You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-03 15:06:47

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

KAMAKURA SHIRTS A TO Z OF THE IVY LOOK

For anyone who’s not aware: check out Graham Marsh’s blog on the Kamakura website. Lots of good clobber knowledge on offer and illustrated with Graham’s excellent drawings.

https://kamakurashirts.com/blogs/vintage-ivy-a-to-z-blog

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2 2022-06-04 07:04:00

Staxfan

Re: KAMAKURA SHIRTS A TO Z OF THE IVY LOOK

Thanks for the reminder Woof, there's been some updates since I last read the blog, I've been on the lookout for the Kamakura Ivy shirts, nothing in the new batch that appeal to me, However, I noticed the 'Sport' Collection, despite the 'Tokyo' or 'New York' slim fit descriptions I checked out the size charts and they seem ok, for instance :- 41-85 (16-33½) shoulder18.9,sleeve34.1,chest47.6 inches, some nice stripes in the collection, has anyone had anything from this collection ? I think Alvey may have mentioned a while ago he'd had Kamakura shirts, just wondered what the quality was like, pricing is good, the thing is though it'd be a pain in the butt to return to Japan if the shirt didn't meet expectations, grateful of any feedback,

#3 2022-06-06 03:04:20

plastic palm tree

I got a couple sport shirts in the New York Classic Fit that are really nice, especially the unlined collar. Miraculously escaped customs charges too.  I'm not sure about the slim fit though, would be wary unless sizing up in collar.  I remember them being quite slim from when I tried some on in their Madison Avenue shop years ago.  Sizing might have changed since though.

#4 2022-06-06 03:05:43

AFS

^ Now that is a miracle: more than matching that of Woofboxer walking on the Thames in Paraboot sandals.

#5 2022-06-06 03:35:49

Tim

On the back of Woof's reminder, I've just ordered one of the Vintage Ivy shirts, my first.
I think the Kamakura store on Mad Ave had closed on my visit to NY a few years ago, either that or I just failed to take it in for whatever reason.

Pricing wise, the website claimed the prices included duty & taxes, so including shipping it's significantly cheaper than having a JS shirt shipped & having to pay the guvermentals their pound of flesh.
I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh, I went for the long-sleeve chambray.

#6 2022-06-06 04:16:18

AFS

Are they not just a bit of a gimmick?

#7 2022-06-06 04:31:37

AFS

No.  I take that back.  Too harsh.  A long-sleeve chambray must be a nice acquisition.  But I won't (I'm sure Johnny Simons would advise against it) inquire about the price.
I'll not say I've not looked them over.  I have.  But I always try returning to Brooks Makers.
Probably an unadventurous spirit. 
But, thinking about the Troy Guild I recently bought, Brooks are better. 
On balance.

#8 2022-06-06 04:39:54

Staxfan

PPT - thanks for your comments , I scrutinised the size chart closely and the specs look ok, but there are a lot of different sizes ,seem to go up in 1/4" collars,
Tim - I'll be interested to see what your considered opinion is once you've received the shirt, ( better than JS shirts ?),
I'm interested in the pink oxford but I'm going to hold off for a few more weeks as I'm on holiday in 2 weeks and it'd be touch and go whether it arrived before I departed ,

#9 2022-06-06 05:14:01

Tim

@AFS 115 Euros including shipping and allegedly tax/duties etc, we'll see on that score. At current conversion rates, that's just shy of 99 sterling.
a JS shirt would set me back 120 sterling + postage (£20) plus import duty & VAT - so close to £170 by the time it arrives on my door-stop, or just shy of 200 euros. I only ever buy them on infrequent trips to London - although my lovely mum bought me a couple in the sale just before the brexshit rules came in and we had to start paying all these nonsense fees.

@Stax I shall let you know in due course - ordered Saturday evening and already shipped, Japanese efficiency!

#10 2022-06-06 05:19:27

AFS

Point taken on the JS shirt, Tim.  I sometimes hang my nose over those that turn up (fairly frequently now) on Ebay but they're rarely in my size.  The XL Madras popover Madras I have is a very odd fit - I have to kind of wriggle into it.  A nice enough shirt otherwise.  I think I've only worn it twice, though, due to the insane nature of English weather.

#11 2022-06-07 03:24:38

Sid Ford

@Stax - The Kamakura Sport has a great unlined collar.
It doesn't have the same features as the Vintage Ivy range (no locker loop, no back button, 7 button front bracket etc etc) but I wear mine regularly and am always happy with it. And yes, ignore the name 'Tokyo Slim Fit' and have a good look at the size chart. It is accurate so you can trust it.

#12 2022-06-07 06:33:01

Staxfan

Sid - Thanks for your input, I noticed no 3rd collar button or locker loop but TBH I wouldn't have them by choice, and I suspected a 7 button placket but again I'd probably prefer that, so all good, I will place an order when I return from my hols, thanks again,

#13 2023-06-17 04:55:12

FlatSixC

If anyone is on the tipping point of buying Kamkura shirts from All Blues in Leeds; they currently offer 10% off with the discount code SPRING10. Not a drastic reduction, but every little helps as they say and much cheaper than buying them from Kamakura in Japan.

#14 2023-06-21 20:20:15

Dulouz

Just bought several pairs of their Ivy League socks.

Board footer