You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-04 07:13:37

AlveySinger

THE COST OF IVY IN 2023

First the good news. There still appears to be plenty of Ivy or Ivy-ish options out there.

John Simons continues to bring in the goods in London. Add to this a plethora of on-line options and English manufacturers.

In general terms you can get everything, with the possible exception of Ivy jackets, relatively easy.

The only problem is that  - unless you're willing to go used/pre-owned/vintage - shoes and clothes are getting seriously expensive.

This issue is magnified by our niche tastes when a large proportion of the high street is rejected. You can't simply wait until the sales and guarantee what you're after will be available.

In 2022, I purchased cheap and expensive items. Unsurprisingly the cheap stuff failed to last, buttons came off, fabric faded or shrank.

I appreciate cost is relative value. What one person considers expensive the other might not but to get to the crux of this post I feel that we're now paying a hell of a lot more for the look than before.

Case in point - Bass Weejuns. The old Ivy hands decry the current quality and yet we're talking about £180 a pair - for a Blake stitched shoe made of corrected grain.

Alden loafers in the UK are now nearly £900.

Levi Vintage at full price are over £200 a pair.

Baracuta G4 Harringtons  are nudging £350.

I could carry on, at the risk of sounding like Scrooge, but I think you get the picture.

So what's the answer?

Each one of us will have a personal solution depending upon financial circumstances and outlook.

For some Ebay will continue to provide a treasure trove of authentic clothing at a viable price. Others will continue to dig deep; sourcing from the unlikely places like the lovely Peter Christian madras shirts. Possibly, paying full price on selected items.

So what's my strategy in 2023.

I don't need much but I'll focus on quality.

A few things will need replacing such as a lovely choc brown Vetra cord blazer that's fading in the elbows.

I will take advantage of sales/factory shops where possible. Rather than John Simons madras shirts I'll buy Pendleton seaside shirts on eBay.

I have always looked after my wardrobe - proper hangers, a sturdy clothes brush, lots of shoe polish - so I hope that with careful rotation the quality items continue to last the course.

#2 2023-01-04 07:44:57

Kingston1an

Re: THE COST OF IVY IN 2023

I have enough stuff. Fortunately much of it purchased when things were cheap.

Looking at sales offers online I think shops have a strategy of low stocks and minimal discounts.

Holidays are also expensive. Twice the cost to ski in areas with poor snow. Warmer holidays only marginally less.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#3 2023-01-04 08:26:00

FlatSixC

A good summary Alvey.

I’m as good as retired now so have no need to dress for work anymore, I went for a job interview the other day and to my relief I didn’t get it!  A proportion of my wardrobe is now largely irrelevant and likely to remain so. Good quality business suits, smart shirts, shoes and ties that will never see the light of day except for the odd hatching, matching or dispatching.

Recently I took Mrs Flat and her Mum out to an fairly upscale restaurant and made the effort of wearing a fairly casual JS wool suit, white BD shirt and knitted tie with loafers. It felt good to have the clobber on and earned extra brownie points with mother in law. But it was slightly dispiriting to arrive and find many of the other male patrons wearing T shirts and jeans … the w*nkers!

In a world where a head of state can arrive for a summit with Joe Biden and address Congress dressed in a T shirt I start to wonder what is the relevance of it all? Of course none of that applies to me, when I’m in the public eye standards will be maintained come rain or shine. Should the call come through for me to attend the Oval Office I will be ready and appropriately attired.

I endeavour to get dressed in varying degrees of Ivy smartness if I’m going to the pub for an hour or two, or out with mates or Mrs Flat for shopping or social, or some leisure activity - or away on holiday. But usually it’s only worn for a short time and because I have got far more clothing than I need and try to apply some sort of rotation, individual items only get used occasionally. I’ve got a range of utilitarian clothing for dossing/pottering at home and as soon as I get in the door the decent clobber goes away and I’m changed into sweatpants, army trousers, old Champion college sweatshirts etc. Because most of my Ivy stuff is reasonably good quality it lasts and lasts and it’s rare for anything to actually wear out. The odd vintage shirt acquired from the USA during the glory years of eBay will give up the ghost now and then and have to be jettisoned, but that’s about it.

Truth is I’m struggling for reasons to buy anything, but I still find myself looking!

Last edited by FlatSixC (2023-01-04 08:27:15)

#4 2023-01-04 10:05:35

Dulouz

^The Zelenskyy look is deliberate stagecraft to show his nation is on a total war footing and in contrast to the staid suit look of Putin. Suddenly, well not quite, the suit and tie is very old fashioned indeed.

Dressing up for a meal is always good endeavour.

#5 2023-01-04 12:16:08

colin
Bright Light

Were you still looking for a home for that J Press Donegal mist, FlatSixC, or am I making that up?

For me, its taken maybe a decade but I simply don't *need* (loosely defined) any more clothes. From time to time, I turn the collar of a well-worn shirt myself, but suits/jackets last the test of time, Shetlands last forever bar the odd restitching of holes, shoes get resoled etc.

Maybe there's a couple of things I'd like - a long sleeve madras shirt or maybe a tan duffle coat - but I can cope without. I keep an eye out for Florsheims in my size but import costs plus vintage premium on good shoes means I hardly look anymore.

Received a navy JS cord slack jacket as a present the other day and it's something that was outstanding as something I wanted to wear a lot.

Now, it's nice to have mostly found items on the cheap over the years and can now just wear them without any fuss. Vintage is still out there but I sort of look for bargains out of habit now, and could happily get out of that. There's more important things to be worrying about, to be honest.

I guess it would be a lot harder to seek out the ivy look today if you were just getting into it, but to be honest, that's probably less than 30 people across Britain...

#6 2023-01-09 07:10:11

AlveySinger

Just like you chaps I have enough clothes and shoes to last a long time.

I have bought in sales, factory outlets and whilst on holiday. Combine this with fairly narrow parameters of what I like and it's been relatively easy to build stock.

The problem is there is always something new on the horizon to tickle the fancy. One more shetland in a different pastel shade, one more pair of loafers and yet another madras shirt.

In the past I have lacked focus and been distracted by deals and availability rather than getting exactly what I want.

In truth it's probably down to getting around half a dozen items and then I'm done.

#7 2023-01-09 13:14:20

Streetlight

I prefer to travel than arrive. I see a pair of Paraboot Avignon in my future, just not yet. When the time is right I shall enter that doorway. It will be a beautiful day and, feeling the full weight of Talk Ivy upon me, I shall try a pair and decide there and then on a purchase.

#8 2023-01-10 02:31:36

FlatSixC

Streetlight - a great shoe choice that works well with casual or smarter outfits. I recommend trying the suede version which is the most comfortable piece of footwear  I’ve ever owned.

#9 2023-01-12 19:10:57

Dulouz

''Alden loafers in the UK are now nearly £900.''

Alden's have gone through the roof here too. I won't be buying any again soon.

C&J's benchgrade make more sense now. Bigger bang for your buck.

#10 2023-01-15 06:14:27

Rivella

I usually check the sales and when I see something decent I buy it and put it away in the replacement closet. Do I have too much stuff? Definitely but there are three lessons I've learned and base my decisions on:
- the stuff hardly gets any cheaper
- the quality only gets worse
- who knows if it will still be available in the future
Aldens are the best example for this, they were 849€ a year ago and now they are 1049€. I'm glad my Norvegians were bought on sale for 599€. Nowadays C&J cordovans are the far better choice, "cheaper" and better make.
My preferences make it easy to identify stuff I like and avoid mistakes. Sticking to certain colours only helps.

Last edited by Rivella (2023-01-15 06:14:49)

#11 2023-01-19 20:22:34

Dulouz

Notice the Frans Boone store now gives prices excluding VAT. I see what they're doing there.

The thinner, more summer lasts of Aldens, you can still get under €800. But in that price range, as Rivella states, you're better off going C&J's Benchgrade. Unless you specifically want the style. The crepe and waxed soles are good, but seasonal.

Think the answer lies in a hybrid style and for me, that means certain Ralphy stuff. Particularly the madras, plaid shirts and dyed oxford shirts. Chore and bomber jackets.  A little bit preppy at times.

Much has changed in the last 10 years. With BB effectively dead, J.Press a rip-off with import duties, Mercer & Sons have reduced cloth offerings, etc, etc.

But I do notice that Kamakura have a Miles Davis Milestones album cover inspired, Graham Marsh OCBD just in. That ticks all the boxes.

#12 2023-01-20 02:28:22

FlatSixC

Dolouz - ‘ But I do notice that Kamakura have a Miles Davis Milestones album cover inspired, Graham Marsh OCBD just in. That ticks all the boxes.’

Yes that does look nice. I have to say that I had a Harry Stedman ‘Miles Green’ BD once and I didn’t find the colour particularly wearable, however that’s just me.

I have bought from Kamakura when they had a shop in NYC, their Graham Marsh shirts are excellent as is their customer service. But with $25 shipping, an import nibble from customs and the poor exchange rate, a $120 shirt is soon nudging the £150 mark for us in the UK. Obviously it would be slightly more cost effective if you bought more than one shirt. But it occurs that for another tenner or so you could support a small business and go M2M with Jake’s Tailoring. I have one of Jake’s shirts which is up to old Brooks Makers standards - the highest accolade for a shirt in my opinion.

#13 2023-01-20 06:07:45

RobbieB

I've been thinking about ordering a Jake's shirt and it's good to hear that you rate the quality so highly FlatSixC. I think the quality of the £120 JS shirts is really disappointing but the fit of my latest JS shirt is excellent but buttons not sewn on properly and stiching quite poor in general. Even the cut cloth for the top pocket is bad.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#14 2023-01-20 14:56:58

Tim

RobbieB - I’ve two Jakes shirts, they’re utterly superb. Currently waiting for him to have a story sale on Instagram and if he’s something interesting in my size, I’ll have no hesitation in snapping it up. Were I not short on funds presently, I’d have had a couple of his flannel offerings without compunction.

#15 2023-01-20 21:17:18

Dulouz

''Yes that does look nice. I have to say that I had a Harry Stedman ‘Miles Green’ BD once and I didn’t find the colour particularly wearable, however that’s just me.''

I've got that too, dug it out of storage last week. At the height of my pure Ivy jazz cat look, had it on at a mate's 50th with knitted tie and I remember someone coming up to me and saying ''You must be Sam's friend who organises the North Sea Jazz Festival.''

Was pretty chuffed as I had created a vibe and a look that beamed a message to the observer. 18 months later and a major operation later I had moved away from the look. Another 18 months on top of that, moved on from just listening exclusive to modern and big jazz on 12'' vinyl and Mosaic box sets. That had become a very expensive hobby.

In the words of Mark Murphy, ''Time moves on as do the masters of jazz...''

Yesterday, online I bought a load of Ralphy's new in madras shirts, you can't go wrong there. Top of their game.

#16 2023-01-22 18:28:44

Staxfan

FSC - Kamakura shirts - I could be wrong but I thought I read on their website that UK duty & taxes were included in the price, ‘ Blues menswear ‘ based in Yorkshire I believe, stock Kamakura, so no ( potential), extras, and easy returns,
Robbie- Jakes shirts, I considered one a  couple of years ago and had some contacts with Jake, his shirts are a traditional fit, I think p2p was 25 inches on a 16 collar, so too billowy for me, not wanting to put anyone off them but I think Woof said the one he had was a bugger to iron,Tim’s speaking from experience so probably ignore me, haha

#17 2023-01-23 07:18:32

AlveySinger

When you dig into the site the stock levels on the Kamakura Vintage Ivy shirts is pretty low.

I purchased the original batch of the Miles green shirt. Their Oxford is very good quality. I appreciate that the colour isn't for everyone. I wear mine with dark jeans and dark brown suede C&J Bostons.

#18 2023-01-23 10:34:51

colin
Bright Light

Question of what layers to wear over a green Miles shirt, though? A challenge, but one worth embarking on!

#19 2023-01-25 06:06:30

AlveySinger

I have worn a navy jackets with mine. Cord in Autumn and cotton in spring.

Treat it like a very casual shirt. Jeans and cords only.

#20 2023-01-26 06:29:35

RobbieB

AS reminds me that I have always liked the blue/green combination going right back to when I had a bottle green Harrington that I used to wear with a blue OCBD shirt as a teenager. One of my school mates used the expression 'blue and green should never be seen' on several occassions. He played it safe with an off white Harrington. He must have got to me as I still remember him saying it to me.

Last edited by RobbieB (2023-01-26 06:30:53)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#21 2023-01-26 14:26:51

FlatSixC

I’m not sure what the foundation for ‘blue and green should never be seen’ is.

It’s a great combo, Black Watch tartan springs to mind.

#22 2023-01-27 02:31:29

Spendthrift

Blue and green look great together.

Blue denim with green knitwear's a classic. And as FlatSix says, black watch. In fact a lot of other tartans feature blue and green.

I think the only similar rule that can still apply is 'red and green should never be seen without a colour inbetween' - but then someone will pop up wearing a Barbour with a red Shetland and that'll probably look great too.

#23 2023-01-27 18:16:41

Dulouz

Blue in green certainly worked on Kind of Blue.

Board footer