You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-22 01:22:02

A Fine Sadness

Nautical Ivy

Just to wrench you away from the dubious subject of work wear being worn by non-working/blue collar men, I propose to reintroduce you - if necessary - to the wonderful world of Nautical Ivy - about which I know nothing, being completely landlocked, other than what I used to study in the old Sebago catalogues.  But the navy blazer has just resurfaced as a subject, together with boat/deck shoes, with or without socks.
My recent viewing of 'Jazz On A Summer's Day' had me trying to set aside my irritation at the interruptions to Monk's set and enjoy instead - or just as much - what was going on on the water. 
I kind of fell in love with Sebago around 2007: the shoes, even a jacket (which is now rather battered but still being worn). 
Cape Cod or Cornwall - the choice is yours.  Get a little sea air in your lungs, those shoes (without socks) on your feet.

#2 2021-12-22 01:49:46

A Fine Sadness

Re: Nautical Ivy

In fact, a hell of a lot of Ivy dressing is rooted in sport of one form or another, right?  I'd guess golf must be at the top of the list.  Staceyboy and I used to have a lot of fun years ago discussing our 'off-duty golfer' look: the Baracuta G9, London Fog G4, Arnold Palmer and Robert Bruce shirts and knitwear, the McGregor Drizzler.  I also once bought a nice McKinnon slipover but it seems to have vanished from my wardrobe.  I did buy a lambswool golf sweater a few weeks ago (Scottish-made navy v-neck) and I'd consider buying that John Simons sample jacket that has been hanging around for weeks on Ebay if it was my size.
What would be next?  Tennis?  The polo shirt is often more of a tennis shirt, isn't it?  Fred Perry?  Lacoste? 
Cycling?  Nicely 'Mod' in some of its more pleasing manifestations.
Then there's the baseball cap.
I don't suppose polo actually enters into the scheme of things very often.
Anything else?

#3 2021-12-22 04:19:07

RobbieB

I remember someone commenting on my 'off-duty golfer' look once. I had a baggy, short sleeved Ralph BD shirt with a crossed clubs badge on the top pocket. I've never seen another one and I wished I still had the shirt. I must have bought it in Canada.
I've been trying to think of the darts player who used to wear BD shirts, in complete contrast to the usual gross (in more than one sense) darts shirts.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#4 2021-12-22 04:48:00

A Fine Sadness

I still like the look.  I've never played golf, don't know a putter from a pizza-slice, have glanced at the odd golf course from the car window.  My next door neighbour plays - presumably after shedding his Matalan tops and rubber sandals.  He still has Guns And Roses as his ringtone and disposes of enough empty bottles in the recycling bin to create a modern skyscraper.  I suppose golf clubs now will have just about anyone as a member.

#5 2021-12-22 05:49:44

Spendthrift

Nautical Ivy. I like it. How could you look at those photos of JFK and Paul Newman on their boats and not want a slice of that? Not particularly Ivy, but Cary Grant in 'To Catch a Thief'. Lovely stuff.

Around this time of year I start craving the untucked polo, light shorts or chinos, boat shoes or CVOs. Bleached out ball cap. Shades and sea air. What's not to like?

I seem to remember Harringtons in Guildford stocking a few bits of Henri Lloyd? OC shirts and polos in nice pastels. I Don't think it was the big logo, proper sailing stuff HL seem to do today. Sat very well with the other gear in there at the time. I've still got a very pale orange OC somewhere.

I'm not particularly proud of it, but even some Crew Clothing stuff hits that spot for me. Certainly ok for knocking around Littlehampton on a sunny day.

Last edited by Spendthrift (2021-12-22 16:07:00)

#6 2021-12-22 07:19:02

A Fine Sadness

It's very, very alluring.  Very seductive. 
An Unseen Scene once mentioned autumn as being the greatest time of year for the Ivyist.  I think late spring is better.  As Spendthrift says, one craves the warmer days for wearing the polo and boat shoes. 
Awful, though, being landlocked in darkest Derbyshire!

#7 2021-12-22 07:44:16

RobbieB

Their is an old saying 'If it flies, floats, or flirts, you should rent it not buy it.'
They say boats are things that float with a hole that you throw money in.
I have to keep telling my brother in law this. He wants me to go 50/50 on buying a boat. We have friends with boats and it's best to wait to be invited on a fishing trip or a day out on the water.
In Leigh on sea the boatyards are full of craft that haven't been on the river for years.
It is very seductive though and my Henri Lloyd stuff that I have been given might be of use some day.

#8 2021-12-22 07:48:40

A Fine Sadness

Reminds me of the old yarn about the American serviceman and the overpriced Soho tart.

'I want to rent it, honey, not buy it'.

#9 2021-12-22 09:48:45

Staxfan

When I was 18 my Dad bought a small cabin cruiser and moored it in Richmond, I thought all my dreams had come true, a floating boudoire to entertain young ladies after the pubs had closed, he bought it on a Sunday, I got home from work on Monday evening and he'd told the guy he got it from he didn't want it as the bottom was rotten, I was distraught,

#10 2021-12-22 09:49:16

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

RobbieB - the two best days of owning a boat … the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

tongue

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#11 2021-12-22 10:53:56

RobbieB

I have a friend who inherited a small wooden criuser. It's a beauty, but needs restoration. So far it's only taken him about 15  years but it's nearly half done. Stax, a cruiser moored in Richmond, 18 years old, wow better than my Mark 2 Cortina as a love nest.

#12 2021-12-22 11:51:03

A Fine Sadness

You Southern boys!  We up north made do with derelict railway carriages, even the inside of a large pipe.  Where there's a will there's a way in.

#13 2021-12-22 11:56:25

RobbieB

The inside of a large pipe! Who said romance was dead. HaHa.

#14 2021-12-22 12:26:58

Jdemy

I’m from Long Island, NY- and lots of people had boats and boat slips right at the end of their streets. This wasn’t the fancy part of the Island—- just regular people.  There’s a saying that instead of buying a boat you might just as well stand in the shower and rip up hundred dollar bills. My family had a Thanksgiving tradition with friends who had a house and boat on the water. That was fun- and enough for me. 

The funny thing is, when boat shoes came into style- all the non-nautical types like me and my siblings wore them. But our family friends - the Thanksgiving people- they never had that stuff.  Maybe an LLBean sweater (that classic navy one with the v-shaped white flecks) an Irish fisherman knit, but their relationship to sailing was real and not “fashion coordinated?? . It was a great piecemeal look.

Nowadays, boat shoes in Manhattan are a giveaway the wearer is a tourist.

#15 2021-12-22 12:47:22

Jdemy

I’m from Long Island, NY- and lots of people had boats and boat slips right at the end of their streets. This wasn’t the fancy part of the Island—- just regular people.  There’s a saying that instead of buying a boat you might just as well stand in the shower and rip up hundred dollar bills. My family had a Thanksgiving tradition with friends who had a house and boat on the water. That was fun- and enough for me. 

The funny thing is, when boat shoes came into style- all the non-nautical types like me and my siblings wore them. But our family friends - the Thanksgiving people- they never had that stuff.  Maybe an LLBean sweater (that classic navy one with the v-shaped white flecks) an Irish fisherman knit, but their relationship to sailing was real and not “fashion coordinated?? . It was a great piecemeal look.

Nowadays, boat shoes in Manhattan are a giveaway the wearer is a tourist.

#16 2021-12-22 12:57:27

A Fine Sadness

Needs must, Robbie!

#17 2021-12-22 13:04:47

A Fine Sadness

On a higher plane of existence than carnality, white boat shoes were sometimes seen at Russell Street: often in a very shabby condition.  Like at least some loafers - Bass, Sebago - they are strictly for a short walk/trip to the supermarket: more or less like slippers.  And they can be a bad look.

#18 2021-12-22 13:22:00

Staxfan

Guys, don’t get the idea the boat was luxurious, I think my Dad paid 600 quid for it, even in 1971 that wasn’t a lot of money for a boat, I think it had always been a dream of his coming from a family of lightermen and the Thames being a huge part of his life, but definitely a step up from a cortina, I had a vauxhall viva van with an eiderdown in the back.... not quite as glamorous as a cortina.. hehe

#19 2021-12-22 13:39:14

Jdemy

I have been looking at nautical sweaters- I mentioned - and like what I see at Sns Herning and especially Andersen-Andersen. They have a crew neck with a wide collar that seems great as well as a turtleneck. I’ve felt the weave and it’s a beast. 6-ply, thick, a purchase that might last a lifetime.

#20 2021-12-22 15:34:39

A Fine Sadness

^ Jdemy, I very much like the sound of those Bean sweaters.

#21 2023-08-24 13:53:32

Jdemy

If anyone is interested in 60's nautical IVY (ish) stuff, search under "spinnaker wool" on eBay and you'll see a very nice example of a wool sailing cover-up.  Good for cool nights, worn with shorts, autumn, etc.

#22 2023-09-27 18:00:21

Jdemy

Wonder what anyone thought of the Spinnaker popovers on eBay?

#23 2023-09-28 04:03:05

Kingston1an

Have a Woolaways submariners jumper
Very warm. Maybe too warm for heated interiors. Not really Ivy.
Proper British kit though.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

Board footer