You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-16 10:32:43

Tworussellstreet

How to wear a beret

This winter I'm going to do it - wear my very nice, bought from JS, Basque Beret. Ooh Betty they will mock, sniggers will surround me on my urban perambulations but, hey, bugger 'em, I'm doing it. But, here's the big hitch - what to wear it with... ? How do you incorporate the beret into The Ivy Look?

#2 2022-12-16 13:02:18

Spendthrift

Re: How to wear a beret

If you’re not going to meet common sense half way and settle for a plain black or navy newsboy, you can only go the whole hog and add Paraboots, hitched up oversize trousers, striped sweater and a pencil moustache!
Seriously though, I see a lot of photos of those old French and Spanish guys wearing them well with big overcoats, straighter trousers and plain toed shoes.

#3 2022-12-16 14:00:32

FlatSixC

2RS - ‘ But, here's the big hitch - what to wear it with... ?’

Good for you. I came close to buying one in a gentlemans shop in Amstersdam (no not that kind of gentlemans shop) … but I bottled it. As to what to wear the beret with; it has to be a shabby raincoat surely, check with Wayne From Buckhurst Hill. Has to be single breasted though, not a double breasted Burberry which would be too Frank Spencer.

We will expect regular updates on Ivy Style of the day.

#4 2022-12-17 06:35:53

Yuca

If you don't look British then wearing a beret is perfectly acceptable. Why? I'm not going to speculate, but for whatever reason that seems to be the way it is. So, 2Rs, walk around talking (or singing) to yourself (or someone else) in Italian (or any other tongue) and no one will mock your hat.

And for what it's worth, imo the beret is a classic hat. What I'd wear one with I have no idea but definitely nothing too fashionable or try hard.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#5 2022-12-17 06:41:10

Streetlight

Berets make me think of Curiosity Killed The Cat.

#6 2022-12-17 06:46:20

Yuca

Yes definitely not to be worn with anything that looks late 1980s.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#7 2022-12-17 16:21:23

Tim

Wear it with whatever you like, the trick of them is to put it on from the back of the head, pull it forward as if to a peak and make sure you’ve something approaching a crease in the centre like a well-worn baseball cap.

#8 2022-12-18 01:00:57

RobbieB

You need a heavy herringbone Harris Tweed coat with raglan sleeves, at least knee length, baggy cord trousers and big, heavy boots of some description. Good luck with that.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#9 2022-12-19 07:45:08

Kingston1an

You could style it like Cheese and Egg(Brian Pringle) from 'The Dustbinmen' TV series.

This would include round NHS John Lennon specs, a grandad shirt with no collar, wide trousers tucked into boots( not  quite Zouave wide) and an old squaddie's jacket.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#10 2022-12-21 02:58:12

Tworussellstreet

Well here we have it - wear a beret a look like a twat. As David Cameron used to say "I get it". Not worn it out yet. About to leave the house on Sunday I popped it on my head and invited opinion from the family. My 15 year old son just shook his head and said "why..?" I get it.

#11 2022-12-21 08:33:27

An Unseen Scene

The best way to wear a beret is on someone else.

Context matters with them I think, a flat cap or equivalent is less obtrusive and in right context generally.

#12 2022-12-22 17:45:55

Dulouz

Citizen Smith style, 'innit!

#13 2022-12-24 08:20:43

Rivella

They're like Breton jumpers or tweed field coats. Great if you're the kind of guy who can make it work but otherwise it's easy to come across as a bit of an oddball. They're best reseved for their key demographic, old French blokes with a hunch.

#14 2023-01-12 19:04:31

Dulouz

On two of my bike rides over X-mas I spotted two people wearing berets. An old jazz cat with round tortoise spectacles and a lady with a red one on.

Board footer