You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-11 02:30:17

colin
Bright Light

DIY ivy

Recent talk of people producing their own shirts (Leith, Fitzgerald's) as well as jackets (Hardy and Johnston) got me thinking...

...I wonder how difficult it is to mend worn-down clothes that are too good to throw away but beyond wearable? Much less daunting then producing items, but surely most of us don't need any new clothes at this stage?

Well, as a total amateur, I had a go at turning the collar on a brooks makers shirt that had entirely frayed away.

And turns out, the result was better than I expected!

Next step is to try working on a mercer gingham shirt, which will involve making sure the pattern lines up.

But for anyone considering doing it - well worth a try.

What other DIY alterations/changes have you made?

I found the 'weejun hack' to also be entirely successful, turning late 80s/early 90s shiny USA made weejuns into a much deeper, richer hue. Shame we can't post photos anymore...

#2 2022-08-11 03:16:02

Staxfan

Re: DIY ivy

Colin - over many years my Wife has cut down long sleeve shirts to half sleeve shirts for me, usually with a 99% success rate, these have usually been madras shirts, I bought last year online an 'Original Madras Co'  L/S , Size ' L', it's a tad neat, ( somewhere between a M & L ), and it's not particularly long, so when I wear it tucked in it's slightly uncomfortable, so I've decided to chop it down to a h/s which I can then wear untucked with shorts, (I don't wear L/s shirts untucked with shorts or trousers, looks like you're trying to hard for the older Ivyist), however I don't think I can persuade my Wife to do the needlework so it'll need to go to the alterations lady and cost me about £15 ! She has shortened a couple of shirts for me, it didn't work, I threw out a JS madras as it barely covered my naval.....

#3 2022-08-12 09:06:49

AlveySinger

My favourite DIY hack was turning an old madras shirt into a couple of pocket squares.

The material had faded to really lovely muted shades of yellow and pink but overtime the shirt had shrunk.

I got the dimensions from the J Press website and took it to my local tailor to get cut and edged.

Really happy with the result and it least the shirt lives on.

#4 2022-08-12 12:15:35

colin
Bright Light

The long sleeve to half sleeve is a great idea, will have to give that a try in the future. Should be easy enough as long as sleeves not cut too short by mistake!

Pocket square idea good, too. I've got an old Madras scarf (eBay from one of those super pricey companies that did ivy stuff for a bit). The idea of a Madras scarf is weird, but the Madras material is absolutely beautiful. Tempted to make it into a tie, or worst comes to worst, pocket square.

#5 2022-08-12 13:34:34

Tim

I suppose coming from an old fashioned trade where I work with my hands has stood me in good stead on occasion - i’ve certainly turned collars with success, I can sew reasonably well, having been taught a modicum of dress making(!) by my grandmother. I worked for a tailor briefly as well when I first left school - I wanted to go into that trade but my parents weren’t keen and the tailor in question upped and died not long after I’d started with him - he did give me a pretty good foundation in seven-fold tie making and i’ve done it a couple of times in the past, i doubt i’d be able to do it now though. One of the jobs I’ve tackled myself during the pandemic shut-down here was re-heeling a pair of shoes, did quite well on that too even if I do say so myself. Not being encumbered by a wife, I have to darn my own socks also!

#6 2022-11-14 03:45:10

colin
Bright Light

This may sound a little counter-intuitive, but...

Having played around with a few old jackets where the shoulders don't quite fit *perfectly*, at least for my shoulders, I'm increasingly of the view that some padding can make for a better 'natural' shoulder line. Or rather, some sleevehead lining (not on top of the shoulder, but the very top of the sleeve where it meets the shoulder) can help make for a more rounded shoulder, at least for me.

We're talking adding in tiny amounts of lightly padded material here, but having played around a bit - DIY ivy style - I've learnt what seems to work better for my shoulders. Just seems to get that nicely rounded fit for me.

Perhaps this speaks to the wider point that 'unstructured' jackets in some materials don't easily fit perfectly for all off-the-shelf. Which is probably obvious, but...

#7 2022-11-14 05:09:45

RobbieB

Unstructured jackets can be a problem for me. They never seem to look as good as they do on others.I broke a collar bone in a cycling accident years ago and I was left with a slight bump on the shoulder. This causes some jackets to not look right. That's why I like to try before I buy in real shops. I'm not keen on ordering online and sending stuff back. Fit is everything when buying off the shelf. Back in the day I was surrounded by tailors and up to the age of 20 it wasn't unusual to have jackets/ trousers made to measure. Seems unbelievable now.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#8 2023-04-05 14:06:02

colin
Bright Light

My latest adventures into clothing alternations, I took the relatively heavy shoulder padding out of a herringbone topcoat and slightly reduced the sleeve head lining, as well. Wouldn't say my sewing skills are perfect by I am really pleased with the outcome.

It was pretty risky as boom years era made in USA, but the padding always annoyed me as it looked too 'English' with the padded shoulders.

Tempted to continue my experiments with shoulder alternations as a high stakes DIY alternation on other not-quite-perfect jackets lying around

Last edited by colin (2023-04-05 14:12:00)

#9 2023-04-06 11:56:26

Staxfan

You’re a brave man Colin !

#10 2023-08-25 14:22:38

colin
Bright Light

Finally got round to put cuffs on a deadstock pair of made in UK John Simons khakis...or rather, I've done one of two, given how long it took me to make sure I did a decent job. Second leg saved for tomorrow.

A surprisingly satisfying skill to have learnt! Also means I could get the leg length absolutely right.

Next task: sewing some faux/french cuffs in a pair of JS linen trousers which will require a bit of a extra thinking...

As a side note, these John Simons khakis were really exceptional. Perhaps the first JS own that was really spot on. If I remember, about £70 and proper high rise yet really quite trim (no way would I want them any trimmer). Almost worried to start wearing them!

Last edited by colin (2023-08-25 14:26:03)

#11 2023-08-25 14:24:43

colin
Bright Light

Prompted me to return to my higher risk sleevehead padding alternations I started before on old jackets (that I mentioned above) that weren't quite perfect a fit on me. Surprisingly enjoyable task making these little adjustments to get almost right items at the back of my wardrobe into circulation. Shop your own wardrobe as the weekend used to say!

Last edited by colin (2023-08-25 14:27:41)

#12 2023-08-25 23:03:26

RobbieB

Colin-'As a side note, these John Simons khakis were really exceptional. Perhaps the first JS own that was really spot on. If I remember, about £70 and proper high rise yet really quite trim (no way would I want them any trimmer). Almost worried to start wearing them!'

Marrkt have a pair of JS chinos for sale at £50. Are they similar Colin?

#13 2023-08-25 23:31:08

colin
Bright Light

Not a great photo, but I'm 99% sure they're not. The ones I have were from the old Russell Street shop. May have been less than £70 thinking about it. Hard to remember back a decade how much things cost.

The js Grenfell coat on there looks nice

#14 2023-08-26 03:12:04

Staxfan

There's a few JS items turning up on  Maarkt now, also the odd J.Keydge , I'm waiting for a JK khaki blazer in a 52 to turn up on there and I'll be straight in.... I should have bought the khaki & navy ( as well as the olive which I have), when they were in at 46 CS, regrets, I have a few.....

#15 2023-08-26 04:07:46

RobbieB

Stax-I would be interested in a JK khaki blazer in a 50. Let me know if you spot one before I do. I have a 52 navy wool JK jacket that is a bit big for me so a 50 would probably be my size. My wool jacket has 'bobbled' badly. I've tried DIY combing it but it didn't quite work out

#16 2023-08-27 03:39:34

Staxfan

Robbie- yep I’ll give you a nudge if I see anything, I checked my 3 keydges, 2 are 52’s 1 is a 50, all seem to fit the same, I think their sizing was often variable, the 50 is a gingery colour wool, I guess the wool has a bit more stretch,

#17 2023-10-11 14:33:20

colin
Bright Light

Finally got round to resewing new sleevehead lining on a tweed sack. Worked amazingly well. The magic seemed to be in the pressing for a really natural shoulder and only relatively light padding (but heavy enough for tweed).

Surprisingly satisfying!

#18 2023-10-12 14:27:45

colin
Bright Light

Continuing my experiments in DIY tailoring.

This time I added a thinnish layer of sleeve head padding on a hardy and Johnson cord sack (and gave it a good press around the shoulder) as well as repressing from more of a three button to three roll two.

Strikingly has shed its remaining 'mod' hints and now feels like a proper ivy sack jacket - a more curved shoulder, more rounded overall. A success!

#19 2023-10-14 14:03:51

FlatSixC

Colin - clever chap! Can you undercut my Latvian sewing lady though?

#20 2023-10-15 06:56:22

colin
Bright Light

Ha! Alas, no. I can't make it look good, so any alternatives I've made so far have been hidden, working out the structure, what fits etc. My sewing is currently functional rather than anything more. Going to slim down some 80s repp ties next I think...

#21 2023-11-09 15:43:05

colin
Bright Light

Another DIY jacket alteration, this time on a 60s tan cord jacket which, despite being a 3/2 lapel, had a surprisingly built up shoulder.

Gained a bit of a knack for altering shoulders now, so in an hour or so I had the shoulder padding removed (bar one ply material later stitched back) and reattached the sleevehead, and following a press, it has a nicely rounded shoulder.

The padding not *that* noticeable before (but definitely needed fixing up for me), and you couldn't do this on any jacket obviously as there'd otherwise be too much left over material, but the experiment means I've now got a good tan cord sack that I don't mind throwing around a bit, getting nicely worn in and crumpled for that west coast beatnik look!

#22 2023-11-10 03:56:05

FlatSixC

Colin - well done for having a go at this stuff!

#23 2023-11-10 06:54:09

colin
Bright Light

Have been toying with the idea of dying it brown, but maybe that's one step too far!

#24 2023-11-11 02:02:39

FlatSixC

Colin - ha! The murky world of dyeing, this reminds me of Jimmy F-M; he had a phase of posting about professional dyers along with having alterations done by the Women's Institute.He was taking the piss of course but he got some stick for it!
I’ve tried dyeing a couple of things and I would say don’t bother unless you really don’t care about the garment. You never quite know how the colour will turn out which, I suppose, does add a frisson of fear and excitement to the process. Dye is quite expensive and you need to use a healthy dose. It’s difficult to obtain full and even coverage if you do it in a bucket or sink.  Using a washing machine does a thorough job but there’s a concern that traces of the dry can remain in the works and effect subsequent items that are washed.
Manufacturers generally use thread for stitching which matches the garment. As thread is usually made of synthetics it doesn’t absorb the dye properly and you can end up with a dreadful contrast stitching effect. This happened to me once when I had a spare light blue Makers shirt which I wanted to dye Navy Blue, it looked absurd and I slung it away.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-11-11 02:06:20)

#25 2023-11-11 10:49:46

colin
Bright Light

Wise words. Dyeing plans abandoned! I did, however, decide it desperately needed a proper wash, as it smelt not so good. Hoping that might actually lighten the corduroy ever so slightly, to give it a slightly more natural tan colour. Let's see!

(I find it weird that people don't feel able to/want to wash vintage clothing, fwiw)

Board footer