You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

#1 2022-03-02 06:47:47

Kingston1an

Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

A thread for sites seen and observations. A break from ‘Is this or is this not Ivy?’. Clothing does not need to be mentioned.

I went to the recently rebuilt Carlton Tavern. It was illegally knocked down. Westminster Council eventually forced the developers to reinstate it as was, Brick by Brick. No retrospective changes were entertained. Well done Westminster council. Decent London ales but quiet in the afternoon.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/mar/21/rising-from-the-rubble-london-pub-rebuilt-brick-by-brick-after-bulldozing

Then right out of the pub and straight into the splendid Paddington Recreation Ground. I had not been in here since I was a small child. Wildlife area on one side then an imaginative child’s playground and cafe before a large sports pavilion. This has a blue plaque for Roger Bannister who trained for the four minute mile here. There is another blue plaque for ‘mod’ Bradley Wiggins who learnt to ride a bike here. There is a good running track, tennis courts, a cricket pitch. When I was a child there was a banked cycling track too.

Out of the park, turn left and keep going across Elgin and Sutherland Avenues down Castellain Road until you come to The Prince Alfred, a splendid Victorian pub with wonderful wooden screens between the bars. You can move between bars if you crouch to walk under four foot high openings. Otherwise you have to go outside to move from bar to bar.
https://londonist.com/pubs/pubs/prince-alfred

Beer drinkers may like to know that have tried Ruddles in Spoons, as recommended by Woof and others. I also tried the Greene King IPA. Both are 99p a pint and were good, well-kept session ales. So for the price of one pint in the above mentioned pubs I could have five pints and change in Spoons. Another reason why many pubs are not too busy at lunchtime.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#2 2022-03-02 07:11:43

AFS

Re: Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

I can recommend Mark Girouard on Victorian pub architecture.

#3 2022-03-02 07:25:53

RobbieB

I have been avoiding pubs recently but yesterday I paid a visit to my local (not a Spoons).  I got a bit of a ribbing because some of the regulars had seen me around and I hadn't dropped in to pay my respects. All good natured and getting a round in (£13 for 5 pints including 2 Guinness) helped. The 99p Spoons pint was mentioned but a cousin reckoned it was for a limited time and the offer was over. Less than a mile away in Old Leigh I recently bought a pint of IPA and half lager for nearly £8! London prices for the day trippers. Both pubs are always reasonably busy.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#4 2022-03-02 07:58:27

AFS

Just to get in on the act, I took a trip down memory lane on Saturday and drank Tuborg in my favourite Turkish restaurant - my first taste of beer since last November.  It was my first 'grown-up' drink when I left school in the spring of 1976.  But a very decent lunch for two, including traditional Turkish coffee served with water, was £25.  Move North, young men, move North!

#5 2022-03-02 07:58:40

Staxfan

Robbie- are the prices a ‘senior citizens ‘ rate in your local, haha, if so I’ll be with you! I’ve mentioned on here before that where I live there is a spoons that’s now only open at weekends, 2 weeks ago there was a stabbing outside ( albeit around 2 am), that’ll probably be the last nail in the box for the spoons,

#6 2022-03-02 08:20:04

RobbieB

Stax- same price for everyone in 'the Broadway'. But plenty of seniors.

It so happens that I sit with the oldest drinkers in what's known as 'coffin Dodgers corner'  Every time I return I expect to hear someone has died! If I drink in a Spoons it usually is at lunchtime and I'm gone by 4pm. Even then it can get a bit rowdy.

#7 2022-03-02 08:25:29

RobbieB

AFS- Tuborg Gold was our drink of choice at one time. A couple of mates were carpenters that worked on an overseas project in Copenhagen. They returned with Danish girls and we all thought we were sophisticated drinking a Danish drink. Carlsberg was frowned upon except for Special Brew (I kid you not) !

#8 2022-03-02 09:29:36

Tworussellstreet

Talk Boozers - get yer own bloody website, you layabouts !

#9 2022-03-02 10:05:54

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Having perused my book of great London pubs last week I found myself in the Jerusalem Tavern, Clerkenwell the only pub owned by the St Peters Brewery. Beer afficianados may know that St Peters is a noted independent brewery, I’ve only ever enjoyed their products as bottled beer that occasionally crops up in Sainsburys. As I anticipated, their beer from the wood was even better and the surroundings and the clientele were convivial. I remarked as such to the barman who informed me that it was just as well I had come in as the pub would be closing permanently the following day! But it was crossed off my list

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#10 2022-03-02 10:18:15

Kingston1an

Jerusalem Tavern is very small. So it was not often an option after work.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#11 2022-03-02 13:14:04

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

It’s not an option at all now Kingy. But I did read that it was previously a cafe and only became a pub comparatively recently. So it’s not an authentic old London drinkery ,like most of the places in my beer bible, and therefore maybe not such a loss. Although the beer was excellent.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#12 2022-03-06 04:44:37

Kingston1an

Went for lunch during the week at Simpson’s Tavern, off Cornhill in The City. Not been in there for a few years. I was the first to arrive on a damp day with a Tube strike. The place gradually filled up and we had British food including the stewed cheese dessert - a DIY Welsh rarebit with toast and the cheese in a ramekin on top of it. Very enjoyable. The George and Vulture is very near and that offers a similar menu. I did notice a newish tailor in the alley - McAngus and Wainwright. Very small premises. I was wearing a City suit collar and tie and full length Crombie at the time - because it fitted the surroundings.

Also nearby in the alley was Jamaica Wine House - London’s first coffee house. No Italians on motor scooters there.

We stood outside St.Michaels as the church watchers were about to close up for the day but they kindly invited us in. It was destroyed in the Great Fire and rebuilt but no longer has Sunday services. It has close associations with The Drapers Company. They paid for refurbishment of the place. We were also told about St Peters around the corner which is not closed until 4pm.So we had a look in there. No pews or Sunday service. It is the church of The Tank Regiment with a stained glass window which features them.

Finally had a look inside the Royal Exchange. I had always walked past. Big Fortnum's bar and coffee service with expensive shops around it selling expensive jewellery and Patek Philippe watches with no price displayed.

Then headed home.

#13 2022-03-07 02:21:40

Kingston1an

Ukrainian flags flying around Corinthian Casuals football ground now. Nice gesture but it will not achieve anything. It’s a historic club though. Kingstonian also currently play at the ground. I have always declined invites to attend their matches. Semi-professional football is a no mans land between free amateur football and the lower levels of the football league. AFC Wimbledon in the fourth division is about as low as I would go. The Dons did at least used to have a nice bar where Man of the Match was announced straight after the game.

I was at the Norwich match on Saturday (3pm kick off). There were blue plastic squares on the seats. I eventually discovered they were to represent the Ukrainian flag, with yellow plastic squares down the front of the stand. Gesture politics is an increasingly new feature of matches, along with VAR which disrupts the flow of the games.

#14 2022-03-07 03:09:29

AFS

'Solidarity With' politics: as old as the hills.  I went to school with a kid whose father was Ukrainian (said kid died late last year; last photograph of him had him looking like Genghis Khan, glaring into a pint of lager): he was anti-Russian and anti-Communist before the age of ten.  Smartarse kid at our secondary school would wind him up by calling him 'Bolshevik'.  A Slovakian woman assured me last year there was no actual animosity between Russia and the Ukraine.  All down to the CIA, she told me.  I paid her husband for repairing my wingtips and beat a hasty retreat.

#15 2022-03-07 03:24:31

AFS

I was browsing in one of our local charity shops on Saturday morning, trying to decide whether or not to buy a J.Crew shirt.  The radio was on so we had an announcer pondering just why the Russians are trying to seize key installations (or whatever), followed closely by The Beatles singing 'We Can Work It Out' (if that's what the wretched thing is called). 
It was always a source of amusement to me when teaching Russian History for A-Level that Lenin and his people, after seizing the telephone exchange etc. then had no idea how to run them, so had to bring back the bourgeois experts.  Rather like stealing a car then asking the owner how to drive it away.  I expect the experts died fairly sharpish afterwards. 
If this was the Americans, needless to say, or us, stomping all over some sovereign nation after firing off cruise missiles, we'd have Blair or Campbell, Johnson or Raab all over the media telling us to give three great cheers.

#16 2022-03-07 03:27:07

Staxfan

Kingy - Are You be a Bee like me.....
As an aside - in the local yesterday late afternoon, there was a guy maybe around 50 came in and stood near me at the bar, noticing his get up, he had a pair of white trainers that had a brogue pattern on them, camourflage legwear with elastic bottoms, finished off with a hoodie of some description, on a 15 yr old who doesn't know better but on a fully grown man.....

#17 2022-03-07 03:56:57

Kingston1an

Those country field jackets are very useful. Pockets for hats, gloves, a small umbrella, tickets, documents and an A to Z book. In time-honoured ‘Ask Andy’ fashion I can report that I received a compliment on mine. Neck gaiters are another boon. Saves messing with a little blue mask, just pull it up or down. Also really good in cold weather to keep out drafts around your neck and face. Less bother than a scarf.

#18 2022-03-07 04:10:51

Kingston1an

Staxfan,

I used to pay cash at the turnstile at Griffin Park. Pub, cross park, walk straight in a minute before kick off. Then I got a membership because it saved a few quid, but you had more of a palaver with tickets. Then, when the crowds doubled, I thought I should buy a season ticket for the new ground. West Stand.

The first league football match I ever went to was at Chelsea. Turn up, pay on the gate. Also bought and took beer into the stand at 15 years of age. However, I was soon able to earn thirty bob on Saturday working at Woolworths. So I knocked football on the head. I have no animosity to QPR and a surprising number of school pals supported them. Same with Watford, a lot of my school pals came from Watford. Neither club had done anything. Fulham were a more successful club in those days. I don’t mind them either. Nobody supported Arsenal apart from our PE teacher. Spurs were more popular but Chelsea were on the way up.

#19 2022-03-07 04:24:06

Spendthrift

'on a 15 yr old who doesn't know better but on a fully grown man.....'

There is a (very small) part of me that envies the bloke who just has trainers and a hoodie. A good mate of mine, same age, (50) makes for very intelligent conversation and has led a really interesting life. Just gone back to college part time because he felt he wanted to improve in areas . Doesn't seem to work but has a very comfortable life indeed. Just isn't interested in clothes. Thinks they're a distraction from more important stuff. I'm not sure I can argue with him. Seen him almost every day for years and he's wearing Gap jeans, a black T shirt, hoodie if it's cold, black parka if it's raining. New Balance trainers until they wear out, when he buys a pair exactly the same. Of course, unless you're a sniper there's no excuse whatsoever for camouflage trousers. And your man there probably put thought into it and still decided he looked impressive.

#20 2022-03-07 05:01:45

AFS

My first wife's second husband was often seen in full combat gear and carry a multi-striped golf umbrella in his right hand.  She, at one point, dressed as though about to invade Vietnam.  It was a brief marriage.

#21 2022-03-07 06:13:39

AlveySinger

Spendthrift,

Your friend has a really interesting perspective.I too have friends who just the mere mention of going out shopping for clothes breaks them into a cold sweat.

Most of the men I know have interests - either passive ones like being a film or wine buff through to more active pursuits like cycling or travelling the length and breadth of this fair isle in pursuit of their football team.

My own passion with clothes is similar and multifaceted. I get as much pleasure tracking things down (like a stamp collector), learning the history and manufacturing process (similar to a wine buff) as I do wearing the suff.
Knowing a bit elevates my personal pleasure. That's not to say I'm in any way an expert in these matters.

When I put on an outfit that I feel works well or in a new way I feel the same.I genuinely don't care what others think of how I look. Being in my mid fifties I'm not sensitive as I once was and I have a good sense of what suits me, the appropriateness of certain items and how to pull things together.

My only concern is not giving up. To start not caring about my appearance. To be become one of those sad souls who doesn't know his neck or waist size and is reliant on his wife for what he wears.

You see them occasionally at Dinner. They slowly put down the menu and gaze nervously across at their wives to ask  "Do I like mushrooms?"

#22 2022-03-07 06:25:15

Runninggeez

To be become one of those sad souls who doesn't know his neck or waist size and is reliant on his wife for what he wears.

You see them occasionally at Dinner. They slowly put down the menu and gaze nervously across at their wives to ask  "Do I like mushrooms?"

When I worked in Harrington's we had quite a few women coming in buying shirts, knitwear & chino's/5 pockets, never shoes, for their Husbands, I found it Bizarre.

#23 2022-03-07 06:43:29

Spendthrift

Alvey: I'm with you on everything there. I love 'the hunt'. Much as I used to when I collected vinyl.

It's a good feeling to be able to see yourself in an outfit and realise it would look better with desert boots. Or a green crew neck.

I think it's imperative not to care what others think. My mate tends to look me up and down and mutter 'What have you come as today?' My game is to always have an answer, e.g. Dean Martin's caddy.

RG - I see it often in M&S

Wife - "For goodness sake, Brian. It wont hurt to try it on''
Brian (throwing a strop like a toddler) ''What does it matter? It's just a pair of trousers. Can we PLEASE go and get a coffee and cake?''

#24 2022-03-07 07:08:31

AFS

Back to the Visual Illiteracy Of The English Male.  It wasn't always this way, as we're well aware.  My father was a decent dresser back in the day.  Who visits a tailor now, for alterations or anything else?  And I mean a tailor, not the kind of nice lady in the next village from me who does my turn-ups. 
The hunt - my word, yes.  I'll spend months trawling online - more so, nowadays, than looking in shops (of any description).
Those of you who like your music - AUS will remember all this - finding something rare at a venue like Wigan would make you feel good all week.  My brother-in-law will talk about it once you manage to get him away from his wife.  I once saw his collectors' box: records worth a small fortune.

#25 2022-03-07 07:24:00

Kingston1an

‘To be become one of those sad souls who doesn't know his neck or waist size and is reliant on his wife for what he wears.’

Older men might have been working all day Saturday. No shops open on Sunday. So the wife bought a lot. Exception was getting measured up for a suit - which required a free Saturday afternoon.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

Board footer