You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-26 01:50:31

Tworussellstreet

Ivy Life After Andy

Looks like he's gone again. Sob. It was often a tempestuous relationship, as many are, but it was rarely boring. I hope he's on a beach in the Med sipping a pina colada, planning to unleash a thousand new topics, but I fear he's had enough of the bickering, and the indifference, and decided to spend his spare time with his head in a good book. If you're lurking out there Andy - all the best old chum and hope you call back soon.

#2 2022-07-26 04:50:09

Staxfan

Re: Ivy Life After Andy

He certainly kept things ticking along ,

#3 2022-07-26 07:38:42

RobbieB

I hope he is ok. He seemed to show signs of OCD, but then I think it's almost a requirement for membership of this 'club'.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#4 2022-07-26 07:48:59

Spendthrift

AFS’s head must have been buzzing with ivy 24/7. He definitely kept things ticking over, and put up an almost heroic last stand in the face of overwhelming DW odds recently, armed only with what we can all see is a crumbling site, at a time when interest in any internet forum (unless it has a massive natural turnover, like mumsnet or DIY/football whatever) is low.
He clearly hated a lot of things I loved, and not being one for pointless internet arguments, I chose to just keep out. If three or four other people did the same that would explain the odd posts that he would open, argue and close all by himself.
I’d like to think he lost interest, sent all his clothes to charity and is digging his jazz dressed in a hoodie, trackies and a pair of Reeboks.

#5 2022-07-26 08:58:01

Tworussellstreet

"overwhelming DW odds" - hilarious! If this place is asleep then DW is stone cold dead. I found his ability to think around the topic of 'Ivy' fascinating. To be able to dig so deep and come up with new ideas and new readings indicated his was a serious, and no doubt somewhat frustrated, intellect. Dysfunction pushes the world along. The well-adjusted just shrug and laugh, but they make little mark on things.

#6 2022-07-26 10:05:29

Spendthrift

In which case I hope he’s somewhere redirecting his time and massive intellect into something of more worth than music and trousers (shrug - laugh).

#7 2022-07-26 10:34:02

Runninggeez

The best conversation starter on here, no wonder DW wanted him over there, I mean has anyone had look recently ? Haven't seen hardly any clothing threads, and their Ivy thread seems to have dried up.

#8 2022-07-26 10:42:44

Runninggeez

Quote Robbie, "I hope he is ok. He seemed to show signs of OCD, but then I think it's almost a requirement for membership of this 'club"

After watching the Charlie Watts episode "My Life as a Rolling Stone" he would've fitted in here quite nicely, clothes, shoes & Jazz with a little bit of OCD thrown in.

I saw some of his traits in myself.

#9 2022-07-26 12:24:20

AlveySinger

Great guy, sadly missed.
A true gent into the bargain.
No doubt chilling out with a stack of New York cabaret discs.

#10 2022-08-02 17:32:53

Yuca

I suspect he found a jazz forum and is spending his time posting on there.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#11 2022-08-04 06:59:00

Skipper

Does anyone know the whereabouts of stanshall? Is he active somewhere else? His contributions were among the most interesting here.

#12 2022-08-05 20:58:04

Sammy Ambrose

Skipper said : (AFS's)contributions were among the most interesting here.

They were indeed. A genuinely knowedgable good and cool guy.

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#13 2022-08-06 05:06:27

FlatSixC

Runningeez ‘ The best conversation starter on here, no wonder DW wanted him over there, I mean has anyone had look recently ? Haven't seen hardly any clothing threads, and their Ivy thread seems to have dried up.’

I’ve been following this forum for a while.

There was a quantity v quality aspect, rather than starting a conversation a lot of the time he seemed to be having a conversation with himself, a lot of the time no one replied to his posts many of which were so cryptic and vague as to be unintelligible.

There isn’t much interest in Ivy clothing on DW it’s true, but the forum works and people can post images. I think Woofboxer was hoping members from here would follow him over and set up an independent Ivy republic, like the Pilgrim Fathers voyage to The New World to seek a place where they could practice their religion freely (Ivy is a religion isn’t it?). However his ship looks to have foundered on a rocky shore and he’s probably scanning the horizon for a friendly sail.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2022-08-06 05:07:34)

#14 2022-08-06 06:14:15

Kingston1an

‘There was a quantity v quality aspect, rather than starting a conversation a lot of the time he seemed to be having a conversation with himself, a lot of the time no one replied to his posts many of which were so cryptic and vague as to be unintelligible.’

Andy had a very good posting style. Even his rawmaish was worth reading and usually far more interesting than the average poster on clothing forums.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#15 2022-08-06 07:14:52

FlatSixC

Kingston1an - ‘ Andy had a very good posting style.’

Perhaps his posts exposed my shallow knowledge and intellect!

#16 2022-08-06 07:33:04

RobbieB

I reckon AFS had a scattergun approach to posting. A bit hit and miss but sometimes it resonated with me and other times it went completely over my head, or made no sense, to me. Hope he returns after his sabbatical.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#17 2022-08-06 09:53:12

FlatSixC

‘ Even his rawmaish was worth reading and usually far more interesting than the average poster on clothing forums’

His reports of his extra mural sexual activities were entertaining reading, the ninth item he had bought on ebay that day not so much.

#18 2022-08-06 12:23:12

Runninggeez

I think I would rather read Andy's scattergun approach than that of the bitchy dross on DW. They appear to come across as some sort of superior
know-it-alls.

I wouldn't last 5 minutes as I favour polo shirts or OCBD's with jeans, which I gather is a cardinal sin in their little world. But then some of them may have Dad bods, so they couldn't carry it off anyway.

If this forum fails, (which I sincerely hope it doesn't) I'll just carry on with IG.

You also have to remember Andy's approach was possibly hit them with 10 or 12 threads and we'll get at least 2-3 good conversations started.

Last edited by Runninggeez (2022-08-06 12:23:58)

#19 2022-08-07 06:44:07

Tworussellstreet

Andy was an erratic but brilliant poster. He has disappeared before and returned years later. This forum will have gone, or many of us will have croaked, by the time he attempts a return. He liked a feud, and winding people up, but the likes of Woofy and Yuca really should have just turned the other cheek and laughed it off. The notion of a rival Ivy forum on Dressed Well has always been laughable. For all its current feebleness Talk Ivy is an amazing archive of ideas, cultural and social history, controversy, madness and much more. Dressed Well is a few blokes talking nonsense - no spirit, no ideas, no originality. Utterly banal, it is devoid of meaning.

#20 2022-08-07 15:22:35

FlatSixC

Tworussellstreet.   ‘ The notion of a rival Ivy forum on Dressed Well has always been laughable.’

The Ivy Club forum on DW was started six weeks ago (check the date) so ‘always’ is a pretty short period of time in this instance. A meaningless remark forming part of a meaningless diatribe similar to those you launch about pubs. You don’t like something = it is bad.

There is little interest in Ivy clothing on DW it’s true, in fact there is little interest in any sort of clothing, the most active sections concern politics and current affairs.

The value of any internet forum is determined by the people who are contributing members of that forum. So if the active members of this barely functional forum were to migrate to a fully functioning Ivy forum on DW in what way would that be a worse arrangement?
Do tell.

There would be a chance of attracting and retaining new members. New members soon get frustrated with the current state of this forum.

Sure there’s a large archive of old threads and photos on here, but as you can’t look at most of it that doesn't count for a lot.

#21 2022-08-07 15:35:10

Sammy Ambrose

FlatSixC said:

'There is little interest in Ivy clothing on DW it’s true, in fact there is little interest in any sort of clothing, the most active sections concern politics and current affairs.'

I can't speak for DW as a whole, but my understanding is that it is collection of people with an interest in menswear and particularly in dressing well who enjoy talking about these things, but also about the world in general, with others who have that common sartorial interest.

Several of the posters on DW were regular posters on FNB and I believe that the Ivy Club section was opened, as you appear to clearly understand,  mainly to give FNB Talk Ivy members an alternative venue given the current technical limitations of this site.

Last edited by Sammy Ambrose (2022-08-07 15:35:43)

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#22 2022-08-07 17:18:32

Runninggeez

The Ivy Club forum on DW was started six weeks ago (check the date)

Hasn't really gathered momentum, has it ? Which means possibly one thing no one over there is remotely interested in an Ivy Style forum. Looks like Woof and Yuca could be flogging a dead horse. Better off back here in my opinion.

#23 2022-08-08 01:23:34

FlatSixC

Runningeez.   ‘ Hasn't really gathered momentum, has it ? Which means possibly one thing no one over there is remotely interested in an Ivy Style forum. Looks like Woof and Yuca could be flogging a dead horse. Better off back here in my opinion.’

People don’t like reading stuff these days, or just ignore the bits they don’t like. Have I not said twice already in this thread that there is little interest in Ivy clothing on DW?

Why are people better off on a forum that doesn’t work properly?

#24 2022-08-08 03:00:23

Tworussellstreet

I just think Talk Ivy has often been witty and clever and all the other forums never are. It this place folds, and it's back on life support, then I just won't bother. There's nobody writing on Dressed Well with anything to say.

#25 2022-08-08 03:20:40

FlatSixC

You’re right there TwoRS, looking back through the old threads on here, even though you can’t read half of it, a newcomer can see that this was once a far more lively and creative place. But you can’t create much if your tools have been nicked!  Even old Barking Woofo is a bit misty eyed about Talk Ivy in his latest post on Dressed Well.

Perhaps the difference is that most of the DW posters are Americans who have, shall we say, a different sense of humour. It needs a few piss takers to shake the place up a bit!

Board footer