You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-30 07:13:12

Tworussellstreet

Herb Lester goes Ivy

On the JS Instagram page - an invitation to the launch of Illustrated Ivy on 22 September at Johnny Simons' place. Herb Lester has got together with the much-loved Ivy illustrator Kazuo Hozumi to produce a fold-out guide to Ivy in the spirit of his wonderful Ivy Illustrated books. If I can get my hair and make-up sorted for this one I might just jump on a 73 bus and pop in and maybe even bump into some of you nutters down there.

#2 2022-08-30 13:01:17

FlatSixC

Re: Herb Lester goes Ivy

I’m ‘interested’.

#3 2022-08-30 13:02:16

Tim

Won’t be there for obvious reasons. The Herb Lester(esque) “Guide to Ivy??  as you probably well know TRS has been in the offing since the Harry Stedman days. Your old mucka Phil had myself and your other old mucka Mr Marsh attached to it as a side-project but it never came to fruition beyond a phone call or two.
I look forward to acquiring a copy however, I like his illustrations and already have three of his books.

#4 2022-08-30 15:28:44

Streetlight

Herb Lester, that has got to be the Ivyest name ever.

#5 2022-08-31 02:02:05

Kingston1an

‘Herb Lester, that has got to be the Ivyest name ever.’

Or an artisan cheese that would only be available at Paxton & Whitfield.

What happens at a book launch? Are there speeches?

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#6 2022-08-31 02:58:45

RobbieB

I like his illustrations as well but his guide to Helsinki doesn't get a high rating for information content. Style over substance ?

Last edited by RobbieB (2022-08-31 02:59:54)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#7 2022-08-31 05:35:51

FlatSixC

Kingston1an- ‘ What happens at a book launch? Are there speeches? ‘

The couple I’ve been to involved wandering around quaffing free drink with, I suppose, an unspoken expectation that you buy the book which the author could sign for you. Free drink is probably the best bit.

I see from the Herb Lester site that The Illustrated Ivy Guide is £12, which seems a lot for a piece of printed paper. I have bought a few of their city guide maps which are a more acceptable £4, what you are paying for is the insider knowledge about a place that may not be in a mainstream guide book,, this can make all the difference to a trip.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2022-08-31 05:36:44)

#8 2022-08-31 06:36:52

Tworussellstreet

It's hard to make a living selling things at £4 a unit to a rather niche market. For what it's worth I wrote Herb's guide to Rome : Moods and Places. It's about 10 years out of date now, but worth every penny, and the rest. Even if you think my recommendations are crap the illustration work, not by me, is charming. Ben, Herb Lester guru, is a solid Ivy man, a fellow traveller and an absolute mensch.

#9 2022-08-31 06:52:05

FlatSixC

2RS - personally, if I’m going anywhere I always check to see if there is a Herb Lester guide available. The knowledge about unique places, often off the tourist trail, is well worth the expenditure, in fact I would pay more for the city guides. I need to revisit Rome and if I do I will no doubt be following in your footsteps.

I’m finding the same principle with the Perambulations maps I mentioned in the Moochers thread. They encourage you to visit places you would never go to in the normal way of things.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2022-08-31 08:16:46)

#10 2022-08-31 07:16:35

RobbieB

Thanks 2RS and FlatSixC. It seems I'm well out of touch and I'm going to add Herb Lester and Steffi Ozari to my reading/purchasing list

#11 2022-09-01 04:25:51

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

That’s Ben Olins, right?

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#12 2022-09-01 04:46:37

RobbieB

Ben Olins-London pubs, any good?

#13 2022-09-05 03:07:06

Tworussellstreet

I'm not a pub person, but Ben has good taste and I'd imagine his boozers will be the best.

#14 2022-09-10 16:17:59

AlveySinger

I’m really looking forward to this publication

I think £12 for a great piece of design is ludicrously cheap.

The price doesn’t reflect the medium but the cost of licensing the illustrations, writing and designing it.

It’s going to be a relatively small print run so economies of scale aren’t achievable.

You would be surprised how expensive good paper is. Up until 12 months ago the cost of paper would go up about twice a year. Due to lots of factors the market has had significant volatility both in terms of availability and price.

#15 2022-09-13 07:51:15

An Unseen Scene

Launch at JS on 22nd Sept, 6-8PM

#16 2022-09-20 14:20:02

AlveySinger

I am distraught .

This is the second book launch at Chiltern Street I will have missed.

The thought of missing out on meeting in person a number of fellow clothes obsessed Ivy-ists, a salt beef sandwich from Reuben’s in Baker Street and the atmosphere in Chiltern Street is most depressing.

I have confined myself to bed with a copy of the Ivy Look and a collection of Georgie Fame albums  playing in the background.

I hope that on Facebook and Insta someone takes the time to post some images.

Most importantly I also hope that the evening is a big success for all concerned.

#17 2022-09-20 15:53:05

Runninggeez

Not sure I can make it yet, as I have to take a days leave.

If so I'll be "Billy No Mates".

#18 2022-09-21 01:11:28

FlatSixC

Runningeez: I’m planning to attend so you would be Billyonemate.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2022-09-21 01:12:37)

#19 2022-09-21 14:56:15

Runninggeez

FlatSixC : I’m planning to attend so you would be Billyonemate.

Ha ha, unfortunately I'm going to bail, work has piled up and I'm unable to take a days leave.

#20 2022-09-21 23:06:40

RobbieB

Wish I could be there tonight. I'm not back in London till next Tuesday. I don't usually attend such events but this one might be enjoyable.

#21 2022-09-23 03:25:26

FlatSixC

I went along to this last night and had a great evening drinking beer and chatting to cool cats, most notably our own 2RS who is always great to see in person. JS, the great man himself, was also in attendance and on excellent form.

Needless to say I succumbed and electrically handed over my £12 for a copy of the Ivy Illustrated ‘poster guide’. Is it worth it? It depends on your viewpoint of where value lies, I would say a resounding ‘Yes’. It’s a bit more than a sheet of paper. It’s presented in a nice little A5’ish size printed folder. The Kazuo Haozumi Ivy illustrations are beautifully reproduced and the whole layout and design of the piece is faultless, even down to the great paper it is printed on. Herb Lester at their best If you have an interest in the subject and you like to have nice things in your home to look at occasionally then it’s an essential buy.

#22 2022-09-23 03:42:53

FlatSixC

I notice that there a sale on Herb Lester’s website and their excellent city guides etc are available at half price.

We have a few days in NYC booked at Christmas and with the dollar v pound as it is we’re in for a very expensive trip, probably our last to the US for a while. We will be focusing on European cities until the UK economy picks up and the Herb Lester guides will be packed.

#23 2022-09-23 06:24:46

AlveySinger

I have a few of the City Guides. The Old New York one was useful to remind myself where certain things were.

I also used the Washington one.

I like them more for the design than the information though. They're beautifully crafted and as FSC points out it's pleasurable to own these things

#24 2022-09-23 08:25:38

Tworussellstreet

Saw Woofboxer down there last night and the years of fermenting animosity caused us to indulge in an impromptu boot of Ivy fisticuffs, a scuffle eventually broken up by John and Paul Simons. But a few cans of free ale later we were best mates, stroking the herringbone together and getting teary-eyed over our favourite footwear from the canon. We also debated the merits of scooter versus motorbike, and the challenges of illness and ageing. Pretty heavy stuff. Great to see you Andy. These events do make me chuckle - everywhere you look are sack jackets, and loafers, and chukka boots. Like an alternative universe, or a middle aged version of the mod gatherings of my youth. Herb's Illustrated Ivy is, of course, splendidly done ; I just want more! Great to actually be able to understand the copy this time, which had that charming and very Japanese quirky expression of obsessive detail. Mr.Olins - a vol 2 please, or how about an English language Herb edition of the original two Japanese books?

#25 2022-09-23 13:16:38

AlveySinger

My copy arrived in the post today. Superb.

I'm so sorry I missed last night. I hope it was massive success for all concerned.

It's Friday, the last weekend before the Jewish new year on Monday. I'm sitting here enjoying a fabulous Risotto, a glass of New Zealand Chard and reading the Herb Lester publication. Life cannot get much better.

Board footer