You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-15 01:59:02

Tworussellstreet

Bald Ivy

Is being bald antithetical to the Ivy Look? At the age of 57 I remain unreconciled to the realities of my balding, nay almost now totally bald, pate. I shave it down to a number 1, as is generally now the accepted culturally approved response to baldness, and I quite like the appearance, but then if I don what I would consider a classic Ivy outifit - say an OCBD with a sack jacket, say Levis and loafers, then I feel there is an incompatibility between the expanse of skull and the softness and subtlety of the look. Tweed and bald do not like each other. Raincoat and bald is a disaster. The shaved head works with less old school styles, and closer fitting clothes, but bagginess and fogeyness do not look nice with bald. All opinions welcome. And may I just say, in case those old farts with a smidgen of hair still proudly and desperately sprouting from the top of their heads are feeling smug reading this - the ageing face, the ageing skin, the weedy grey hair - these too work against true expression of Ivy. Hair doesn't always trump baldness, but it can sometimes. So, a lament for the old me, a lament about ageing. Is the answer a discreet rug, a transplant, an acceptance of what I now am...? All ideas and speculation most welcome.

#2 2022-12-15 02:32:16

RobbieB

Re: Bald Ivy

I'm bald and have had a long time to get used to it as I started to recede in my twenties. In my 30s my nickname was Badger (as in bald as a badgers arse-Victorian expression-look it up). I have two Wahl made in USA clippers and I use them every 2/3 weeks with no number hair guides. I like the practicality of no hair to worry about.Ive always though that bald is not good for the ivy look but what are you going to do?
Ivy is maybe a young man's game but today young men dress like children.
Alternatively Ivy might be timeless and classic, so available to all and not connected to fashion.
What's worse is those aging guys with hair sporting faux mod haircuts.
Rugs,hairpieces or transplants are not the answer.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#3 2022-12-15 03:26:39

Spendthrift

I'm with Robbie on this. Mine was on the way out by my late teens so a regular grade 0 skim over with the Wahl is pretty much all I've ever done (apart from appalling and ill advised last dich attempts at a flat top and Weller centre parting)

Funnily enough, I don't think I'd have it back now if I could. I couldn't be done with the time and money a barber shop would take.

The only real issue I have is that if my head's not burning, it's freezing, so I've built up a huge collection of hats. Ball caps (bit preppy? Bit chav?) Newsboy ('Oi Oi Peaky Blinderrrrs!') watch caps (Oh Geno) I don't think any of them suit me particularly. If you're used to there not being anything 'up top' it doesn't look quite right for there to suddenly be a big lump of material there.

On the odd days when a hat isn't neccessary, I'm wary of sailing too close to skinhead territory, turned up jeans, longwings, bd, harrington. So go either soft ivy, corduroy or tweed, or old mod, desert boots, roll necks etc.

Of course, all the above does kind of rely on the idea that wherever I go people are watching, taking notes and trying to work out which youth cult this fifty year old knackered dad belongs to. Which I'm begining to suspect they're not.

Robbie's also right about those ageing mod feather cuts. I'm probably the most 'pro mod' on here, and I've never had any idea what that's all about

Last edited by Spendthrift (2022-12-15 03:52:25)

#4 2022-12-15 03:43:47

FlatSixC

Like Robbie mine went a long time ago and the retreat of my hairline was well underway by the time I was in my early thirties. My dad was as bald as a coot, so  was always reconciled to the fact that I would go the same way. So once the process started I soon gravitated to the No1. clipper cut. Don’t go for the full on shaven head though; if you’re a bit full in the face, or a bit gawky or wrinkly all it does is to accentuate that. A bit of fuzz or stubble looks better for some reason.

I agree that hair implants etc are not the answer, unless you are about to emigrate to New Zealand where nobody knows you. Otherwise no matter how successful the upgrade is, it will always ben the subject of speculation and hilarity amongst friends and family. I used to work with a bloke who was known as ‘Retread’ due to a failed transplant that grew like rows of spring wheat on his head. It’s as bad as having a pony tail in your fifties.

Let’s be honest, any style looks better on a man who has a full head of hair, but Ivy is vaunted as the cradle to grave look that accommodates your changing needs as you progress from your teens/twenties into the business world, then finally to later life where more leisure opportunities present. Despite any lack of hair, it’s still possible to age gracefully and look good in your clothes, but after a certain age tight clothes make you look like as though you are chasing your youth. So today I’m lounging at home in Lands End flannel lined chinos, a Champion college sweatshirt and a shawl neck cardigan with moccasin slippers.

Last edited by FlatSixC (2022-12-15 03:48:09)

#5 2022-12-15 05:47:36

FlatSixC

Hats are essential for anyone, not just the baldies. I say this as someone who is looking at having part of their nose lopped off and reconstructed due to a small sore patch that wouldn’t heal up, what seemed to be innocuous sun damage. Pissed off really as I’ve never been a sun worshipper or spent lots of time on beaches. I’ve been respectful of the sun for many years and made a point of wearing a hat. So take care you all and wear sunscreen.

Function trumps style and watch caps rule for me at the moment because it’s abnormally cold at the moment in the UK. I’ll do a baseball cap with a casual outfit, cheap ones look cheap and chavvy, so go for a better quality item from Ebbets Field or similar, they are fitted and don’t have the open bit and the adjustable strap at the back - looks much better. I like them well broken in with a good curve on the peak which should not be too long.

It’s a pity about the newsboy cap which used to be a niche thing, but has now gone mainstream since that crappy program. Every man and his dog are wearing them now. But I’ve a got a good collection and still use them.

Cotton rain hats are good for the summertime. I used to lean towards a pork pie but they now seem far closely too linked to Ska music and skin culture - clearly inappropriate for a man of advancing years.

#6 2022-12-15 06:16:47

Kingston1an

Yul Brenner used to be the only shaven-headed chap when I was a lad. It was his trademark.

There was allegedly a wrestler with a mohican haircut, but I never saw him on telly on Saturday afternoons. People used to be sponsored for charity to have their heads shaved.

Now shaven heads are commonplace and unremarkable. I would say acceptance is the best policy. Aging is unavoidable. I get offered seats on public transport - particularly if I am wearing a tweed jacket - though I am not disabled.

With raincoat and cap I got Victor Meldrew comments in Manchester. I think Victor was always neatly turned out though.

I would like to be suited and booted more, as I was Monday to Friday when I was at work, or out and about afterwards. Wearing a tie is difficult. There is an elderly chap I see around who always has a tie. Its been an old fashioned look for decades. I think it looks fine but dated. His wife was a spry lady with a pink beret, as worn by Mimi in La Boheme. I assumed she would outlive him. Sadly I saw him in Spoons and the fish and chip shop without her but with younger family members and I realised she must have died. He still soldiers on in his collar and tie though.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#7 2022-12-15 07:40:40

Staxfan

I guess I'm lucky, I'll soon to waving goodbye to my 60's but I've still got a reasonable head of hair, going a bit thin on top but still enough there to balance out the rest of the barnet. My Mrs was a hairdresser many years ago and if I'm looking too much like a ' salty old dog' ( her words), needing a shave and the barnet going a bit wayward, she let's me know and gets out the scissors.

A good friend of mine in his early 60's has lost his hair, I've known him around 25+ years and he's never had hair in that time, last Friday in the pub we were sitting at the bar, it was busy, some chap standing behind him coughed or spluttered over his head, to say the least my friend wasn't happy, gave the chap a few choice words, asked for a napkin from the bar person to wipe his head, fortunately we were just leaving, probably see him again tomorrow I'll need to get the full lowdown then, he was too angry last week !

I've always had a problem with hats , they just don't suit me, I wear a cotton bb cap in the sun, woolly hat or Orvis waxed bb cap for dog walking, but beyond that I try to avoid hats, if I wear a flat cap I'm straight into Del Boy territory even without a sheepskin coat or medallion,

and like many of us posting here I'm doing my best to age gracefully,

#8 2022-12-15 08:14:01

Kingston1an

I would wear a flat cap with a sheepskin. I have never had a medallion though.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#9 2022-12-15 08:26:02

RobbieB

FlatSixC- good advice on the hat front. I wear flat caps on a regular basis now, winter and summer. My optician recommended a peaked cap because I suffer with an eye problem and bright sunlight or reflection from snow is a problem. Sometimes I wear baseball caps.
Hats never used to suit me but now for some reason they  do.
Was 'Peaky Blinders' crap? I quite liked it. True all sorts of Herberts now wear flat caps but the more the merrier. Ha.

#10 2022-12-15 08:37:31

Staxfan

No 'H' in 'erberts' Rob, you gone posh or sumfink, haha,

#11 2022-12-15 08:48:17

Spendthrift

As an alternative to winter flat/newsboy caps, I recently bought a few wool mix ball caps from Amazon.
Very cheap but high % wool content and surprisingly good quality. Although unlined so not effective enough in this current bitter spell.
I do find I can’t wear a ball cap with anything smart like a sports coat. Which is a shame as many of the American and Japanese/Korean guys seem to carry that look off really well.

#12 2022-12-15 08:58:07

RobbieB

Stax- point taken. Erberts.Posh don't suit me.

#13 2022-12-15 09:06:04

RobbieB

Kingy-I would like to be suited and booted more, as I was Monday to Friday when I was at work, or out and about afterwards. Wearing a tie is difficult.

I have some sympathy for this viewpoint but in all honesty I can't see myself wearing a suit, outside of a wedding or funeral, in the near future. Sad but true. I wanted a JS linen suit which I would have worn but they didn't have my size when I went there

#14 2022-12-15 10:17:08

Dulouz

I shave my head every other day. My hair left to grow creates a mad professor look and I'm that far receded at the back it's what's known as a ''ring''.

Fortunately, I have a super good head where I can sport the Kojak variety and not look like a thug. Also wear glasses so think that helps (well you have to be careful with round glasses for obvious reasons). One forum member here has met me, so he might be able to shed some added perspective on that.

My brother has a different shaped head and he has one round of implants, GBP 14,000 and he needs another go. It looks good, but you can tell his hair has receded.

Out of interest I went to a place here that does the bald tattoos that make you look like it's a shaven head and not bald. About two and half grand Euros. Actually it looks pretty good and you wouldn't think it was anything other.

The big thing with a bald head is to keep it protected from the sun. Caps and sun block in summer, or you will get skin cancer.

#15 2022-12-15 11:45:04

Tim

Being that much younger, I still have a full head of hair and given how thick it is and how quickly it grows, I doubt that is going to change any time soon. I’m frequently told I look ten years younger than I am, which is always most gratifying. I used to wear a newsboy on occasion and I quite often stumble across a photo of myself in it now. I look a complete pleb in it and the cap was long ago left on a train or in the on back of a cab. I occasionally wear a woolen watch-cap at this time of year but generally I don’t bother with hats. I have long listed after an ebbetts field baseball cap but none of the teams really resonate with me.

#16 2022-12-15 11:54:37

Tworussellstreet

Good stuff chaps apart from Tim and Staxfan boasting about their luscious heads of hair. Bald is beautiful boys - didn't you know? What about the Prince/King Charles grown-out bald posh look - not exactly a comb over, but hair left to grow were it still emerges and then somehow manipulated into a style? Those Anderson and Sheppard suits would look terrible with a shaven head.

#17 2022-12-15 14:06:52

FlatSixC

2RS - ‘ What about the Prince/King Charles grown-out bald posh look - not exactly a comb over, but hair left to grow were it still emerges and then somehow manipulated into a style?’

I suppose he can’t look like a rough type. William is going down the same route although he’s already got less hair than the King, but he studiously avoids wearing a tie to avoid looking stuffy like Dad. When I first embraced the clippers in my thirties my mum said I looked like a convict, as at the time shorter hair wasn’t as common as it is now. It’s a style for the commoner and I can be as common as the best of them. The royals have to move slowly in these matters and have yet to join the 20th, sorry 21st century.

#18 2022-12-16 06:15:52

Tworussellstreet

I want my hair to look like it's illustrated in old Ivy clothes ad in 1960's Esquires - that perfect clean-cut side-parting. Never can happen. Sob. I'm just off to shine my head.

#19 2022-12-16 06:28:23

AlveySinger

The shaved head has become so commonplace now it's hard to think that in the Eighties anyone with that look was to be avoided at all costs.

My hair starting falling out in my late teens and was pretty rubbish before that. So I'm grateful that shaved heads are more socially acceptable.

I now see it as a streamlined look that perfectly complements the neat lines of the clothes I wear.

To keep in neat takes work. It reinforces the clean cut aesthetic.

2RS -get a tan on your scalp and like me you can pretend to be Stanley Tucci

#20 2022-12-16 10:29:43

Tworussellstreet

Ah yes Tucci - the bald man's hero. My skin tone isn't too pasty so it could be worse. I look OK bald. Just look better with hair. Or looked better with hair.

#21 2022-12-16 11:21:52

AndyV

I'm another fully paid-up member of the Bald Ivy Social Club and like Spendthrift, "Funnily enough, I don't think I'd have it back now if I could. I couldn't be done with the time and money a barber shop would take."
Surprisingly - as a man that worries about almost everything - I don't think I have ever thought/stressed about being bald.
However, the original post has now got me thinking whether a bald head does in fact go with a traditional Ivy look.
I'll be up all night worrying about that now!

#22 2022-12-16 18:25:43

Dulouz

''The shaved head has become so commonplace now it's hard to think that in the Eighties anyone with that look was to be avoided at all costs.''

Up until Beckham popularized it, the bald head look was associated with clone zone types, thugs and those who where undergoing chemo. It wasn't until sometime in the mid to later 1990s it really became mainstream.

#23 2022-12-17 02:52:23

Streetlight

Face it, you're all skinheads now.

Better than a leonine backcomb or aristocratic wave around the ears I suppose.

Last edited by Streetlight (2022-12-17 02:55:39)

#24 2022-12-17 04:03:41

RobbieB

I'm reliably informed that some women are attracted to bald men  (so long as the head is not tattooed )

#25 2022-12-17 07:31:46

Spendthrift

Clever lot those women. They’re not married at 19, three kids by mid twenties these days. Plus the ones on their second or third relationship.

If they’re going to wait a while, but still discount baldies, it’s a very small pool they’re drawing from

I’m seeing more and more women with tats on their face and neck now. I presume having run out of inkable space on the rest of their bodies?

Board footer