You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-13 10:59:42

FlatSixC

The Real Desert Boot

Clarks? No apparently not according to the website of the Veldskoen company of South Africa.

Quoting from an article in GQ magazine, Nathan Clark, of Clarks Shoes, was serving in the second world war when he noticed South African officers wearing, in his own words, ‘strange leather shoes’.

Those shoes were ‘Veldskoen’ - traditional South African farmers boots made from suede with a tough rubber sole, from this Clark went on to develop the Clark’s desert boot.

While on holiday in Cape Town recently your roving reporter took the opportunity to visit the Veldskoen warehouse and peruse their range of boots. I have never found a desert boot I really liked for one reason or another but their Heritage Farmer model felt right straight away. The place felt good and the employees were proud of what they were doing. The products were of exccellent quality and ethically made in S.A. I availed myself of a pair and wore them for the rest of the holiday, I christened them authentically in the red dust of the South African veldt (desert). They seem a lot more sturdy than Clarks, rather than crepe they have a rubber sole with a grippy tread, all of which gets my vote.

There is a UK website but they will cost more than the very reasonable 999 Rand (about fifty quid) that I paid.

https://www.veldskoen.com/products/farmer-grey-veldskoen-heritage

Last edited by FlatSixC (2022-10-13 13:50:55)

#2 2022-10-13 14:03:28

AlveySinger

Re: The Real Desert Boot

Great story FSC. Always nice to buy from the source.

Cape Town is lovely for a Winter Break. The beaches are perfect. The local Chard excellent. I am very envious.

I, like you, have struggled with dessert Boots. I have some Hutton's. Very comfortable but only with thicker socks.

One to investigate

#3 2022-10-13 23:51:50

FlatSixC

As is often the case with desert boots the Veldskoen size up large and I ended up buying an 8 instead of my usual 9.

Alvey - yes my second visit to CT and my wife’s fifth I think.  It certainly is incredibly beautiful and very cheap for British visitors. I could never be comfortable with the undercurrent and inequality there.

#4 2022-10-14 09:40:02

Dulouz

They look very good. The problem with the Clarks is the uncomfortable and slippery sole.

South Africa is great for a visit, excellent wine culture, food and the gin and brandy are excellent too.

#5 2022-10-15 12:54:40

Jdemy

These look great. Thanks for posting. Do they offer more arch support (and generally “more support?? ) than Clark’s do??

#6 2022-10-15 12:55:51

Jdemy

These look great. Thanks for posting. Do they offer more arch support (and generally more support) than Clark’s do??

#7 2022-10-16 11:59:06

FlatSixC

Jdemy - ‘ Do they offer more arch support (and generally more support) than Clark’s do??’

They have a proper insole with a curved arch support. Without a side by side comparison, my impression is that they are sturdier than Clarks and they feel stable on my feet.

#8 2022-10-17 02:36:12

Horace

Had read about the alleged OG in South Africa.  Never checked it out.

Good memories of the place though.  In days past. 

The Alden chukka is a substitute that might not suit all.  The last different.
More of an arch and heel. Expensive as hell.  We’ll made shoe.  But i haven’t worn enough to know
How i feel about it.  Still sentimental for look of the Clark.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#9 2022-10-31 21:09:39

Dulouz

''Good memories of the place though.  In days past.''

Corruption, politics and the Gupta brothers aside, it remains a country of rich lands, excellent wine & food and filled to the brim of talent.

Interestingly, again as in the last year before the lockdowns, the largest contingent of festival goers at the North Sea Jazz Festival this year was from South Africa. Splendid musical taste as well.

Board footer