You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-09 08:03:12

AlveySinger

LACOSTE – WHAT THE CROCS GOING ON

Has anyone here got experience of the quality of current Lacoste polo shirts?

I recently bought a few as my favourite Brooks polos are sadly no longer available. I'm really disappointed with the quality. The colours fade quickly and one shirt has developed loads of small pills on the collar.

Given I can get hold of Smedley sea island polo shirts cheaper than Lacoste this has been a pretty expensive disaster.

#2 2022-08-09 10:34:41

Runninggeez

Re: LACOSTE – WHAT THE CROCS GOING ON

I think the quality is still there, the material just feels a bit thinner.

The Hartford I posted on IG is double the thickness of a recent Lacoste purchase plus the Hartford's heavier.

#3 2022-08-09 10:48:37

An Unseen Scene

I last bought a load of Lacoste polos in 2019 ans they are going strong with no issues so far, as are older ones. I'm more confused how they keep that shop going north of Oxford St in a quiet street with nothing similar around it. I walked by the other day and it stood out as an odd location.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2022-08-09 10:49:16)

#4 2022-08-09 11:24:59

Tim

@AUS It's on Duke St/Manchester Square IIRC, so not that far from Chiltern St et al, round the back of Selfridges. Plenty of other shops in the vicinity to sustain it I'd have thought?
Not owned a Lacoste since I was a child in the 80's - you can order custom coloured ones made in France if you know where to look on their website.

#5 2022-08-09 13:33:31

An Unseen Scene

Yes it is fairly near the shopping streets in the area but not onnor bezt to any of them. Just seems a touch odd when youvwalk around there on a quiet Wednesday morning.

#6 2022-09-21 20:35:00

Dulouz

Lacoste reinvented themselves as a youth brand and that's where the rot set in.

#7 2022-09-22 04:56:42

Spendthrift

Dulouz - 'Lacoste reinvented themselves as a youth brand and that's where the rot set in.'

Undoubtedly. But they all have to do that don't they? As soon as you add a board of directors, or shareholders, that's where it's going. Either that or you find your product sitting on dusty racks in the last remaining independent department stores next to the Skopes blazers.

I'm sure lots of us remember only being able to buy Fred Perry polos in back street sports shops. And couldn't have ever conceived of Duffer of St George being a Debenhams brand.

To me it's very unattractive that whatever your product is, you have to 'grow it' but I can see why it has to be that way.

Last edited by Spendthrift (2022-09-22 05:00:04)

#8 2022-09-22 07:03:05

RobbieB

I tend to see only older men wearing Lacoste. My English cousins, in their 70, and their mates. I have a few Lacoste made in France jumpers that were given to me by my brother in law when he put on weight. Only two days ago I was hand digging the potato/carrot/garlic field at the wife's family farm in a particularly leery Lacoste jumper of red/blue/green horizontal stripes. The jumper is over 20years old and seems to be indestructible.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#9 2022-09-22 07:22:29

FlatSixC

Unseen - ‘ I last bought a load of Lacoste polos in 2019 ans they are going strong with no issues’

Likewise. I keep the couple I’ve for smarter occasions rather than wearing them as a utility item  I’m sure they’re not as good as they used to be, but then very little is.

#10 2022-09-22 19:46:15

Dulouz

The marketing of Lacoste now is very much for the youth. It was once more sophisticated, sporty yes, Mediterranean and very urbane.

The stores here are the same, don't feel I'm in their targeted demographic anymore.

My wife is a big fan, she has several dresses from their Paris store. Maybe that's the place to go. I still have polo shirts and an excellent winter coat from two decades ago.

When it comes to polo shirts you've got Sunspel, Fred Perry's, Ralph Lauren, but that croc logo is always going to be in the top tier. The range in terms of colours is top notch and like Ralph Lauren you've got a number of fits to wear tucked-in, not tucked in, for lounging or looking smart and neat. They've still got it when it comes to polo shirts.

Board footer