You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

#51 2022-03-09 11:37:09

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

Crich. You’re right but I wasn’t paying much attention to the signs, she were a right rum’un.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#52 2022-03-09 11:41:32

AFS

She would be if she was from round our way.
'Derbyshire born, Derbyshire bred -
Strong in th' arm, thick in th' 'ead...'

#53 2022-03-09 11:42:45

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

AFS - This thread is beginning to reek of stale beer, slops, curling cheese and onion sandwiches, overripe Scotch eggs and Barbara Windsor-type barmaids

I wish pubs still sold those things. These days its more likely to be something artisanal with Chorizo, I’m amazed at the things you can put Chorizo in.

(deftly changes subject)

John Simons

#54 2022-03-09 11:43:55

AFS

Woof, would you believe fishcakes?  True.

#55 2022-03-10 01:04:48

Kingston1an

Inexpensive cheese and onion rolls, ploughman’s lunchs or ham, egg and chips have more or less disappeared from pubs.

The £5 artisan Scotch egg etc has replaced them. Masons Arms in Teddington is about the only place I know that still offers a cheese and onion roll on a plate for about £1.50.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#56 2022-03-10 01:11:48

Kingston1an

Cromford has UNESCO world heritage status. Part of our industrial heritage like Saltaire. Titus Salt might have been a more benevolent employer though - and he liked to keep his people off the booze. Hence no pubs like those worthy Quaker chocolate people decreed for their model town in Bournville.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#57 2022-03-10 03:18:43

AFS

We lived in one of the three-storey cottages built by Sir Richard Arkwright for his workforce.  Students of architecture and Japanese tourists would occasionally come and take a shufti.  The garden was on five levels, with a small orchard, terminated by a limestone cliff which (being far younger) I soon learned how to climb.  There was an enormous nature reserve at the back, complete with orchids and adders.  A neighbour was bitten on the hand by a young adder.  He soon got the shakes. 
We sold to a young couple from Leigh-On-Sea who wanted it as a holiday cottage.  Sadly, the wife died there, at just thirty nine. 
Crpmford has a famous, 'Guardian'-approved secondhand bookshop, Scarthin Books.  All very arty-farty, trendy lefty with its veggie cafe etc.  The people who run it are very pleasant, however. 
Belper has the same status.  A sign telling you so is two minutes walk away from my front door.
The Strutt family, associates of Arkwright, ran Belper, but in a very different way.  Very down on the working classes enjoying themselves, so no pubs.

#58 2022-03-10 03:19:45

AFS

^ Amazing what you could get in those days for £33.000.

#59 2022-03-10 03:24:28

AFS

Belper, BTW, is a far more interesting place than it appears at first glance, full of narrow 'ginnels', some of which are thought to date back to the mid-14th century.  I walk up one of them (fairly steep) each morning as part of my daily exercise. 
The main conservation area, around Long Row, close to the mills, where the cottages are pricey but quickly snapped up, is always smothered in dogshit.

#60 2022-03-10 03:36:03

Kingston1an

Sir Richard Arkwright used to have the factory gates locked. Workers on the wrong side were fined and not allowed to work the next day. Not a benevolent man - but the town sounds marvellous. I have only stopped at the rail station to and from Matlock/Derby.

#61 2022-03-10 03:54:53

AFS

It was a hugely important area for the Romans: rich in lead, which they mined for its silver content. 
There are three pubs for the thirsty traveller:  The Greyhound in the market place, The Boat, just around the corner, and The Bell, halfway up the hill.  My old address was 106 The Hill.  People who live up there talk about 'goin' down Cromford' as if it were miles away.  Very, very parochial.

#62 2022-03-14 02:49:04

RobbieB

I can report that Wetherspoons Gatwick Airport are out of Guinness. What's the world coming to when you can't get a Guinness at 8.30 in the morning? The Shipyard pale ale tastes quite nice, however. Shortage of staff everywhere and long queues.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#63 2022-03-23 12:24:31

Kingston1an

Lots of folk out and about in parks in central London yesterday - Coram Fields, Red Lion Square etc. Outside dining in full swing too. Not sure if that is an advantage though if you are under a canopy at this time of year.

I thought Wetherspoon had permanently closed their Gatwick bar. Maybe it was only while the South Terminal was shut down.

#64 2022-03-23 12:37:29

RobbieB

I was at Gatwick North Red Lion Wetherspoons. The South Terminal was shut then but I think it has opened now. The place was packed at 8.00 am with most people having a breakfast.

I need to visit Red Lion Square as my cousin's son has a bench there in his name. He died a few years ago at a young age and we had the 'pleasure' of Kier Starmer at his funeral. They sang 'Internationale' at the funeral and that wasn't appreciated by all family members. Particularly the family that could be identified as 'working class'

Last edited by RobbieB (2022-03-23 12:44:18)

#65 2022-03-24 02:04:24

AlveySinger

Being from the majestic city of Birmingham I have only travelled from Gatwick a few times.

It's like the mad off spring of a marriage between a cheap and nasty shopping mall and an airport. (At least at Heathrow it's a bit more refined)

Pounding house music at 8 in the morning doesn't lift the spirits.

It seams that drinking at airports first thing in the morning has become a thing. I really don't understand that attraction of getting fucked-up and then sitting in a pressurised tin can for hours dehydrated. Air travel is increasingly horrible so why make the effects even worse.

#66 2022-03-24 02:20:37

RobbieB

I remember years ago being shocked that Finns could be seen drinking at Helsinki airport at 8.00 am but now the Brits are the same. Because I nearly always have 'trouble' getting through security etc I arrive early and usually go to a bar and nurse a pint. The shops at Gatwick are full of shit and my last trip I wanted to buy a bottle of wine for the person who was picking me up the other end. The selection was pathetic.
Ryan air are now offering tickets Helsinki to Stansted starting at 10 Euro!

#67 2022-03-24 03:29:38

AFS

On Saturday, I will take a drink, my first in a month, in my favourite Turkish restaurant.  It will be an ice-cold glass of Tuborg lager, accompanying their delicious bread, grilled chicken and salad.  Just the one drink.  Turkish coffee, served with water, will follow.  Sometimes Turks will serve no alcohol at all, so pineapple juice suffices.
The 'Brits' (not just the English by a long country mile) disgust me more and more.  On the other hand, I've seen men and women reeling round the streets of Breton towns (not to mention in Paris) well before the sun has sailed over the yardarm.  It's my beloved Italians who seem to know how to handle their intake.

#68 2022-03-24 03:30:27

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Stansted in the mornings is pretty horrible.

When they were building Terminal 5 at Heathrow I used to pass Polish guys at Waterloo, on their way to work at the construction site. 07:00 hours, cans of strong lager for breakfast, I used to wonder how many accidents there were.

John Simons

#69 2022-03-24 03:38:10

AFS

Times have changed.  When I started work, on a construction site, in the spring of 1976, we would have five or six pints of lager on a Friday lunchtime.  No hard hats, boots not compulsory.  Almost everyone smoked, including dope. 
But, in those days, a tattoo parlour was up a dirty back alley, not on the high street next to Costa coffee.

#70 2022-03-24 03:53:45

Kingston1an

It was different when licensing laws meant few places served alcohol in the morning.

Smithfield was good. Fox and Anchor - a full English and a couple of pints before work, great atmosphere. Only a couple of market porters in blood-stained white coats. The cartoonist who drew Bristow in the Standard used to drink in there. Lots of military types on leave. Beaujolais Nouveau arrival was a big event. A nice treat if you then had a tiresome presentation to listen to at work.

The Hope was full of posties. We got asked if we had just come from a night out. The Cock downstairs in the market was mostly porters and mainly eating breakfast - not so much drinking. Southwark tavern near the Borough was a strange one. Not so busy. https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jun/21/pints-dawn-last-call-london-market-pubs

#71 2022-03-24 04:08:41

AFS

I hitched to London with an older mate, a brickie, when I was sixteen.  I was amazed to be able to get a drink around six in the morning.  He was a Southern lad and knew the ropes.  I was probably keener on tracking down a bacon sandwich with HP sauce in those days.

#72 2022-03-24 04:13:40

Kingston1an

Is ‘dislike of your own country/the other man’s grass is always greener’ a thing with British Ivyists?

With covid bureaucracy, I am quite looking forward to seeing more of our great nation instead. Beverley is next up -ticking off Clifton-Taylor towns, though I will actually stay in Hull. I don’t know much of the East Riding but I have had good reports from pals despite the place often appearing on lists of depressing places.

#73 2022-03-24 04:46:56

AFS

Dislike of topography?  No.  You misunderstand me.

#74 2022-03-24 04:58:02

RobbieB

It took me moving away from England to make me re evaluate my attitude towards Blighty. I now appreciate what's good about the UK more than I ever did before.

'In England's green and pleasant land' playing on the radio as I type. Radio 3 on in the background.

I do think that Kingston1an has a point re British Ivyists

#75 2022-03-24 05:46:23

AFS

Am I supposed to prefer a whelk stall at Blackpool to lobster in a French seaport?  Come off it.  Come right off it. 
And that's a misinterpretation of what Blake was getting at, isn't it?

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

Board footer