You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

#76 2022-03-24 05:46:48

Spendthrift

Re: Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

'Is ‘dislike of your own country/the other man’s grass is always greener’ a thing with British Ivyists?'

This is a really good question. I certainly don't dislike my country. I'm bored of it, and do wish I lived somewhere else. But the fact that I don't is purely down to me. So it's unfair of me to lash out at the rest of the country for what is a result of my own apathy and lack of drive.

It is difficult not to get depressed when I see the antics and habits of everyone around me. But I suspect through history the English have always been the same to one degree or another. It's not really a 21st Century thing. And I'm not 100% sure that the issues and problems are getting worse. It's just me getting older and moaning about it more.

What do I find most frustrating? People living their lives through the medium of soap operas, social media. Celebrity worship. Families sitting in a McDonalds car park eating Sunday lunch. The awful, depressing site of groups of teenagers having nothing better to do than ride around on children's BMX's in town centres. Not interested enough to go any further than JD Sports for their clothes. But I am pretty sure that if I went to live in a suburb around Melbourne, Delaware or Dortmund I'd see similar things.

I'm probably alone in this one. But It almost seems to me that at some point the English faced some kind of ultimatum; Be more American, or more European, but you can't stay British. And being British we embraced the worst of America. The trash. I'm not saying The US isn't great and hasn't done great things. But we seem to wilfully ignore the good stuff.

On the whole, if we're on holiday in Europe, US, wherever, we've chosen that place because it's an unusually nice place to be, and we don't have to do anything but enjoy it while we're there. It's easy to get sucked into thinking this is how your life could be.

Last edited by Spendthrift (2022-03-24 05:54:09)

#77 2022-03-24 06:07:46

AFS

I thought - or imagined - that much of the point of wearing 'Ivy League' clothing in London in the 1950s and 60s was to permit - no, encourage - the wearer to look outwards: to New York specifically, to New England, to California, to Milan and Rome, to Paris and Marseilles, to Barcelona, even to Majorca and Ibiza.  Otherwise, what was the point? 
The wearer - as is evident from postings elsewhere - looked to John Kennedy for inspiration, not to Anthony Eden or Harold Wilson.  He tended to prefer listening to Chet Baker or Art Pepper (or Jackie Wilson or Otis Redding) to Acker Bilk or John Dankworth.  He preferred Frank Sinatra to Frankie Vaughan.  Did he not prefer - when he could get it - espresso to Camp coffee?  Did he not prefer pasta to pork dripping on tasteless white bread? 
Patrick Nahman - a Jew growing up just after the war - told both JFM and myself that New York was the Promised Land.  New York.  Manhattan.  That was vital to him.

#78 2022-03-24 06:17:36

Kingston1an

‘I thought - or imagined - that much of the point of wearing 'Ivy League' clothing in London in the 1950s and 60s was to permit - no, encourage - the wearer to look outwards: to New York specifically, to New England, to California, to Milan and Rome, to Paris and Marseilles, to Barcelona, even to Majorca and Ibiza.  Otherwise, what was the point?  ’

I thought it was just to look good. This was in the days when many still cared about a smart appearance.

Ivy was just a slightly different look - oneupmanship. Nothing wrong with British kit either. Music and film may have helped promote the style.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#79 2022-03-24 06:23:22

Kingston1an

Spendthrift says ‘It's easy to get sucked into thinking this is how your life could be.’

Very true. It might be different to live there rather than holiday there though.

Nostalgia means I often think things were better in the past but I try not to dwell too much on irritating behaviours of fellow citizens.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#80 2022-03-24 06:47:20

Spendthrift

AFS - Well, that's more than half the appeal for me. It's an ideal that I still cling to. Even though that 50s/60s golden moment of realisation is long, long gone.

And if those new attitudes won out in the end, I don't know if it was for the best or not? People might have been encouraged to look outwards, but did they interpret it correctly? 

How many people still think New York is one big episode of 'Friends'? Probably as many as thought it was like an episode of NYPD Blue. Instant espresso granules are available in supermarkets with dried pasta and ham and pineapple pizza. Somewhere along the line the romantic idea of the American Diner became a drive through KFC. Frank Sinatra became Michael Buble.

Last edited by Spendthrift (2022-03-24 06:48:18)

#81 2022-03-24 06:54:00

AFS

It's all frozen in time, every bit of it - time and the whirling imagination.  It's romance.  It's like the girl of your dreams.  Look at those West Coast album covers. 

Is the world even now our oyster?

#82 2022-03-24 06:57:30

Spendthrift

Kingston1an - 'Nostalgia means I often think things were better in the past'

This is very true. Years ago I listened to a piece on the radio, where a very wide range of people had been helping in the study of nostalgia, and how it shapes our opinions and preferences. They were all ages from thirties up to nearly one hundred, from different countries and backgrounds.

I particularly remember an old Jamaican guy and a mid forties English extreme right winger.

All participants were asked to describe how they would like all aspects of the ideal world to be if they had the power to change it. Without exception, the results showed that they would like the world to be the same as they perceived it to be when they were ten years old.

#83 2022-03-24 06:59:07

Spendthrift

AFS - Is the world even now our oyster?

The world is your oyster, but your future's a clam.

He He. Had to get that one in!

#84 2022-03-24 07:14:03

Kingston1an

‘All participants were asked to describe how they would like all aspects of the ideal world to be if they had the power to change it. Without exception, the results showed that they would like the world to be the same as they perceived it to be when they were ten years old.’

Ten years old would do. Without the Cuban missile crisis; but with many of the conveniences and bonuses that have become commonplace since - foreign holidays, cars, consumer durables. Despite the missile crisis, there was otherwise a sense that things were getting better. ‘You’ve never had it so good’ as Supermac used to say.

#85 2022-03-24 07:14:48

RobbieB

'Am I supposed to prefer a whelk stall at Blackpool to lobster in a French seaport?  Come off it.  Come right off '

AFS quote

In the words of Arthur Daley 'The world is your Lobster AFS, my son'

Last edited by RobbieB (2022-03-24 07:16:11)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#86 2022-03-24 07:21:35

AFS

After re-reading Blake, read D.H.Lawrence.  In depth and at length.  The Eastwood he knew has changed - of course it has - and it's where one side of my family originate.  I had an uncle who crossed the county border to marry my aunt.  Quite a big deal.  Then, in the grim town where my father grew up, men had fought one another with iron-tipped clogs - in living memory.  No wonder he fancied wearing an Italian suit, a skinny tie and listening to the Modern Jazz Quartet. 
Lawrence liked Italy.  So do I.  But, find yourself at Felley Priory, about twenty minutes drive from the street where Lawrence was born, you'll think yourself in a different world: all Tudor brick and fresh-looking ploughed fields in the near distance.  I think they even serve pots of tea along with their 'smoothies' and odd types of coffee (gingerbread shot anyone?). 
Then you can try and find Sutton Scarsdale, overlooking the motorway and all but forgotten.

#87 2022-03-24 07:24:29

AFS

I never took Supermac very seriously after hearing that skit - Peter Cook.  I began to detest him after reading that he'd given the go-ahead for the great Euston Arch to be demolished.  A major act of vandalism.

#88 2022-03-24 07:24:33

Spendthrift

Kington1an - 'Ten years old would do'

See? It works! I was ten in 1982. Just released from private school back to my old comp'. Madness riding high in the charts. Nothing to worry about apart from whether my copy of The Beano would arrive. Got a Raleigh Chopper for my birthday. I'd go back.

Last edited by Spendthrift (2022-03-24 07:27:16)

#89 2022-03-24 07:30:31

AFS

I was ten in 1969.  Seemed like a good year.  At least, I still had a family - which I didn't have by 1973 due to my mother's inability to fuck anyone in trousers. 
Music was terrible, TV was pretty good, clothing was (in my hazy recollection) getting worse.  The closest I got to private school was reading Bunter and Jennings books.  I loved them every bit as I did 'Batman' and 'The Green Lantern'.  Nor was I allowed a Chopper bike.  The old cow probably imagined I'd fall off and be an even greater millstone round her neck.

#90 2022-03-24 07:31:55

AFS

^ I suppose that should read 'ability'.  She was highly active in that department.

#91 2022-03-24 07:36:34

Kingston1an

The Beano was great. I got Beano and Dandy for my niece’s kids this Christmas. My nephew went to The Beano exhibition at Somerset House which sounds good. I did note some new characters - a mixed race girl called JJ. The nephew also asked my brother-in-law if it was common for teachers and parents to thrash kids in the old days. This no longer features in the modern comic. I hope eccentric millionaires buying the Bash Street Kids a slap up meal still continues. A big mountain of mashed potato with sausages sticking out of the side is far better than a Quarter pounder with fries.

#92 2022-03-24 07:40:15

Spendthrift

My abiding memory of private school - When you turned 10 you were allowed to visit the headmaster in his private study. Where he would sit you on his knees and jiggle you up and down while he sang a happy song.

I earned that bike.

#93 2022-03-24 07:47:58

AFS

Kingers, I own an original drawing of Denis Gifford, done as a schoolboy (private, I'm fairly sure).  Now there's a name to conjure with: so obsessive a collector his wife and daughter had to move out of the house.  His collection was apparently dispersed after his death. 
Some chap in Matlock lashed out a huge amount of money for the first 'Beano' a few years back.  Came with its free gift. 
Mountains of sausage and mash were a staple of English comics going way back, as you'll see in the still splendid 'Penguin Book Of Comics' by Perry and Aldridge (which goes out of its way to explain, not especially accurately, the links between American comic-strips and comic books and the Pop Art of chaps like Roy Lichtenstein). 
I still have a few (well preserved and protected) comics from around the 1914-1920 mark.

#94 2022-03-24 08:37:43

RobbieB

I was a fan of Desperate Dan in the Dandy comic. He loved a cow pie.
As a kid I got the Dandy and the Beano every week. Then when I showed a bit of promise 'Look and Learn' appeared on my reading list.

#95 2022-03-24 08:45:06

AFS

There was also a marvellous thing called, I think, 'Treasure'.  Not unlike 'Look And Learn'.  It had double-page studies of castle interiors - that kind of thing.  'Educational' but highly interesting to a child with a spark of imagination.  Very unlike the eight-year old next door: ADHD and a mobile 'phone/tablet/whatever. 
I well remember my younger daughter attempting to interest one of her chums in 'The Wizard Of Oz'.  Kid saw it began in sepia and simply walked out of the room.  A complete inability to acquire acquired tastes. 
Still great comics in the 60s.  I went through a 'Roy Of The Rovers' phase in 1967.

#96 2022-03-24 08:55:40

RobbieB

I try to live in the present but always have a nagging feeling that things were generally better for my people in the past during my youth. I lead a good life today but everything depends on one's health and once that goes you are truly fucked.

#97 2022-03-24 08:59:18

AFS

^ Well and truly.

#98 2022-04-06 03:33:12

Kingston1an

I am relieved to see that the blue train indicators at Earls Court are not being removed. They are much clearer than the ones at the end of the platform and a welcome fixture in an ever-changing world. District Line Tubes as busy as pre-covid times.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/london-underground-earls-court-heritage-23526693

#99 2022-04-06 08:11:04

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

AFS - 'Am I supposed to prefer a whelk stall at Blackpool to lobster in a French seaport?  Come off it.  Come right off '

Oysters at Whitstable washed down, dare I say it, with a pint of Shepherd Neame. When I think of French seaports I always think of dog shit on pavements.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#100 2022-04-06 08:12:53

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Comics - when I was seven The Eagle started being delivered once a week along with the paper. I don’t recall asking for, or being previously aware of it, but it always featured articles about technology and engineering along with the serials. It whetted my appetite to find out more about plenty of things. Later I found out that my dad, who was a commercial artist, had ordered it because he liked the drawings in it and wanted to copy some of them for a job he was working on. Comics tended to reinforce stereotypes which would be frowned on today. My favourite character was Alf Tupper, The Tough of The Track, who featured in The Victor, he was a working class athlete who ran his best races after a hearty meal of fish and chips and continually clashed with ‘posh types’ on and off the track, invariably coming out on top.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Moochers, Ramblers, Flaneurs and Boulevardiers

Board footer