You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Ivy and Trad dedicated thread on Dressed Well

#51 2022-06-26 06:48:39

Kingston1an

Re: Ivy and Trad dedicated thread on Dressed Well

Maybe DW could use posters who still actually talk about clothes, as suggested in the forum name.

It seems to be increasingly news and current affairs - Ukraine, corona virus, gun control etc. etc.

I don’t care what Billy Eyelash says about Roe V Wade. However, DW are now obsessed about this sort of stuff, in a sort of ‘right on’ cancel-culture sort of way. The normal posters like Pimpy just get shouted down on these type of issues.

At least on styleforum all that American politics crap was boxed off in a completely different current affairs section. Same with Ask Andy.

Also too American. Phil Spector posts on famous people who have died. Lots of minor US TV folk I have never heard of. Not a word about Lester Piggott though.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#52 2022-06-26 10:27:23

Sammy Ambrose

^^^

I haven't seen any posts from you in a while, Kingstonian. When I joined around the time we all learned of JFM's demise, you were a regular.

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#53 2022-06-26 10:29:58

AFS

Of course we still have Yuca, our very own cancel-culture type, for harmless entertainment when the mood takes him.
He gets grumpier and grumpier, like some involuntary celibate.

#54 2022-06-26 10:37:49

AFS

Oh, and Sammy, together his his gunslinging friend, Doggy, has been doing his level best to piss all over 'Talk Ivy' since last autumn.  He clearly hates the fact it exists in any form whatever.  Even one of his latest recruits, the Artist Once Known as Woof-Woof, timed him out for a while before finally accepting the thirty pieces of silver. 
Anyone with eyes can see that DW is vastly, supremely inferior to now basic sites like AAAC.
As I said elsewhere, life in the old dog yet.
And, in memory of JFM, bollocks to Trad.

#55 2022-06-27 02:20:12

Runninggeez

@AFS, they (DW) need a good conversation starter like your good self to talk about cloths, it appears to be focused more on politics.

#56 2022-06-27 02:23:46

AFS

Thank you, R, that's very kind of you.  I do my best (even Sammy, I think, acknowledges that).  In fact, I used to very much like AAAC years ago for that very reason you refer to: it was about clothes.  Okay, a kind of Q&A format but no standing on various soapboxes, trying to see who can shout the loudest.  Maybe somebody gets a prize at the end of it all.

#57 2022-06-27 02:25:37

Tworussellstreet

Sammy and the boys debate abortion. Think I'll pass on that one.

#58 2022-06-27 02:26:27

AFS

^ You and me both.

#59 2022-06-27 02:38:45

AFS

Of course, they do have the odd chunter over on DW about Harrington jackets and chinos, if that appeals to you.  You even get to see a sample of said Harrington jackets neatly laid out on laminate flooring.  The navy and olive (no contrast piping) underpants collection may appear in due course, sparking off a dedicated thread on DW.

#60 2022-06-27 10:45:25

doghouse

'together his his gunslinging friend, Doggy'

huh? I don't believe I've said anything about TI beyond your manic posting. I have had several good friends from here over the years.

Btw, all the politics at DW are in the politics forum. No idea where anyone is getting the idea otherwise. The clothes forum is just for clothes.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#61 2022-06-27 11:01:03

Kingston1an

‘Btw, all the politics at DW are in the politics forum. No idea where anyone is getting the idea otherwise. The clothes forum is just for clothes.’

The politics forum pervades the whole site. Just click on ‘new posts’ and see what crops up.

Styleforum and AAAC don’t operate like that. I am oblivious to what those sites say about politics if I don’t go into the sub forums. They don’t have an overall new posts function which somewhat gives the game away. Not much new content that features clothes now.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#62 2022-06-27 11:08:23

Yuca

'Of course we still have Yuca, our very own cancel-culture type, for harmless entertainment when the mood takes him.
He gets grumpier and grumpier, like some involuntary celibate.'

Man who devotes every day to posting manically and in tedious, repetitive detail about how he hates everyone and everything accuses someone else of being grumpy. The lack of self-awareness would be shocking if we hadn't seen it all already.

And incidentally, you're the one whose politics are closest to cancel culture. Likewise, the incels are right wingers.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#63 2022-06-27 11:09:33

Kingston1an

Give my regards to Pimpy who valiantly attempts to address DW politics rants.

He will probably realise he is wasting his time soon. They don’t do reasoned debate. His recent reply to one loon :-

“Why would anyone answer a question so ridiculous, or have to prostrate themselves to you or anyone else to prove their innocence to whatever it is you accuse me of, sorry don't play that game:

#64 2022-06-27 11:32:31

Yuca

'Sammy and the boys debate abortion. Think I'll pass on that one.'

You can look closer to home for a thoughtful, timely take on recent events, which AFS was kind enough to share on this thread yesterday. I quote:

'They're now having a lovely time pontificating on abortion in the United States.  As KingstonIan has said, Social Justice Warriors.

Pass the soapbox.'

#65 2022-06-27 13:59:20

doghouse

' Just click on ‘new posts’ and see what crops up.'

Uh, no? Why would I do that?

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#66 2022-06-27 14:40:32

Kingston1an

‘' Just click on ‘new posts’ and see what crops up.'

Uh, no? Why would I do that?’

Because there are no new posts under ‘Men’s Clothing’ since Saturday !!

(Apart from one from forum stalwart Pimpy - yesterday at 4:05am).

Last edited by Kingston1an (2022-06-27 14:41:35)

#67 2022-06-27 15:20:42

doghouse

I show several. But regardless I still have no idea why you would go to new posts if you don't want to see whole forum .  I keep the Men's Clothing forum as my open window fwiw

#68 2022-06-28 01:40:06

Tworussellstreet

Lonely anonymous middle-aged men grouped together with no external mediating element is a clearly problematic dynamic. It's just about OK when we bicker about clothes, but when the bigger things in life are up for debate well look away, because the dick swinging gets ugly.

#69 2022-06-28 01:57:58

AFS

Yuca, as a dick, is certainly swinging.  Must be all that Latin jazz.

#70 2022-06-28 03:37:43

Runninggeez

Think they should rename the Forum, Dressed Well for Politics.

#71 2022-06-28 03:49:24

Skipper

The reasons for this forum being a mere shadow of its former self have been widely debated.

From a psychological point of view, it is extremely interesting to observe how some users ignore reality here.

From all other points of view it is tragic.

#72 2022-06-28 03:50:38

Yuca

AFS is unintelligible but I'm sure it's a compliment.

#73 2022-06-29 11:39:32

Tworussellstreet

AFS has more intellectual energy than the combined posters of AAAC/DW and all the other moronic men's chatting shops put together.  Post Frosty Mellor he's the only one who thinks beyond the cliches about the often banal world of men's clothing. And now I look back on Chensvold's time at Ivy Style I can see that he too was a good, energetic journalist who made a really substantial contribution. Not so keen on the new bloke's work however.

#74 2022-06-29 12:15:21

RobbieB

AFS certainly keeps this site ticking over and comes up with a few gems, including posts from the past. I've checked out DressedWell on several occasions but it doesn't really gel with me. I'm only interested in Ivy stuff and DW doesn't really satisfy on that front. I don't get why Woof went over to posting there, except for the photos aspect.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#75 2022-06-29 12:18:41

AFS

I am hugely grateful to the above posters for their support.

My rather scabrous sense of humour is sometimes misplaced but no actual offence is meant.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Ivy and Trad dedicated thread on Dressed Well

Board footer