You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-17 07:14:08

AlveySinger

WHAT DO YOU WISH YOU HAD MORE OF...

As this is a clothing addicts forum I thought I'd raise the question.

I count myself fortunate enough to have most things I want due to wearing the same style for a very long time. (I can hear Mrs Singer in the background saying "Don't you already own the same thing" when unveiling my latest purchase)

I wish I would of bought a stone coloured raincoat from AquaScutum. John Simons once had a plain Melton wool Varsity jacket by Golden Bear, I should stocked up on Made in The USA Weejuns too.

I am a tortured soul knowing that these things are unlikely to be made again. It's not like waiting for next season.

I also add to the list J Keydge jackets. I should of bought more and forgot about wine, jazz records and women. Well maybe not the wine.

How about the suede Cole Haan loafers at Russell Street. A work of art. CH don't even make classic footwear any more!

So what do you wish you had more of or have missed out on?

#2 2022-10-17 07:51:18

Staxfan

Re: WHAT DO YOU WISH YOU HAD MORE OF...

Sero Shirts - perfect collar length, no locker loop, no 3rd collar button, I have a nos pink oxford bought from O'connells 10-12 years ago, it's knackered but I love it,
Keydge jackets, like you Alvey I should have bought more, and of course USA made weejuns, .... the list could go on forever !

#3 2022-10-17 07:54:41

Tim

Things I wish I had more of.. Money and Time!

- In seriousness though, another one for US Made Weejuns. I had a pair of dead-stock pebble-grain (from the infamous Russel Street basement) which gave me ten years of good service before I eventually consigned them to the rubbish bin. The uppers had gone at the seam sadly. I wish they were freely available though, I'd love another pair. I'm hoping to get the Alden version in the not too dim and distant future.

My favorite shirt of all time was another RS purchase, at the time considered nothing special, a US Made BD Baggies - in the most gorgeous light blue Gingham, I constantly look for that shade of blue but no joy thus far. I wish I'd bought three.

In my youth (& now with the benefit of hindsight) - I didn't realise that the clothes I loved would eventually wear out, that's my main regret, that I treated things as if they were replaceable when truly they were not.
These days I coddle everything as best I can, rotate constantly and if I really and truly love something, I aim to buy two.

I know I've missed out on a great number of things over the years but I've also been fortunate enough to own some fantastic clothes, some of which I still have, some I think of fondly and others still that I can't bear to think about.

Other things I wish I'd paid more attention to and could remember better: John, Jeff and Ken's snippets of wisdom about the look and snarky comments about mod - I wasted time, effort and money on that particular rabbit hole.

I reckon this thread should make for good reading. Probably going to cost me a few quid tracking down stuff too!!

#4 2022-10-17 08:47:17

Alternative

I have an aquascutum raincoat and a keydge slack jacket in beige cotton. So  I don't miss them. Mostly I now have enough stuff. It's just a matter of actually wearing them.

#5 2022-10-17 08:49:07

Alternative

#6 2022-10-17 10:26:01

AlveySinger

Tim

Oh how your post resonates with me. I've also made the same mistakes.

Now I am now scared about wearing things out so much I don't wear them as much and I should. It's not so much about how much they cost me but more to do with availability.

I have a lovely Pendleton seaside Madras shirt in mauve and blue check that I'm scared to wear in case in fades

#7 2022-10-17 10:28:10

Spendthrift

I’m pretty happy with everything I have. From here on in it’s just tweaking and improving.

Highest on my list of wants are Paraboot Michaels or Chambords.

Black longwings have been on the list for decades, and yet for some reason I’ve just never got around to buying any.

If money was no object and I could stock up ad infinitum as insurance against world stocks disappearing it would be navy Shetlands and Sebago loafers.

#8 2022-10-17 10:41:11

Runninggeez

US made Weejuns

US made Sebago

Cole Haan Penny & Tassel

BD's - SERO, Norman Shirtmakers, Hathaway, Yorke, all in see through poly bags, BB Makers from the 80's, Made in France Hartfords

Sweaters - Lawrence J Smith, Alan Paine Donegal Fleck, John Malloy Aran's

J Kedge, missed out on them bigtime

Wash n' Wear BB Suits

Blue Note albums when they were £3 a pop in the 80's

Wasn't there a thread on hear where it was said that Ian Strachan took enough clothes and shoes to last him a lifetime when he gave up the Ivy Shop.

He was way ahead of the game.

Last edited by Runninggeez (2022-10-17 10:44:40)

#9 2022-10-17 11:33:48

Tworussellstreet

- Not long after Bass outsourced all their manufacturing John Simons got hold of a load of their old Wilton, Maine stock which they couldn't off-load on the completely disinterested U.S. market. There were lots of tan Weejuns and brown scotchgrain Weejuns. Like an idiot I bought just one pair of the tan, which I still have, and beautiful shoes they remain of course. But I vacillated over the scotchgrain and was actually in the shop the day the last pair was bought by a very cool old school architect. I think about these shoes often.

- Flip on King's Road used to have rails of 1960s madras and seersucker jackets. I should have bought the lot but lacked the bottle to wear them at the time.

- In mid-80s JS he had an amazing triple-welt short wing tip brogue made in Belgium by Embassy, Very expensive, remarkable shoes, very BCBG. Couldn't afford them. Probably go for close to £1k nowadays.

- I wish I could find the Walkover saddle shoes which mysteriously disappeared 30 years ago... (I find women do hate men in saddle shoes).

#10 2022-10-17 12:23:14

Jdemy

Sweaters. Shetlands with saddle shoulders. Brushed. Vintage Alan Paines.

#11 2022-10-18 06:27:39

AlveySinger

Looks like Mr Runningeez needs a time machine to transport him back to the Ivy Shop - together with one hell of a shopping cart/trolley.

Embassy Shoes are a new name to me. That is just the thing about John Simons. He has a rare talent for hunting things out that fit into his vision. Without him I wouldn't of known of Rancourt.

#12 2022-10-18 06:52:03

FlatSixC

Storage space and will power.

I always seem to be chasing the perfect raincoat and the desultory hunt starts anew each autumn. It’s probably a knee length single breasted fly front Aquascutum in a stone colour with slash pockets lending the wearer that unfussy but sharp Harry Palmer look. Most modern mens raincoats are far too short to actually do their job of keeping the wearer dry, finding an old one in that light colour that’s not grubby or marked is quite a quest.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2022-10-18 06:52:49)

#13 2022-10-18 06:59:21

RobbieB

I just wish I had supported all the guys that made a stab at producing Ivy inspired clothes in the last 15 years. The small independent concerns that loved Ivy so much that they wanted to provide the goods. None of them survived and to my shame I didn't buy what was on offer at the time.
I wish I had more Fitzgerald's etc. You all know the names

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#14 2022-10-19 05:20:41

Patrick

Storage space, no doubt.

Will power is easier and cheaper to obtain. I haven't bought anything new in ages except LL Bean open collared shirts I use mostly for fishing and chopping wood, and Lands End chinos because I shrank and the damn things were dragging on the ground.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#15 2022-10-26 07:03:42

AlveySinger

A few years ago whilst on holiday I stocked up on pocket t shirts from Fruit of The Loom. Bought from a Walmart I think they were under $5 - so about £3.50 each.

The cut of the shirt, collar and size of the pocket is superb. Material wise they are quite hard compared to a similar pocket t-shirt by J Crew but they are my go-to for Sundays at home.

This year I thought I'd replenish my stocks even with the frightful decline in the exchange rate. Sadly they were no-more at Walmart having been replaced by some own-label t without the pocket.

It's funny how even the most basic items disappear.

#16 2022-10-26 08:40:30

RobbieB

Back in the day me and my mates always bought Fruit of the Loom T shirts and as you say Alvey they were superb. Today's offerings are poor.
JS is selling a good Made in USA t shirt in white or blue for £65. I can't justify spending that on a t shirt.
My latest Uniqlo T shirts are pretty good for £13

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#17 2022-10-26 09:12:13

Runninggeez

Talking of T's, the old Russell Athletic pocket T from the 80's was great, I have one in grey it washes up really well and has never lost its shape.

I got it from the Ivy shop Richmond, and I now wish I'd bought a load more.

But I have to say the FOL I bought from Russell St were great quality too.

Last edited by Runninggeez (2022-10-26 09:13:16)

#18 2022-10-26 09:21:04

Spendthrift

Back around late 80’s FoTL were always reckoned to be a cut above the usual high street sport/jeans shop white T’s (back when there WERE independent sport/jean shops on every High St)  Then Haynes ‘Beefy T’s’ were highly thought of. If I’m honest I don’t think I got much more than average wear out of either.

A big part of the problem is that anyone can buy the most basic FoTL T’s in bulk from somewhere like ‘Workwear Express’ and flog them marked up on eBay or Amazon. Usually wrongly described as ‘heavy’ ‘US’ or ‘premium’ etc.

If white T’s are your thing I’d advise anyone to browse a site like Workwear Express. The more you buy the bigger the discount. You only have to buy 10 or so to get a reasonable discount, which makes it easier to toss ‘em when the neck line inevitably goes

#19 2022-10-27 01:19:47

Staxfan

I looked at (and tried on I think), one of the Goodwear T’s ( pack of 2 around £50) at CS last year, at best they seemed very average, £50 seemed a lot for what were under garments, I went and got 2 x 2 packs at Muji for £8 something per pack of 2, they are holding up well, when the necks go they’ll be useful for brass rubbing or something similar!

#20 2022-10-27 02:25:58

Tworussellstreet

Talking of quality Ts, I've just bought a few from Merz b.Schwanen, the German company who have acquired something of a cult following since the TV show 'The Bear'. Made on loopwheel machines, great fabric and fit. Ordered mine online from London at 11am, arrived the following day, from Berlin, at 9.30am. As Del Boy might say "worsprung durch Technik" !

#21 2022-11-09 05:08:45

Kingston1an

I found a dry cleaner that advertised reproofing. My Aquascutum says 'dry clean only'. The procedure was dry clean first, then wash to apply proofing. So no guarantees. I just left it for dry clean only.

I also have a great Marks and Spencer trenchcoat bought in the Christmas sale when they still offered decent stuff. It does not say 'dry clean only'.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#22 2022-11-10 19:49:59

Dulouz

I've pretty much got shit loads of everything...

Shoes enough to see me out, still want some slimmer lasts in C&J's and Greve.

Vintage 501 range, yes please. Dig them.

Shirts still get a buzz from if the fabric pattern is extremely rare. That includes select RL, T&A but not at the current non-sale prices, some Drakes I might consider if I want a OCBD stripe in yellow or similar.

Biggest buzz I get now is from watches. Not interested in luxury stuff, and the Rolex BS watch as ready disposable asset in any jurisdiction, I'm into the biggest bang for buck: certain Seiko ranges and Longines Heritage.

#23 2022-11-11 02:15:59

FlatSixC

Doulouz - ‘ Biggest buzz I get now is from watches. Not interested in luxury stuff, and the Rolex BS watch as ready disposable asset in any jurisdiction, I'm into the biggest bang for buck: certain Seiko ranges and Longines Heritage.’

One of our friends has a collection of Rolexes that she has built up over a number of years and is very proud of. I nod and make approving noises, but they mean little to me. She has got nervous wearing them a couple of times on the tube when strangers have complimented her on her watch. I do like the utilitarian nature of Seikos and I’ve got a couple that I wear in rotation. The most recent is a mid size diver that is the only one I have found that doesn’t look ridiculous on my thin wrist, I have become obsessed with the perfection of its look and design. I’m considering a deep dive into the murky world of Seiko mods.

#24 2022-11-11 03:09:39

Spendthrift

'Biggest buzz I get now is from watches'

I get that. I've always had to make a very conscious effort not to go down the watch rabbit hole. Luckily or not, in my neck of the woods and day to day, a Rolex would either be presumed to be snide, carry the same connotations as a middle aged man in a red Ferrari or be ripped from your wrist as soon as you walk out the door. I've got a lovely (stopped) Seiko from early 70's that I've never bothered to get repaired or serviced but really a Timex or Fossil does me.

Thinking about the original post, what I really wish I had more of is a sense of reality regarding clothes. My poor boy's got an extra wardrobe in his bedroom crammed with my blazers/sportscoats. Don't need any of them and never have. More shirts in permanant storage than I ever needed in the first place and bags and boxes of clobber in the attic and garage.

I can honestly say that if I could go back I'd leave 99% of it and put the money towards fewer, better quality gear.

#25 2022-11-11 09:53:16

Kingston1an

Dulouz,

Hepcat on here, Pimpy on Dressedwell used to like Longines -'it shows you cannot be bought'. He used to get gently ribbed about it on there before the cranks took over. He like Turnbulll and Asser too.

He was a good poster.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

Board footer