You are not logged in.

#26 2022-07-18 04:05:50

Staxfan

Re: Sweet Georgie Fame

Surprised your missus isn't interested Stax. It will be interesting what your boy and girl make of the show.

For Christmas last my Missus said she wanted to do something for me with the Kids, maybe a West End show or something, I like going to the theatre but there was nothing much on that attracted me, when Alvey mentioned GF was at Ronnie's in September I took a look, I mentioned it to my Daughter when we visited over the weekend and she liked the idea, if nothing else to visit Ronnie's,( & leave the kids with her husband !), She has an interest in all the old stuff I like, particularly the 60's, she's got a load of my era soul music on her phone, my Son not so much but I ran it by him and he said he'd like to come,yes it will be interesting to see what they think of it, there'll be lunch and several drink stops before & after the gig, ( we're doing the 5:30 just for ease of getting home - 1 hr or so from Waterloo),
My Missus has been before, she enjoyed it but wouldn't necessarily want to go again,
and TRS is right, GF is forever a cool cat,

#27 2022-07-18 05:04:13

RobbieB

AndyV- Indeed an enjoyable listen, particularly the Q and A section in part 2. Didn't realise GF was influenced in buying his organ by 'Green Onions' recording.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#28 2022-07-18 05:15:25

RobbieB

In 1966 they used to play Green Onions at the Ilford Palais and I always assumed it was recorded then and not in 1962. Booker T and the MGs feature on the record Hit 67 Stax but with songs Grooving and Hip Hug Her.

#29 2022-07-18 07:28:42

Staxfan

In 1966 they used to play Green Onions at the Ilford Palais -

Would that have been on a Saturday morning for aspiring ( under 16's) mod kids ?, I went a few times to the Hammersmith Palais at that time , haha

#30 2022-07-18 07:47:37

RobbieB

I think it was Saturday afternoon (or was it morning?) for us and only under 16s. I used to go with a schoolmate. I can still remember the quite pleasant smell of the place.I graduated to Sunday nights and the bar when I was 15. We used to dress as make pretend mods. Great music. My mate who was music mad now wears a hearing aid !

#31 2022-07-18 09:39:31

AlveySinger

Stax,
I'm doing the early show on Friday. Can't wait
Bit confusing tbh.
I asked what time he was coming on and was told 6.30 (doors open an hour beforehand)
It seams  very early and then I asked about the second set and the ability to buy a ticket for that on the night and was told I need to go outside for half an hour.
I need to look at trains back to Birmingham closer to the time. With rail disruption it's pretty unpredictable.
It all feels like the 70's again.

#32 2022-07-18 10:02:08

Staxfan

Robbie - yeah I went with a mate from school as well, see we were on the same wavelength even then, haha,
Alvey - oh that's a shame we'll miss each other , there's 2 trains an hour ex Waterloo back to Wokingham, ( where I live), last one around 11 pm, so it would be very tight if we'd gone for the later show, if the trains are buggered it'd be reasonable for 3 persons in a cab, I'm sure my Son would have an uber app !

#33 2022-07-22 14:37:38

Spendthrift

A few years before they met, Georgie was my mum’s pin up. And my dad used to see him regularly at The Flamingo. Annoyingly, he’s unsure as to whether there was ever any mention or sign of recording at the place, so I like to think he could be one of the ‘Nice, Nice, Nice’ mods you can hear on the live LP.

‘Yeah Yeah’ wasn’t big on the mod scene in my time, but ‘Somebody Stole My Thunder’ and ‘Seventh Son’ were massive floor fillers.

I’ve never seen him live, which I’ll surely regret. As I do passing on several chances to see John Lee Hooker, Stevie Marriott and Toots Hibbert.

#34 2022-07-22 14:42:58

An Unseen Scene

Sweet Thing went big on the Soul scene. That Ace/Kent of Georgie Heard Them First was nice a few years back.

#35 2022-09-11 03:19:21

Staxfan

Alvey - did you make the show on Friday ? , I had a great day out yesterday with my two 40 something kids, a few drinks, lunch and then onto Ronnie’s for the early show, Georgie was excellent,

#36 2022-09-11 09:50:53

AlveySinger

Apologies Stax just noticed this having posting something Fame related on Autumn topic.

Totally agree. Excellent.

I am still coming down from the gig.  I can't believe the high quality of the show given his age.

I was never a fan of I put spell on you until hearing his version. Blew me away.

The guy has more charisma is his little finger than most of the big name acts I've seen over the years.

The story telling alone was worth the price of admission.

What has annoyed me immensely is someone on Insta has posted that his show is just covers. The chap in question very rarly has anything positive to say

#37 2022-09-11 10:27:57

Staxfan

My Daughter mentioned this morning that she liked the story telling part , she messaged me this afternoon and said 'thank you' for turning her onto jazz and Ronnie Scott's, quite something really as previously any mention of jazz and the response I always got from her and her brother was ' nice' like the John Thompson jazzer in what I think was the Fast Show, you don't go to see an artist like GF to hear a load of new material, and you're right it was high quality and for a guy pushing 80 his voice was amazing, nice ,

#38 2022-09-12 02:08:19

Runninggeez

Quote: What has annoyed me immensely is someone on Insta has posted that his show is just covers. The chap in question very rarly has anything positive to say

Ha ha, I bet I know who that is.

#39 2022-09-12 02:51:15

Spendthrift

That Wayne fella's such a drag. I thought Alvie's one word response to him on Insta was brilliant.

I've never seen Georgie live - but how brilliant that unlike other acts of his generation he doesn't have to rely on churning out 'the hits' and can keep entertaining the punters, and himself sane, by playing standards in his own style.

#40 2022-09-12 03:49:01

Runninggeez

Georgie Fame doesn't have a back catalogue like Paul McCartney.

He probably did do covers, but the question is was it good night ? Sounds like it was, so who gives a monkeys what a certain person thought.

Wish I'd gone.

#41 2022-09-12 04:28:40

Spendthrift

Georgie Fame covering 'Live and Let Die'. There's a thought....

The thing is he's always done covers live. His seminal 60's LP R&B At The Flamingo is all covers I think? It's what he's always done live and what people expect of him.

Apart from Wayne from Buckhurst Hill who was THE original modernist on Wednesday 4th April 1543 and refuses to aknowledge that anything that happened after that date is legitimate.

Annoyingly I think he's pretty stylish for an old fella.

#42 2022-09-12 04:51:17

Runninggeez

You could have a whole thread on WFBH.

He can be stylish, but more often or not he can look ridiculous.

#43 2022-09-12 10:32:35

AlveySinger

So here's a thought.

Back in the days of Tin Pan Alley a writer would craft a song in the hope it was published and potentially picked up by an artist or band.
Sometimes the song would be recorded by several different artists who'd put there own slant on the song. At no point did we call these covers.
I'm not talking about lazy or inconsequential musicians but the likes of Sinatra who to my knowledge didn't write.
We didn't denigrate a singer for this. It was the expected norm.

How about Ella who recorded the legendary songbook series. Do we ignore their majesty simply because the songs had been sung previously - often many years before she recorded them?

I can not sing, read music or write lyrics. It's a noble art and hate to see an artist criticised in this manner.

#44 2022-09-12 10:52:29

Runninggeez

The only time I was disappointed by a singer doing covers was when I went to see Jean Carne in the mid 80's, whether she was misguided, but those of us that went were all hoping to hear her Philadelphia International recordings but what we got was Jocelyn Brown's Somebody Else's Guy & Lionel Richie's All Night Long, both of which were dreadful.

#45 2022-09-12 12:05:02

Spendthrift

Good point Alvey. I was chatting about Buddy Holly the other day. Saying people forget how unusual it was back then for an artist to write and perform their own stuff. Elvis certainly wasn’t known for his songwriting. And where would we be without Nina’s takes on songs other artists had had a go at?

I think the snobbery started with certain quarters getting sniffy about The Stones and Beatles doing covers. Might be wrong though.

#46 2022-09-12 14:05:40

FlatSixC

Runningeez - ‘ You could have a whole thread on WFBH’

Having looked at his IG I can say that I have seen him about, he likes a beret which confers an instant cool hepcat image, if you are able to pull it off - I never could. A beret does take a fair bit of panache to wear and it’s very easy to veer into absurdness territory.Whilst perusing his IG I did find myself dwelling on the senior crumpet in her skimpies, whilst at the same time wondering why you would want to post that up on social media.

#47 2022-09-12 14:40:19

Runninggeez

FlatSixC : Whilst perusing his IG I did find myself dwelling on the senior crumpet in her skimpies, whilst at the same time wondering why you would want to post that up on social media.

With WFBH it's Quantity not Quality.

#48 2022-09-12 16:23:07

AlveySinger

I'm sure he is nice to small children and animals...

... but I find the nonsense around what constitutes Mod, what the originals had for breakfast and his somewhat negative views tiresome.

Social media should be social

#49 2022-09-12 16:30:43

AlveySinger

Anyhow back to the gig.

I thought the Guy Barker big band were superb. The special guest was Jim Mullen, who as youngster played an important part in my personal musical journey with the Morrissey Mullen Band. Possibly the best Uk Jazz Funk band. For anyone not familiar with MM check out the track Slipstream.

No doubt given his location Mr Runninggeez saw them on the famous Home Counties Jazz Funk circuit.

#50 2022-09-13 00:32:41

Tim

Aaaah, the chap from Buckhurst Hill, self-proffessed Legend and Style Icon.
If he’s got the gall to give out about Georgie Fame, it’s high time someone reminded him of his own musical career..

https://youtu.be/DzIyGwmAhCI

Board footer