You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » RUSSELL ATHLETIC AND THE SEARCH FOR THE PERFECT SWEATSHIRT

#1 2022-10-10 06:31:19

AlveySinger

RUSSELL ATHLETIC AND THE SEARCH FOR THE PERFECT SWEATSHIRT

Back in the Eighties I was a big fan of their sweats and t's. The logo featuring the eagle looked so American and the quality was good too.

At the time the heavy grey marl sweatshirt material was unlike anything the UK had to offer and a lot of premium sportswear brands had been ruined by the casuals.

There was a shop in Birmingham that carried Russell alongside Champion, Timberland and Carhartt. It fitted in perfectly with the preppy vibe of the time - a Russell or Champion sweatshirt, 501's faded to perfection with deck shoes or Timberland boots.It was a stark contrast to the big shoulder padded double breasted suits/jackets and loud ties that dominated menswear back then.

Whilst Champion has made a strong comeback, under new ownership, it appears that by contrast Russell is now cheap workwear or consigned to TK Maxx. It's a shadow of what it used to be.

I have just washed a Dickies poly cotton sweatshirt for the first time and it has gone surprisingly bobbly. It's a shame - not because of the cost as it was probably £15 - but due to the fact it was so comfortable it was a favourite of mine.

Sadly now Dickies no longer do their classic workwear sweatshirts that John Simons used to sell either.

Suggestions are welcome on what should now be considered - Camber, Sunspel, Champion with a small logo. Bad reports of Uniqlo thickness.

#2 2022-10-10 06:44:07

Tim

Re: RUSSELL ATHLETIC AND THE SEARCH FOR THE PERFECT SWEATSHIRT

I have a couple of Commmunity Clothing sweats, grand until about the third wash, when the colour started fading (mine were navy and olive), especially around seams and on the edges of the cuffs. They're now two years old and as thin as a bed sheet. Not good enough in my opinion.
I've had a couple of Japanese made sweats in the past also (Two Moon in my case) - they really do come up small. Again, they didn't last more than a couple of years before they became paper thin and had no warmth left in them. Perhaps I'm washing them incorrectly or just expecting too much from a sweat shirt.

#3 2022-10-10 08:15:15

Yuca

I have 1 CC sweatshirt. Colour and style are superb, although it is a bit short for my tastes. To me the style is very 40s campus. (Although I suspect in that era they only came in grey.)

I've avoided washing until desperate as it is already as small as it can go, however after 1 wash it still looks and fits fine. I'm considering getting another next time I'm back in Blighty because it's perfect for where I am right now (a coffee-growing region where it can get a bit chilly but not enough to warrant wool). Maybe after a couple of years' wear I'll be less enthusiastic about them.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#4 2022-10-10 11:58:34

Spendthrift

Not easy to track down, but plain Galt Sand sweats are amazing quality. Good weight, detail and very acceptable logo. While on it, I’d also recommend their T’s.

Again, not thick on the ground but worth keeping an eye out for Timothy Everest sweats. All the above with no logo. I think they were only ever available in navy or black.

If they can be found neither of these break the bank

#5 2022-10-10 19:58:07

Dulouz

The current Buzz Rickson's sweatshirts made on 1920's looms look pretty good to me, but at GBP 134.99 rather expensive for gear I'd only wear at the gym or lounging at home.

#6 2022-10-10 20:43:13

FlatSixC

Tim - ‘I have a couple of Commmunity Clothing sweats, grand until about the third wash, when the colour started fading (mine were navy and olive), especially around seams and on the edges of the cuffs. They're now two years old and as thin as a bed sheet.’

Disappointing reading as I have couple of pairs of sweatpants bottom from CC which look to be the same material and colours as the sweatshirts. Both washed two or three times but no problems so far and the quality seems peerless.

#7 2022-10-11 03:55:17

RobbieB

Good Measure clothing company do a good sweatshirt. Made in England to an American design. £100 might be a bit on the expensive side for a sweatshirt but you 'get what you pay for'.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#8 2022-10-11 03:59:24

RobbieB

Ralph have brought out a sweatshirt without the logo this season. They are marketing it as 'without the logo'. Pricey, with limited colours and a big no no for me not 100% cotton.  Not easily available yet but they are in Harrods. There is a small 'badge' on the hem

#9 2022-10-11 04:02:25

RobbieB

I have a GAP sweatshirt that must be 20 years old. It's got all the correct details and has weathered nicely. I wish I could get another one. Cheap as chips when I bought it.

#10 2022-10-11 07:43:45

Yuca

'Good Measure clothing company do a good sweatshirt. Made in England to an American design. £100 might be a bit on the expensive side for a sweatshirt but you 'get what you pay for'.'

The blue one looks good. (Grey, black or white really don't work for me.) What's the sizing like i.e. can I just order my usual size?

#11 2022-10-11 09:13:15

RobbieB

With the Good Measure sweatshirt I would take your usual size. Not sure about the latest offerings but they tend to be a baggy, slightly oversized fit but that's how I like them.

#12 2022-10-11 09:15:14

Yuca

Me too. Thanks.

#13 2022-10-11 09:58:39

Staxfan

Good Measure sweatshirts - they look very nice, but I find it hard ( impossible ?), to spend that sort of money on a sweatshirt, same with high priced t's,
today I'm wearing a Muji white T under a sweater, the Muji t's were 2 for £8.95 , good fit, washed well so far, ( Muji as recommended a while ago by Uncle Ian),

#14 2022-10-11 14:08:57

RobbieB

I was pretty critical of my Truss white T shirt £20 from Markkt but it has stood up well to washing . I went back on line to buy some more and what do you know? they are all sold out! Damn. I agree Stax that too much money spent on T shirts etc seems over the top but I've been trying to follow your earlier advice to buy fewer items of better quality.

#15 2022-10-12 01:08:04

Staxfan

Point taken Robbie! On the subject of expensive sweatshirts I guess if you’re a twenty something and a sweatshirt is a going out-out item you can justify £100+ , but if you’re more ‘seasoned’ like some of us here and it’s just for the gym, or dog walking or dosing on the sofa it seems a lot to pay, I miss GAP on the high street , they were always good for basics, maybe not so much in recent years,

#16 2022-10-12 07:11:56

Tworussellstreet

I once bought a Pike Brothers grey marl sweatshirt that has aged fantastically well. I note however that they don't seem to be making them anymore, so quite why I am boring you with this I have no idea. The old Russell Athletic sweats from J.Simons Covent Garden in the 80s were super of course, in the days when great American clothes were solid and affordable. Fun Celeb Fact - Paul Weller's sister came into the shop once with her brother and bought 10 Russell sweatshirts, intended, I think, for a photoshoot/video. That's showbiz folks!

#17 2022-10-12 08:50:38

AlveySinger

I wear Sweatshirts around the house or as alternatives to sweaters when nipping out. I want them to look good and don't mind spending £100+ on a sweatshirt if it's quality.

I am fed up with making false economies on things that fade or fall apart. I want to buy less but buy better. Some of my Ralph Stuff is over 15 years old and still looks great

Over the last five years I have ended up with stuff from Uniqlo and Muji that whilst being cheap hasn't been that Long-lasting. I appreciate there are always exceptions to the rule. I have some superb chinos from Target in the States that are excellent and they were under £20.

#18 2022-10-12 12:17:48

Streetlight

Sunspel has done me well.

#19 2022-10-12 14:34:04

Yuca

'Sunspel has done me well.'

For 120 notes they should. Some nice colours available.

#20 2022-10-12 14:53:11

AlveySinger

How about Buzz Rickson?

#21 2022-10-13 02:31:57

Tim

Anyone got any experience of Camber? Middle of the road price wise at 85 sterling but they look a decent weight and have the added bonus of being Made in the USA. No v-detail at the neck though, which may be a make or break for some of you.

#22 2022-10-13 02:38:35

RobbieB

For me the v neck detail is important, even though it is decoration only, and the stitching has to overlap. Mad, I know!

Last edited by RobbieB (2022-10-13 02:38:51)

#23 2022-10-13 02:57:46

Tim

I'm the same Robbie, I can't be without that detail either but thought I'd offer Camber for those psychopaths who can manage without!

#24 2022-10-13 13:51:17

AlveySinger

^ Tim/Robbie

You guys have hit the nail on the head.

You can get the heavier weight but sometimes not the all important V detail.

Camber is good heavyweight stuff.

Champion with the logo just on the sleeve is possibly the way to go in grey . The navy fades too quickly to an almost grey colour

#25 2022-10-17 02:31:23

Horace

The old Russell’s and champion’s.   Great gear.  In navy and grey as i recall. 

I wonder if the machinery is still extant and in working order?  We’re I to get another, I’d have to insist on
The old reverse weave and made in USA.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » RUSSELL ATHLETIC AND THE SEARCH FOR THE PERFECT SWEATSHIRT

Board footer