You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

#276 2023-04-18 07:24:27

RobbieB

Re: Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

+1 for the Blue Orchid. I've been in there a few times, a long time ago. It seemed to be everyone's favourite Chinese, in the Romford area.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#277 2023-04-19 05:35:41

Kingston1an

Was in Leatherhead Spoons for Saltaire Triple Choc. It's an excellent beer. I have visited Saltaire which was set up by paternalistic Victorian Titus Salt. He was a temperance man so there were no pubs in the town originally. The brewery is actually in Shipley. I walked there in the rain to find it was not fully open but they were decent enough to let me have a beer on the premises.

A pal walked into Spoons. He had been on a walk with Elmbridge 'wellbeing' it's connected to the Ramblers but you don't have to join anything and the walks are easy enough. I may give it a go. I have been on tracks same pal has told me of and enjoyed them.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#278 2023-04-19 12:43:14

RobbieB

I didn't know Spoons sold Saltaire Triple Choc. I've tried it in Finland, where it is sold as an exotic foreign beer, and I liked it. I visited Saltaire quite a few years ago and I remember visiting a David Hockney (once an ivy dresser) exhibition. I never put the two names together. I remember we had to drive out of Saltaire to find a pub.Ill give the beer another go at Spoons prices.

#279 2023-04-20 04:05:38

Kingston1an

I went to that David Hockney exhibition too.

You may need to look on Spoons app to find Triple Choc. They don't all have it on

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#280 2023-05-04 06:44:26

Kingston1an

I note Prince William and the wife walk straight into The Dog and Duck in Soho today and get seats. Probably get seats in the evening too.

It's handy being royal.

#281 2023-05-04 09:18:47

RobbieB

In the last week I've visited the Peterboat pub in old Leigh a couple of times. Tasted local beers from St George's brewery. Old Southendian Porter and HildaB ale. The porter was so so but got better the more I drank but the StHildaB was very acceptable. Good to see the local pubs supporting the local breweries.

Last edited by RobbieB (2023-05-04 09:21:37)

#282 2023-05-04 09:34:41

Kingston1an

Rochford beer festival used to be a good one. We went on to Southend to walk along the pier from there.

#283 2023-05-04 10:49:13

RobbieB

I will have to keep my eye open for the Rochford beer festival. The Peterboat had a beer festival a few years back which was very good. I think COVID killed it off before it became a regular event

#284 2023-05-18 02:26:00

Kingston1an

Off to Kingston beer festival as a customer today. Did set up on Tuesday. Sprung dance floor covered. All 70 beers arrived. Stillage set up. Cooling in place without too much leaking. Supposed to wear protective footwear. When stillage was scaffolding we were laughably supposed to wear hard hats. When I worked on building sites in the 1970s you usually wore the clothes you turned up in. Hard hats were worn when it rained.

Last week was a beers from the wood festival. Lots of waiting for stuff to arrive. Wooden casks leak and the hoses for the cooling system leaked far more than at Kingston though it was a smaller set up.

Met up with flatsix6 who had a baseball cap instead of the usual hat. He had a very nice J Press Madras shirt. No other Ivy clothing in evidence that day. However on Friday a chap was wearing something similar to a Keydge Ivy jacket. Patch pockets 3 roll to 2 centre vent. However the pockets were a reverse bellow design. After serving his beer I asked 'where did you get that jacket?'  The answer was a joke reply about his tailor. Cannot see anything similar online. It was a sage green colour rather than pensioner beige.

#285 2023-05-22 14:05:53

FlatSixC

Spent some of yesterday afternoon at the The Bulls Head, Barnes Bridge listening to The Big Swing Band. They were a 15 piece outfit playing stuff from Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Woody Herman etc. Not my normal listening but I really enjoyed them and it was interesting to watch the band working together, I would certainly recommend them if they play a date near you. Sadly the band nearly outnumbered the audience, I concluded that they definitely weren’t in it for the money, more the enjoyment of playing together. My afternoon’s enjoyment was assisted by partaking of four pints of Youngs Original before hopping back on the train.

For this deployment I wore a stone coloured J Keydge cotton jacket, J Press mainly green madras shirt, navy blue JS linen trousers and white Sanders bucks.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-05-23 02:38:59)

#286 2023-06-22 05:24:22

Kingston1an

Gas works next door. Water mains burst up the hill. Bus on diversion. Road works everywhere. Broken Britain.

Nicely dressed young ladies on the train. Heading for Ascot. Bloke dressed as a jockey at Clapham Junction.

The back garden is a welcome refuge at times.

#287 2023-10-27 09:14:52

Kingston1an

Visited a famous Spitalfields house at 4 Princelet street. It had an exhibition by a bloke called Christo. Various bits of shit wrapped up in plastic and tied up. Money for old rope quite literally. The exhibition was free though.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12601375/Londons-instagrammed-house-Georgian-Spitalfields-Luther-Ralph-Fiennes-film-Invisible-Woman.html

Afterwards it was one street away from The Pride of Spitalfields. Crouch Vale Gold was in good order but sadly the lunchtime k**ch**  is gone. So no ham egg and chips at reasonable prices.

However, they do offer wonderful hot salt beef sandwiches with gherkin, salad etc for £4. These are far better than what the 24 hour Bagel shop at the top of Brick Lane offer. I never did get on with bagels either too sweet for me. Tried them a few times when I was playing bridge in the East End.

On a more clothing related topic, I note Blackman's shoes has closed its shop and is now online only. Online offerings do not reveal anything I would want to buy.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2023-10-27 09:16:23)

#288 2024-01-22 06:36:53

Kingston1an

Road works everywhere so journeys take forever. Too cold to want to go out in the evening.

Even Spoons is fairly empty.

Maybe I should be in warmer climes for the Winter.

#289 2024-01-25 03:13:24

RobbieB

Amazingly the bar staff in my local claim they took £50,000 in the second week of Jan. Second highest in country for the pub group.The pub does not offer food so wet sales only. The next week they only had 3 people in the pub one night! Their prices almost match Spoons and plenty of 'functioning alcoholics' use the place.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

Board footer