• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » In the spirit of AFS - Hardy and Johnson revisited

#1 2022-09-02 03:43:02

Kingston1an

In the spirit of AFS - Hardy and Johnson revisited

Revival of an old thread. A celebration of Hardy and Johnson :-

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=10627&p=13

I have a couple of their jackets - a navy one and grey herringbone( similar to John Simon’s one) half lined jacket.

Would not have minded a Donegal tweed and and a Prince of Wales check with blue overcheck.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#2 2022-09-02 04:12:52

FlatSixC

Re: In the spirit of AFS - Hardy and Johnson revisited

Someone is selling 3 of their jackets on ebay.co.uk at present, £80 each for 2 wool ones that don’t look too bad and bizarrely £100 for a cotton one which has a seam that has come apart and may or may not be repairable.

#3 2022-09-02 04:36:16

Kingston1an

The cotton one has a large rip and dark grey is not a great colour for a cotton jacket.

The wool ones are much better if you are a 44.

‘Apparently the patterns are now being used by the same manufacturer for John Simons Apparel's Ivy Jackets.’ say the notes. They also throw in Paul Weller, John Simon’s in the description in case they are in searchs.

The houndstooth one is the best of them.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325326384610?hash=item4bbef6ade2:g:kCAAAOSwe9Ni9RlD&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoBFCplSp2vfzDOqAx7UznOjYHDl5%2FMIMI9scA%2FwtVqJjRAi2FUm%2F%2FE%2Bevh493D7gLSIm7E6fBbl%2FYZn%2BFkL5EDYPFA0uMf4essz2JY9zTULFuE%2B8wNE7ckdRv1w1ra5F%2Fm0TDyyK9Mrn0hoBVZ%2B71QMoODdZMzslidOktuRQZYoo5%2B5HJUE8ZJojvTM5Wr7emihz6lE%2F5GUpUKH%2B3NIzbeE%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4bgitzfYA

Last edited by Kingston1an (2022-09-02 04:37:21)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#4 2022-09-03 13:57:04

Runninggeez

I have 2 tweed H&J Ivy League jackets, and they are first class, wish I'd bought more.

#5 2022-09-08 01:03:17

fxhmail

H&J
I’d like the lapels to be a bit wider but nothing else is off on the jacket.
I would have liked to snaffle a bright blue Donegal jacket. But alas.

I have my two.

#6 2022-09-08 01:21:42

fxhmail

here have a butchers
https://www.dressedwell.net/threads/ivy-style-for-today.10274/#post-300037

#7 2022-09-08 01:54:26

Kingston1an

FXH,

I have a similar herringbone tweed from H&J. Mine is black and white; yours looks brown and white in the photos. Great jackets.

#8 2022-09-08 01:55:55

Kingston1an

‘H&J
I’d like the lapels to be a bit wider but nothing else is off on the jacket.’

Fit around the back of the neck could be a little bit better maybe.

#9 2022-09-08 07:22:35

FlatSixC

Whilst retrieving my winter stuff I’ve come across a 40R Olive green H&J corduroy jacket which I had forgotten I had.

I’m going to sell it so if anyone is interested please let me know. As they say in all the best clothing adverts ‘worn a handful of times’ - but this time it’s true and its in perfect condition with no signs of wear. Size wise I would say 40R is true to size but I can supply measurements. I will be looking for £50 + postage.

#10 2022-09-08 11:06:24

colin
Bright Light

Hi flat six c, I could be interested. Although I'm a 40 long so fear it might come up a little short? Could I ask for a few measurements? My private messages here are full I think, so if so, I can send an email address?

Best wishes,
Colin

#11 2022-09-08 11:31:20

colin
Bright Light

Edit

Last edited by colin (2022-09-08 12:13:13)

#12 2022-09-08 11:53:00

FlatSixC

Colin
I have your email and will get something over to you later.

#13 2022-09-08 12:14:01

colin
Bright Light

Great, thanks - email address removed! Hope the measurements work *crosses fingers*

#14 2022-09-09 03:36:04

Sid Ford

@flatsixc @colin
Let me know if the measurements don't work for you as I would be interested. ThANKS.

#15 2022-09-09 04:34:41

FlatSixC

Okay Sid!

#16 2022-09-09 06:23:01

colin
Bright Light

Email sent, FlatSixC. If it doesn't work out, Sid, I'll get in touch.

#17 2022-09-11 12:06:24

colin
Bright Light

So what happened to Hardy and Johnson's ivy venture anyway?

I remember a lovely afternoon spent at one of their places buying a few shirts - a bespoke BD Baggies and BB uni stripe - and chatting about their plans to make their jackets - which, belatedly, I'm eagerly awaiting to try via FlatSixC.

Their exhibition looked to be visually amazing - with the wall of boom years shirts, own brand jackets and, I presume, new weejuns?

But are they still around making/selling things? Nice guys with a long history in the clothing industry from what I could tell. Certainly had a great eye for the ivy look (or at least, what I see as the ivy look, with that hint of non-kitsch modernist).

#18 2022-09-11 12:10:07

colin
Bright Light

I know they did short runs in limited sizes - I wonder whether the fashion for ivy revisited itself just died out?

Perhaps once we've all bought enough decent quality vintage or new ivy staples there isn't actually that much demand for this stuff?

Surely none of us really need any more Shetland jumpers, say?

#19 2022-09-11 12:56:31

Kingston1an

‘So what happened to Hardy and Johnson's ivy venture anyway?’

Probably thought they had given it a good run. They were not limited to Ivy. They had more than one string to their bow.

As you say, very nice people and ideally situated between the Half Moon and the now revitalised Bricklayers Arms in Putney.

#20 2022-09-11 13:00:49

colin
Bright Light

Sounds about right, Kingstonian.

Pleased to hear the Bricklayers Arms is still alive - felt like it was on its last legs when I used to go there. Much needed in and among the generic gastropubs elsewhere...

...the Half Moon, I don't know, I appreciate the legacy of the place but it seemed very pricey and slightly underwhelming as far as pubs go...

Not wanting to derail this thread by focusing solely on South West London pubs!

#21 2022-09-11 13:05:42

Kingston1an

Becky who ran The Bricklayers got bored with being a pub landlady and started doing charity stuff. So the brilliant beer festivals were no more and the full range of Timothy Taylor’s beers disappeared.

With the refit and new people running it happy days are here again. As you point out, food is not a feature it’s a wet led pub.

#22 2022-09-11 13:08:20

Kingston1an

Agree about the Half Moon. We started drinking there when Bricklayers went downhill, though I would have been happy to move to The Rocket.

#23 2022-09-11 13:10:09

FlatSixC

H&J were inspired to do this, partly as they had noticed the lack of natural shoulder choices available to the dedicated Ivyist and partly, as a project for two active minds to combat the inactivity of retirement. John Simons Russell St had closed and no one in the UK had been feeding the Ivy obsession. The jackets sold like hot cakes at first, but eventually discounts were being applied to shift each new release after the initial sales and ultimately the experiment arrived at its natural end. Therein lies the dilemma for anyone outside the USA who launches an idea to produce and sell purist Ivy clothing, you are catering to a small group of consumers and once their needs are satisfied for a while, the demand tails off. Hence the current need for JS to appeal to a broader church.  I’m sure Lloyd and Chris wouldn’t mind me saying that it was more of a hobby than a business venture. I’m glad I’ve got a couple of their jackets and I enjoy wearing them, I also enjoyed meeting them and viewing Lloyd’s enviable collection of Free and Easy mags.

#24 2022-09-11 14:49:22

colin
Bright Light

The rocket was the wetherspoons right? I've expressed my reservations about the chain here before, but that pub preferable to all the rest of the heavily polluted high street. Green man at the top okay, though.

Yes, H and J seemed to be in it for the love of clothes rather than the profits, even if you can't do without the latter. No doubt wise on that front. seems impossible to sustain these kind of projects. Think about how many passion projects we've seen come and go over the last decade or so...

#25 2022-09-12 02:06:05

Runninggeez

They may have been in it for the love of clothes. But Lloyd in particular comes from a retail/design background, Kensington Market, 406 Kings Rd, Floral St, Endell St etc.
So maybe he and Chris were testing the water for a future project. But I could be wrong.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » In the spirit of AFS - Hardy and Johnson revisited

Board footer