You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-11 12:05:39

AFS

Sweet Georgie Fame

Speaking of England and the 1960s, how do we rate Georgie Fame?  He was the first singer I ever sacrificed sweet money for, saving up to buy 'The Ballad Of Bonnie And Clyde' from the Co-Op record department (followed, a good while after, by The Kinks 'Apeman').  I last listened to Georgie quite a few years ago and thought he was still great.  So, back in the day, did Valerie Wilmer - and she was no pushover.

#2 2022-07-11 12:12:48

AFS

Re: Sweet Georgie Fame

The 'Bonnie And Clyde' thing BTW appealed to me as a child, never as an adult.

#3 2022-07-11 14:45:36

Ematt

Saw him live maybe five years ago. He talked way too much between songs, gave his hits the swerve and came across a touch on the angry side. At one point he randomly shouted out, "fame is bullshit", which startled the first few rows of a packed theatre. He still sounded decent though and i still regularly play his 60s and early 70s stuff.

#4 2022-07-11 14:50:39

AFS

Perhaps still distraught about the death of his wife?

#5 2022-07-11 15:32:33

AlveySinger

Genius. You can come at his music from so many angles.

To me what stands out is the way he has taken several established musical styles and managed to create his own cohesive sound.
There's wonderful album called something like Georgie Fame Heard Them First Here. It's a compilation of all the original artists recordings that he covered.Ska, Jazz, R&B even the pop of Paul Anka's Eso Beso.

On Youtube you can find a live studio type show where he talks about his early history including many tales of playing in Soho. The music that accompanies the stories are all beautifully crafted.

He is, together with Bar Italia, a figment of all that is left of the mystical Modernist Soho.

If you listen to his track Vinyl he also name checks the greatly missed Rays Jazz. I know he is a big fan of Basie at Birdland.

In the late Nineties he had two short lived radio shows on BBC Radio 2. He introduced me to some truly wonderful recordings including Shearing with Peggy Lee Do I love You, Joe Williams A Swinging Night at Birdland featuring Harry Edison, Oscar Brown Jnr Sin and Soul album, Eddie Jefferson take the A train and Jimmy Witherspoon (taken from Mod Jazz 1)

I am seeing him at Ronnies in September and can't wait.

#6 2022-07-12 00:23:41

AFS

I'd forgotten all about Eso Beso!  Joyous stuff.
My Dad was a Rays customer for many years. 
I'll be checking that YouTube material out later today.  Thanks for the tip, Alvey.
I think TRS is a fan - and the mention of Bar Italia will stir his juices!

#7 2022-07-12 02:02:15

Tworussellstreet

"Sock it to 'em Georgie!" shouted an old 60s mod to Mr.Powell as he worked his B-3 the last time I saw him at Ronnie's, which was probably about 10 years ago. I saw him in Bar Italia a few years ago, the snaps of which are on my Instagram page. I think he's wonderful actually, the way he pulls together so many styles and comes up with his own sound and feel. He embodies what was good about that 'High Mod-Flamingo' period when black American culture fed into the whole scene.

#8 2022-07-12 02:28:16

AFS

When exactly did that feeding-in period begin?  Why and how?  Some might say it developed out of visiting GIs, both black and white, during and shortly after WW2.  The arrival of black immigrants kind of crossed over, although I read only last week of a fair-sized black community in London before 1914.  The author failed to say where it was located.  I'd love to know how Georgie managed to tap into that so successfully.  Was he the only white performer to do so? 
I once met a black guy who'd been part of his backing band.  He gave me a fair-sized shellacking for browsing the blues section in HMV.  'That's all you white boys know...'

#9 2022-07-12 04:28:48

Staxfan

I saw Georgie at the Flamingo around 15 years ago, superb, even my Wife who was reluctant to go enjoyed it, as we were leaving he was outside having a smoke, I managed to shake hands with the great man, there were a fair few old mods there that night, I may see if my Daughter would like to go to Ronnie's in September, my Wife won't ! Zoot Money ( & his ' Big Roll Band') was a contemporary of GF but not as successful, I persuaded a group of friends to go see Zoot in Reading 10-12 yrs ago, very small venue, no entourage for Zoot, he strolled in with what was probably all his belongings in a carrier bag, wasn't good, we left after 10 minutes,

#10 2022-07-12 05:25:14

AFS

I'd entirely forgotten about Zoot Money, just as I had about a figure like Long John Baldry or Alexis Korner.  I guess they were more or less contemporaries of Georgie. 
I must reach for one of the CDs - too wrapped up with Blossom Dearie and Bill Evans recently: day in, day out.

#11 2022-07-13 04:08:16

AlveySinger

I was digging through the GF recordings I own and was surprised by how diverse they are.
A jazz quartet, a tribute to Hoagy Carmichael, a BBC big band album, contemporary Blues. The list goes on.
The guy has tremendous tatste.

#12 2022-07-13 04:50:24

Yuca

'I persuaded a group of friends to go see Zoot in Reading 10-12 yrs ago, very small venue, no entourage for Zoot, he strolled in with what was probably all his belongings in a carrier bag, wasn't good, we left after 10 minutes,'

So no longer a big time operator.

(Whatever the hell that ever meant.)

Last edited by Yuca (2022-07-13 04:51:06)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#13 2022-07-13 04:54:01

AFS

Point ^
I might prefer to see Zoot with his carrier bag than Jagger with his dressing-room, groupies, hangers-on.
Something to be said for small scale, low key, unassuming.

#14 2022-07-13 11:11:46

Tworussellstreet

Zoot Money and Madeline Bell were Georgie's guests on stage the night I went to see him. I also think Speedy, his bongo player, was in the audience. Georgie's musical palate is exquisite.

#15 2022-07-13 11:14:32

Tworussellstreet

BTW, that Charlie Watts documentary on BBC iplayer is really very good indeed. Lots about his love of jazz and his fastidiousness in all areas, especially his clothes. And the best bit? That bloody word 'modernist' was not used once. What a meaningless word that has become, even though, ironically, Charlie really was a genuine, erm, modernist.

#16 2022-07-13 11:31:36

AFS

I'm only sorry that I can't summon up the enthusiasm to bugger about with iplayer.  But I never can/could. 
Would it be fair to say that Charlie began and ended well but wobbled around 1969?  The hair and all... 
As for the word 'Modernist', I don't think I've heard it applied to music unless it was, say, Stravinsky, Debussy, Berg.  Not jazz.  Only 'modern'.

#17 2022-07-13 13:28:51

AFS

I'm quite wrong about the word 'Modernism' not being used as a jazz term, as John Fordham's book on Ronnie Scott demonstrates.

#18 2022-07-13 14:09:46

Yuca

The music of today often gets criticised in comparison to that of the past, but Big Time Operator may well have the most inane lyrics ever written.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#19 2022-07-13 14:21:00

AFS

Yuca's right: sophisticated they are not, not unlike (perhaps) some of the stinkers Duke Ellington penned.  One of his biographers, James Lincoln Collier, is pretty unsparing about that aspect of Duke's output.  The lyrics to Billy Strayhorn's 'Satin Doll', written by Johnny Mercer, I adore: especially when sung by Billy Eckstine. 
Some of the early bebop singing is a little inane (although often quite enjoyable).

#20 2022-07-14 07:26:26

Staxfan

AFS - Charlie Watts documentary is live on BBC2 @ 9pm on Saturday 23 July if you can't figure out the i player before then,

#21 2022-07-14 07:55:51

RobbieB

Thanks for the tip Stax. I don't have a TV licence as I don't watch live TV but I might have to rig up my aerial to watch that.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#22 2022-07-18 02:32:44

Staxfan

I've booked tickets for GF @ Ronnie's on Saturday 10-September, I've persuaded my Daughter & Son, ( both in their 40's), to come with me, not totally sure what they'll make of it ! might see you there Alvey if that's the day you're going ,

#23 2022-07-18 02:53:36

RobbieB

I've always had a soft spot for Georgie Fame especially when I found out that he played and lived in the Essex Arms pub, Silvertown at the start of his career. It was a pub I suspect my ancestors used. He played to a tough audience of dockers but I reckon they would have given a young boy like him a break.

Georgie Fame once said that his audience at the Flamingo was mostly made up of ‘Black American GIs, West Indians, pimps, prostitutes and gangsters.’
The Flamingo must have been a tougher gig. Ha.

Surprised your missus isn't interested Stax. It will be interesting what your boy and girl make of the show. Is GF still in reasonable shape? Some older artistes around today should probably call it a day.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#24 2022-07-18 03:02:46

Tworussellstreet

Georgie is a kind of grumpy charmer. Walks with a stick now. An old man, but forever a cool cat...

#25 2022-07-18 03:46:39

AndyV

Enjoyable listen - in two parts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s8brc

Board footer