You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-29 06:59:12

AlveySinger

IVY AS IT STANDS...

The Ivy options keep on coming.

John Simons has recently introduced a good range of OCBD's. As well as the standard colours you also have an interesting khaki shade, a light green and a few stripes. No doubt we'll soon see the usual superb collection of tweed and cord Ivy jackets, overcoats and blousons.

Kamakura has expanded its Vintage Ivy offer. No longer just about the collaboration with Graham Marsh there are a few new interesting basics and a brighter Sprezz selection. I've found the quality to be very good.

J Press has also expended its Pennant Label range. No doubt most on here are familiar with it. There are a couple of interesting looking college style cardigans now in the mix. The overall style and silhouette reminds me of Ralph's discontinued Rugby range.

Uniqlo recently created a capsule Reyn Spooner collection that sold-out very quickly in certain sizes.

There's still a few good independent menswear stores, throughout the country, that have stuff of relevance - Dicks Edinburgh, Northern Fells, All Blues, Oi Poloi. All have got websites

Cordings is always worth looking - great knitwear, 5 pockets, moleskins and cords.

This Summer there was also a welcome return of some staples from Lands End. Someone I know, and respect their opinions on clothing, purchased from LE a very nice red stripe seersucker shirt pretty cheaply.

If you're willing to hunt around there's till plenty of interesting new stuff out there.

#2 2022-07-29 12:09:01

colin
Bright Light

Re: IVY AS IT STANDS...

Really impressed by the John Simon's ivy shirt and ivy jacket. Having been a little underwhelmed (relatively speaking) in the past, these iterations seem pretty much spot on for me. Very much hoping for a navy cord ivy jacket in the autumn...

#3 2022-07-29 12:18:10

RobbieB

I agree with Alvey that there is plenty of interesting stuff out there.
I'm also pleased with the John Simon's ivy shirt I recently bought and will buying more. I like that he is supplying a Made in England shirt with all the correct details

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#4 2022-07-29 12:41:29

Staxfan

Good summary of the current status Ivy-wise Alvey, I’d seen the Kamakura’s and they look fine, the next shirt on my list is pink, the pink stripe, and light blue stripe look very nice but I’m holding back, haha

#5 2022-07-29 18:35:07

Sammy Ambrose

Colin said:

'Really impressed by the John Simon's ivy shirt? ....'

RobbieB said:

'I'm also pleased with the John Simon's ivy shirt....'

Is this John Simon related to John Simons?

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#6 2022-07-31 00:12:30

Kingston1an

‘There's still a few good independent menswear stores, throughout the country, that have stuff of relevance - Dicks Edinburgh, Northern Fells, All Blues, Oi Poloi. All have got websites’

Thanks for this. I have used Dicks a few times.

I note All Blues have those brushed Shetlands Americans buy at more sensible prices. They also have Kamakura shirts.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#7 2022-07-31 02:15:29

Tworussellstreet

Colin and RobbieB - don't take it personally, Sammy's only literary skill is the correct use of the apostrophe.

#8 2022-07-31 03:48:12

Runninggeez

I would've thought the Ivy thread on DW needed more of Sammy's attention, rather than point scoring sarcasm on here.

#9 2022-07-31 06:33:01

AlveySinger

I genuinely think the influence of Chiltern Street looms large over a number of different stores in the UK.
Madras for example. A few years ago you could only find bits of Madras if you really hunted around for it. Ralph had it occasionally in their larger concessions or their own stores. Even Brooks in the UK had given up.
Then about eight years ago Chiltern Street offers a few own label Madras shirts. Nice details and very affordable at the time. Over the next Summers Madras becomes one of their regular lines. The choice is always good and the styles offered have expanded.
You can now find Madras style shirts everywhere. Not sure how authentic the cloth is in most cases.

#10 2022-07-31 06:39:47

Kingston1an

Uniqlo had some decent Madras half sleeves before Chiltern Street revisited them. The JS sizing was an issue - especially on popovers.

Now even Peter Christian offer a couple of inexpensive Madras shirts. No box pleat but good quality.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#11 2022-07-31 14:40:51

RobbieB

Beat's me what Sammy is on about.

#12 2022-08-01 09:11:44

FlatSixC

#13 2022-08-01 09:12:59

FlatSixC

Pardon the blank post. How does the quote function work?

#14 2022-08-01 09:17:54

AlveySinger

I found the sizing on all the early JSA Chiltern street shirts pretty inconsistent regardless of material.

I had/have a number of their shirts in madras, end on end, cord, Oxford and poplin and the sizing varies from S-L.

The quality has been good though and I'm a sucker for the flap pocket and locker loop.

I looked at the Peter Christian shirts. They look interesting but was unsure about what size to go for.

As for Uniqlo madras I would put that into the bracket of being available if you hunted around. Sadly there isn't one in Brum - home to the worlds largest Primark. Says it all.

#15 2022-08-01 10:27:43

Runninggeez

@FlatSixC, quote function doesn't work unfortunately, copy & paste.

#16 2022-08-01 15:43:11

FlatSixC

FlatSixC, quote function doesn't work unfortunately, copy & paste.

Thanks, worked it out Runningeez.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2022-08-01 15:43:34)

#17 2022-08-02 01:19:43

Tworussellstreet

Loving the name FlatSixC. As you're meant to say in these situations - Welcome FlatSixC to Talk Ivy! Can you put up a few Hot Topics please as we're running out of steam a bit here since our Derbyshire maestro retired.

#18 2022-08-02 02:24:58

RobbieB

Welcome FlatSixC. We need some new blood on here!

#19 2022-08-02 02:53:10

Runninggeez

Apologies FlatSixC welcome aboard.

#20 2022-08-02 04:20:49

Staxfan

Hopefully some ' young blood' with a new take on our subject, Welcome FSC,

#21 2022-08-02 05:29:27

RobbieB

I saw this and fort this ones' for sammy

'I no, pendants every wear'.

#22 2022-08-02 16:33:28

Yuca

Last time I bought a new shirt was many years ago. Despite all the appealing options mentioned above, if I ever buy another my only dilemma will be Jake's or Mercer.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#23 2022-08-03 01:48:14

FlatSixC

Thanks gents, I don’t know about ‘young blood’  I’ll get my thinking cap on.

#24 2023-04-21 08:18:20

AlveySinger

As it was last Summer that I originally started this thread I thought it might be interesting to update it. And the Ivy options still keep on coming.

The addition of Jakes is obviously a good thing on this side of the pond. Much cheaper than having to import a Mercer. Plus it's important to support independent artisans.

John Simons has hit a steady groove with their annual madras treats, Ivy jackets and outerwear. I'm pleased with my recent chinos and seersucker pop over. The Rancourts too are superb. Shopping at Chiltern Street is bit like that line from the Godfather... Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in.

There has been two recent additions to the Kamakura Vintage Ivy range.

Whist Brooks retail in the UK is no more there is an online presence. I fancy trying the new Bastian classic ocbd's.

Sebago have widened their net. The madras shirt I tried on in their Paris store was superb quality and had all the right details. Sadly, not cut for middle aged Chablis drinking fatties like me.

Stateside Press have opened a dedicated Pennant store in New York. I hope this fairs better than Rugby did for Ralph.

Good hunting everyone

#25 2023-04-21 12:52:25

FlatSixC

It wasn’t that long, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, that Press launched their last youth orientated label. If I remember rightly it was called J Press Blue and was referenced as an updated, slimmer fitting, take on Ivy.  It was quietly buried after 2 or 3 seasons.

Board footer