You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-28 08:30:04

Tworussellstreet

Autumn - Season of Style

Ah, yes, the first slight nip in the air. We're kind of almost there aren't we? How I enjoy Autumn and Spring from a clothing perspective. The return of the jacket, a tie even, or an insouciant little Tootal scarf swinging around the neck. Jeans come out again, and chambray shirts, and the madras and seersucker gets demoted in the wardrobe. Proper shoes reappear and one can strut the streets without fear of exhaustion and dehydration. It's been a great sockless summer but it's time for all true Ivyists to give full expression to the potential of the natural shoulder wardrobe.

#2 2022-08-29 02:18:26

FlatSixC

Re: Autumn - Season of Style

Here’s another vote for Autumn. It’s liberating to get the madras shirts out at the start of summer, but  many men are wearing colourful lightweight shirts of some description once the weather warms up and the Ivyist will only stand out to the discerning eye. England has been so hot this year that my madras and seersucker jackets haven’t really come out at all. But come the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness  the tweed and the cloth of an earthy hue can safely emerge, the wardrobe is truly in synch with the colours of nature. On a cool morning the jacket and yes maybe a tie, can be worn as a bold proclamation that here is a man who cares what he looks like. Nor is the glorious ensemble  hidden away under an overcoat because it not that cold yet Well, that’s what I like to think it would be like, anyway such is the British weather that by mid afternoon you’ll probably be sweating your cobblers off.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2022-08-29 02:21:43)

#3 2022-08-29 03:56:31

AndyV

As somebody that has "dressed myself into Ivy" - after flirting with all sorts of nonsense over the years - the big takeaway from the style for me is how it embraces all the seasons. No other style of dress comes close. But yeah... Autumn. The navys, olives, browns. Jackets, socks, suede shoes. To paraphrase that lovely song' "It's autumn in Ivy land. It's good to live it again"

#4 2022-08-29 04:51:50

Kingston1an

I like the long warm days of Summer. They will be gone soon enough.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#5 2022-08-29 05:59:37

RobbieB

In England I love all the seasons, but Autumn is special. Clothes wise Autumn Ivy is perhaps my favourite mode of dress. The colours Olive, Green, Brown with Harris Tweed jackets and longwing leather shoes. Wonderful.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#6 2022-08-29 07:57:23

colin
Bright Light

Don't put away those Madras shirts just yet. Still time to wear them with a jacket or Shetland. That said, agree with all the above. Autumn allows for some nice colourful Shetlands, too. A lovely golden ambery yellow is a favourite, wearable with white levis on a sunny last bit of warmth day or with raw denim and desert boots

#7 2022-09-10 16:35:07

AlveySinger

I love the transition that Autumn brings. Not too cold yet for overcoats and hats but warm enough that a sweater will suffice.

The recent exceptional weather meant some of my typical Summer clothes like seersucker jackets and linen suits were too hot to wear. Shorts to the office was a novelty but I felt under dressed.

So I’m  looking forward to wearing a jacket again - if only to carry some of the stuff I need in it’s pockets.

Lash year I also invested in a thin Uniqlo gilet that is ideal to have under an unlined tweed jacket as the days become cooler

#8 2022-09-11 03:18:43

Tworussellstreet

Yesterday this humble Ivyist was all over the place clotheswise. First day in socks for months, and it felt horrible, but you can't go sockless in the UK in mid-September can you? Then a cotton jacket, and I felt too hot.. I was all of a doo-dah. Oh how I suffered. Now I need to feel a distinct Autumnal nip in the air to properly relax into the joys of the Autumn wardrobe.

#9 2022-09-11 03:36:25

Runninggeez

Madras shirt with a shaggy dog shetland sweater last night, still no socks and loafers........Just.

#10 2022-09-11 03:40:01

Staxfan

In town yesterday I decided on a Keydge wool Ivy jacket, it was warmer than I had anticipated should have gone for a last fling of a cotton jacket,

#11 2022-09-11 09:44:18

AlveySinger

Yes, it's really hard to get early Autumn right.
I was in London on Friday evening and it was a lovely evening after a light shower. I was wearing a long sleeved sea island Smed and a fine wool Simons jacket and was too warm.

By the way, The Georgie Fame concert was superb. A great evening of storytelling and music. Still a charismatic performer at 79.

#12 2022-09-11 12:01:21

FlatSixC

Wore a Harrington yesterday over a long sleeve Oxford and chinos, by lunchtime the jacket was off, sleeves rolled and I was missing the shorts.

#13 2022-09-11 12:50:56

Kingston1an

‘Wore a Harrington yesterday over a long sleeve Oxford and chinos .....by lunchtime the jacket was off, sleeves rolled and I was missing the shorts.’

Same clothing choice. Mine was a very nice Ben Nevis knockoff Harrington in maroon. Chinos were £4 button fly, high rise, wide leg jobs from Primark. Lands End green stripe OCDB.

I was in Southampton with no football match to attend. 2RS may be interested to know that I walked in and straight out of one Wetherspoon - the Standing Order in the High Street. I did visit two other nice ones though.

Southampton by the water is nice - massive cruise ships, Victorian buildings, medieval walls and a fancy marina. The QE2 mile through the pedestrianised High Street is just Anytown UK.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#14 2022-09-11 13:21:49

FlatSixC

Kingston1an- ‘Southampton with no football match to attend.’
Saints have reached that stage of the season where they normally wake up and start playing properly so maybe it was just as well for you. The problem with Southampton is that most of its waterfront is closed off by the docks, the city generally lacks charm and character. I much prefer Portsmouth and Southsea, but I wouldn’t mention that  around St Marys.

#15 2022-09-11 13:29:44

Staxfan

We’re off to the Isle of Wight tomorrow for a few days with the shaggy dogs, ( first ferry ride for the younger pooch, could be interesting), getting out my clobber to take, shorts or cottons to travel in ? ,need to delay that decision till the morning, breaks away in the UK are difficult to pack for trying to cover all weather eventualities, particularly this time of year,
Kingy - whilst like most people I had the highest regard for the Queen I think it was a bad decision to cancel the football yesterday, I’m guessing you’d already purchased your train ticket, waiting to see if the coming weekends games ( particularly in London), are called off, if on pre match drinking will probably change from the Premier Inn to the Watermans just round the corner for the London Pride, autumn/ winter drinking,

#16 2022-09-11 14:17:24

Kingston1an

‘ I much prefer Portsmouth and Southsea, but I wouldn’t mention that  around St Marys.’

Pompey is far better.  Go past Southsea and Eastney is also great. I was refused entry to Dock Gate 4 in Southampton. You have to go to certain viewpoints if you want to see things on the waterfront.

#17 2022-09-11 14:22:05

Kingston1an

Stax,

Yes I had bought rail tickets. I could have got a refund but I thought I would give Southampton a go anyway.

Arsenal match could possibly be postponed. We will see. I have used the Waterman’s but I thought it was Green King not Fullers.

For the Leeds game, I went straight to the ground as I had a lot to drink on Friday and did not want a pre match pint.

Board footer