warnings.  After about fifteen minutes, the guy finished his drink, got up, offered me his hand.  'Good on you, mate.  You stood your ground'.  We would often see each other around and have a chat.  Had it gone the other way, though, they would still be picking up the body parts.

#17 2021-12-13 05:28:50

A Fine Sadness

What about a 'pedestrian persecution' thread?  I have great fun with cyclists riding toward me on the pavement.  A game of chicken ensues.  Then there are the motorists who drive up and down here using the pavement in order to pass something coming the other way.  The English have discovered a lovely game of throwing their arms into the air and showing the palms of their hands.  Much verbal abuse fills the air - all to very little purpose.  But getting behind the wheel makes even quite gentle people like my wife aggressive.  As for parking across her space...

Board footer