You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Ivy and Trad dedicated thread on Dressed Well

#1 2022-06-17 21:11:57

Sammy Ambrose

Ivy and Trad dedicated thread on Dressed Well

Posters might like to know that there is a dedicated thread on DW for their discussions.  The software allows the posting of pics.

https://www.dressedwell.net/threads/discussions-on-trad.69/page-5

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#2 2022-06-18 00:14:30

AFS

Re: Ivy and Trad dedicated thread on Dressed Well

Woof may have departed but it doesn't mean game over.  Certainly some on here would like to post/view/comment on Madras shirts, loafers or whatever they sport/fancy - I acknowledge that.  But DW is a highly unattractive place in so many other ways, full of smugly superior gentlemen - some former posters on 'Talk Ivy' - who a sensible chap would walk a mile out of his way to avoid.

#3 2022-06-18 00:38:28

Sammy Ambrose

Come on Sadness.  Be a man and give it a go. Just imagine the luxury of being able to quote and post and view pics.  If you don't like it  you don't have to post.

But I am sure your insights and knowledge would be appreciated and as Woof pointed out AFS is now talking to himself on here. Do you like talking to yourself?

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#4 2022-06-18 01:08:12

AFS

JFM was often talking to himself, though, wasn't he?  Many of his posts (and they were legion) failed to gain traction.  And yet he was often informative.  For those wowed by the digital age - and most are, Sammy, that can't be denied - a forum that provides that opportunity might be welcomed.  For myself - I'm a Luddite reactionary, still digging Jelly Roll Morton, Georgian architecture and the herringbone sack. 
As for Woof, he's a cheeky so and so.

#5 2022-06-18 01:25:03

AFS

I did enjoy the reference to 'Mods' and their 'smooves'.  Spot on.

#6 2022-06-18 02:14:00

Kingston1an

‘Posters might like to know that there is a dedicated thread on DW for their discussions.  The software allows the posting of pics.’

Sammy, we certainly haven’t explored Ivy and Social Justice Warriors although most Ivy connections have had
coverage on here at some point.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2022-06-18 02:14:34)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#7 2022-06-18 02:55:44

AFS

I'm pretty certain Social Justice Warriors roam, patrol and lurk in all dark corners of the Internet, being they dedicated to clothing forums or otherwise.  'Tis the very Nature Of The Beast in the 21st century.
Nat Hentoff, that great promoter of jazz culture, wrote a book about free speech in the United States: how Left and Right have a habit of denying one another certain basic courtesies, i.e. agreeing to disagree.  So, although Senator Goldwater despised Richard Nixon, he was a friend and admirer of John Fitzgerald Kennedy. 
But we've all seen how the likes of Ms. Rowling have been howled down and spat on for daring to advance an alternative, unorthodox point of view.
Keyboard warriors, no?

#8 2022-06-18 02:57:28

AFS

^ Garbled in the first instance perhaps but I think you'll take the point.
KingstonIan expresses it well.

#9 2022-06-18 04:11:07

RobbieB

'But DW is a highly unattractive place in so many other ways, full of smugly superior gentlemen' -AFS

I've checked out DW on a number of occasions and I tend to agree with AFS. Not many posters on there that I feel I would enjoy meeting in a pub and sharing a few pints with. Mind you AFS might not want to meet me down at the local Wetherspoons either. Ha.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#10 2022-06-18 04:21:14

AFS

I'd meet you any time for coffee, though, Robbie.

#11 2022-06-18 05:39:10

AFS

Purely objectively, one is taking into account everything that is being aired about online discussions.  I noted the Trump/Brexit comments elsewhere and am relieved I was doing other things during that period.  I'd have been jumped on, simply for being, in my Warholian way, uncommitted.  I long ago gave up on what an old friend of mine used to refer to as 'isms and schisms', and have read everyone from Malcolm X to Ayn Rand, taking in a lot of now unfashionable chaps like Vance Packard along the way. 
When it comes to clothing, though, I sometimes doubt whether those two magical words 'Ivy' and 'League' can now sprinkle much in the way of moondust.

#12 2022-06-18 08:51:13

Sammy Ambrose

Robbie B said: "I've checked out DW on a number of occasions and I tend to agree with AFS. Not many posters on there that I feel I would enjoy meeting in a pub and sharing a few pints."

DW has posters from all over the world Robbie. They don't all live in Macclesfield so the chance of a few  pints in a Wetherspoons is unlikely anyway.
So why not give it a go and share your Ivy know how?

Woof has joined already and I'm sure will be adding his knowledge And  Yuca is there regularly banging on his bongos. Come on, Robbie!

#13 2022-06-18 12:50:36

AFS

Oh, I imagined Woof would simply be taking up golf, reminiscing down at the club house, then returning home to iron his vast collection of underpants.  I didn't realise he'd jumped ship, the little rascal.

#14 2022-06-18 12:51:11

Runninggeez

Posters might like to know that there is a dedicated thread on DW for their discussions.  The software allows the posting of pics.

If I want to post photo's I'll use my Instagram account, I don't need Dressed Well for that.

#15 2022-06-18 13:01:01

AFS

Well said, R.

#16 2022-06-18 21:25:02

Sammy Ambrose

Runninggeez said:

If I want to post photo's I'll use my Instagram account, I don't need Dressed Well for that.

AFS  said:

Well said, R.

------------------

Well, have you heard of a word called 'interaction ', ol' chums?

#17 2022-06-19 00:19:01

AFS

Posters on 'Talk Ivy' have been interacting again since last autumn.

#18 2022-06-19 01:58:10

AFS

Navigating DW is never much of a pleasure.  Then, when you finally get there, you find nothing much other than smug carping and point-scoring.
The Shooman is often worth a read, however, as he is, still, on 'Talk Ivy'.  Grateful to him for leading me to Dachstein.  My old bones will surely benefit.

#19 2022-06-19 02:58:55

Yuca

I agree with a lot of the criticisms of DW, however I also have my issues with this forum. Consequently, and after careful calculations, I have decided to continue to post in both forums, with a posting ratio of 76.8 to 23.2, TI to DW.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#20 2022-06-19 03:25:48

Tworussellstreet

If it kicked off outside the Wetherspoons of Woof's and Kingy's dreams I know for sure Talk Ivy would take Dressed Well no problem. In the breast pocket of the bloodied DW punter I would leave my calling card 'You Have Been Out-Ivyied By The Boys From Talk Ivy'.

#21 2022-06-19 04:09:47

Runninggeez

Well, have you heard of a word called 'interaction ', ol' chums?

Not only do I interact on here but believe it or not on IG as well. Pop into the 21st century, you might like it.

#22 2022-06-19 06:49:32

Kingston1an

‘DW has posters from all over the world.’

DW has a fake ‘Russell Street’. I am not sure what make of that.

There are decent posters over there. They know who they are.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#23 2022-06-19 07:44:59

RobbieB

2RS - If it did kick off outside a Wetherspoons are you sure Woof would be on the TI side? I picture Woof standing in the middle, dazzled and confused, tasering all around him and upholding the law.
Us TI boys, kitted out with work wear, would have an advantage over the DW dandies.

Last edited by RobbieB (2022-06-19 07:46:37)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#24 2022-06-19 09:20:57

AFS

Woof would offer everyone a pair of his natural shoulder, hook vented, flap and patch pocket, raised seam underpants as a peace offering.

#25 2022-06-19 11:50:05

Tworussellstreet

I'll wear me Red Wings, and I've got a freshly shaved head. We'd take those ponces no problem.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Ivy and Trad dedicated thread on Dressed Well

Board footer