You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

#26 2022-03-07 07:53:53

RobbieB

Re: Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

I had a Saturday job in a menswear shop. I was on commission and made most money selling shirts to women who were buying for their husbands. I was 16 and amazed that men didn't want to buy their own shirts.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#27 2022-03-07 07:54:02

Staxfan

Kingy, you took the same route as me from pub via the rec to pay at the turnstile, my pal I’ve been going to football with since we were nippers, and I decided we needed season tickets when we made the championship in 2014, we’re in the south stand at the BCS, up to about 30 yrs ago Brentford kicked off at 3:15 to give the fans time to leave the pubs at closing time of 3pm, very considerate, only club in England to ko at 3:15, in the olden times we use to go to Chelsea, QPR,Fulham when the Bees were away and we weren’t playing ourselves,

#28 2022-03-07 08:41:50

Kingston1an

West stand will soon be safe standing. This is not really proper standing. You could move around in the proper standing. Ealing Road you could move steps if you were at the back. Brook Road with small crowds you could move anywhere and no sun in your eyes either.

I did consider other stands but the feedback has not been great. Thought about trying S106 during a London Irish game but season ticket renewal time is fast approaching now.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#29 2022-03-07 10:18:48

Staxfan

We're in  S103, renewed for next season, OAP rates, haha

#30 2022-03-07 10:47:18

Kingston1an

S103 Dugout. Higher price than where I was looking. There is a whole raft of seats higher up in the South stand that are premium price.

Anyway current alternatives are right next to away fans in East or North. So I will stay put but renew as late as possible.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#31 2022-03-08 00:15:20

RobbieB

My cutting down on drinking isn't going quite to plan. Spent lunchtime yesterday in Southend 'spoons. Got there at 12 left at 4. I was surprised that most of the hardened drinkers left around 3. Monday Club prices £2.85 for Guinness . No ivy spotted except cousin wearing BD, Lacoste jumper etc. Several people said hello and generally people were friendly. Shortage of barstaff but they were efficient and recognised the correct serving order. Younger blokes trying to push in got ignored.

#32 2022-03-08 00:17:16

RobbieB

Looks like Fat Frank Lampard might help the Bees in their religation battle.
Everton have a tough run in.

#33 2022-03-08 01:30:51

Staxfan

We’ll take all the help we can get !

#34 2022-03-08 01:32:11

Staxfan

4 hours must equal 8 pints Robbie, a tad fragile this morning?

#35 2022-03-08 02:13:55

Kingston1an

RobbieB,

‘Spent lunchtime yesterday in Southend 'spoons. Got there at 12 left at 4. I was surprised that most of the hardened drinkers left around 3.’

Many spooners time it to avoid schools finishing particularly if a bus journey is involved. One crowd I know arrive in the morning.

#36 2022-03-08 05:32:35

RobbieB

Only 6 pints Stax. Feeling good and now drinking Guinness in a shoeburyness pub

#37 2022-03-08 06:53:49

Staxfan

Keeping topped up Rob, and it's only Tuesday !!

#38 2022-03-08 10:11:51

RobbieB

4 pints today and that is probably it for the week. I did walk 10 miles along the Estuary on a beautiful early spring day. Saying goodbye before I return to the Finnish/Russian border next week where missus will restrict my beer consumption somewhat

#39 2022-03-09 05:58:02

RobbieB

Kingston1an

'Many spooners time it to avoid schools finishing particularly if a bus journey is involved. One crowd I know arrive in the morning'.

That makes sense as the pub is near the travel centre where all the buses leave from. My own bus got packed with school kids but I don't mind that.

#40 2022-03-09 06:13:46

Kingston1an

Trains are better for school kids. They get on and off quicker. There is more room too.

#41 2022-03-09 07:12:14

AFS

This thread is beginning to reek of stale beer, slops, curling cheese and onion sandwiches, overripe Scotch eggs and Barbara Windsor-type barmaids.

Time TRS and I met for an espresso.

#42 2022-03-09 07:53:01

Kingston1an

AFS,

You could talk about what you see in Derbyshire - not just coffee places and charity shops. Peak District villages? Buxton, Bakewell - Chesterfield even. Seems an underrated county to me.

#43 2022-03-09 08:04:21

AFS

Well, Sir John B liked it a good deal, said it had/has everything but the sea and was often at Chatsworth as a guest of the Duchess Of Devonshire.  She used to do her shopping in the big medieval market place in Chesterfield and was apparently well liked. 
We used to live further up the county, in Cromford, on the southern edge of the Peak District, in a Grade 2 listed stone cottage.  It was quite a shock for me, moving with a seven year old child from a slightly shabby council maisonette to a busy, rather pretty village.  The baker and blacksmith were still in business then.  No longer.  The village has become an extension of Wirksworth - very arty-crafty. 
We spend a fair amount of time in the east or south of the county nowadays.  If any of you come this way, please make certain to visit the area around Melbourne and Repton.  Each has a major church, Repton having the best surviving Anglo-Saxon architecture in the East Midlands.

#44 2022-03-09 08:07:15

AFS

Pub-wise, there is the 'John Thompson' at Ingleby, named after its landlord - often to be seen eating his lunch there.  Brews his own range of beers, too.  Very roast beef, Yorkshire pudding and two veg under the hot-plate otherwise.  A good place to take granny.

#45 2022-03-09 08:09:40

AFS

Another favourite place is Somersal Herbert (not easy to find), with its Tudor manor house tucked away beside the church.

#46 2022-03-09 08:36:22

Kingston1an

Cromford has a rail station plus industrial heritage. I have not been there but it would be a good place to visit.

#47 2022-03-09 08:49:18

AFS

An innocent taxi driver was murdered there in 2010.  Completely senseless shooting.

#48 2022-03-09 11:30:21

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Cromford has a tram museum. I’ve never been there when it was open but once had sex in their car park in the back of a Datsun.

I’m alibi’d for the taxi job.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#49 2022-03-09 11:31:38

AFS

Crich, Woof.  It must have been a memorable experience.

#50 2022-03-09 11:32:44

AFS

Who was the lucky guy?

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

Board footer