You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » One For Alvey: Sinatra In 'Young At Heart'

#1 2022-07-09 07:20:00

AFS

One For Alvey: Sinatra In 'Young At Heart'

Watched last evening...  Not much Ivy in the movie, aside from a 'letter sweater', but Frankie wears his hat, suit, shirt and tie like a prince.  He first appears framed in a doorway, back to the camera.  Then he turns...  'iconic' moment... 
His is a brooding presence through two-thirds of what is otherwise a pretty lightweight movie (though with excellent music, from Carolyn Leigh, Ira Gershwin, Cole Porter and others).  One has to put up with Doris ('I knew her before she was a virgin) Day but, hey ho, man was born to suffer. 
TRS would hate this movie.  All Eisenhower era sweetness and light with big cars and roses round the door. 
I quite liked it.

#2 2022-07-09 12:28:54

AFS

Re: One For Alvey: Sinatra In 'Young At Heart'

Much of the other clothing on display I would describe as 'American Gentleman': possibly Knox hats.  Nearly every man is wearing a tie and almost certainly some form of plain, heavy, conservative footwear.  A look to be seen in any number of Hollywood movies of that period - before Ivy League went mainstream.

#3 2022-07-11 14:51:41

AFS

Alvey?

#4 2022-07-11 15:09:27

AlveySinger

Apologies for not jumping in I've been at a three day Jazz Funk and Soul festival.

Golden age Sinatra. He was back in the big time having recently signed with Capitol. Voice was more refined than it had been at Columbia.He looks great too

Young at Heart looks great with all those strong Techniccolor flourishes but sadly I hate with a passion DD's voice. Far too sweet. I even tried her attempt at Torch Songs with Andre Previn. It's OK.

#5 2022-07-12 04:05:48

AFS

I read, very recently, that Doris Day was a very underrated jazz vocalist.  When was any evidence forthcoming?  Of course she's the worst aspect of the movie, grinning like an idiot all over the place: even more vapid than Debbie Reynolds.  That was the non-Monroe/Mansfield/Van Doren 50s for you.  Hollywood took a nose-dive in the 40s from which it never recovered.  I blame the advent of Hayworth and Bacall: all right to look at but totally without class.

#6 2022-07-12 06:09:52

AlveySinger

Her background was with Les Brown's orchestra famous of course for Sentimental Journey. Another load of sentimental clap trap.
I find her voice too syrupy for my tastes.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » One For Alvey: Sinatra In 'Young At Heart'

Board footer